cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

2009 Journey Ticking Noise

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 e_bodydude

e_bodydude
  • 82 posts

Posted March 5, 2011 at 01:26 pm

Hi everyone. My wife's Journey makes a ticking noise when driving only. When accelerating, the noise seems to stop but then continues as the car comes up to speed. The sound is similar to that of a frayed speedometer cable(in a car that has one) but only occurs while the car is moving. This being her first new car has has her concerned that this could be a symptom of somthing major in the future. I told her that it sounds like something to do with transmission or drive shafts and to take it to the dealer to check out. Does anyone have any ideas? I allways seem to think of the worst case senerio. Thanks.

#2 Doug D

Doug D

Virginia Gentleman

• 9,055 posts

Posted March 5, 2011 at 01:36 pm

Sure it's not a stone or rock caught in the tread? Happens all the time with my Ram (I just put new tires on a few months ago). Just a thought. If you're still under warranty (you don't mention what year the Journey is) it can't hurt to take it in to the dealer.

#3 e_bodydude

e_bodydude
  • 82 posts

Posted March 5, 2011 at 06:25 pm

Sure it's not a stone or rock caught in the tread? Happens all the time with my Ram (I just put new tires on a few months ago). Just a thought. If you're still under warranty (you don't mention what year the Journey is) it can't hurt to take it in to the dealer.

Hello, Doug D. That is what I thought at first, but checked all of the tires and they're free of rocks. And, yes, the warranty is still in effect because the car has only 24k mi on it. Thanks.

#4 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 11,774 posts

Posted March 6, 2011 at 11:03 am

Is this the 3.5L? Does the ticking get faster with engine speed or road speed? Drop it down a gear and see if the ticking speed changes more with the tach than the speedometer.
There were instances of SRV/MTV (short runner or manifold tuning valve) noises would 'tick' at camshaft speeds. This ticking could also (but maybe not always) happen with the car in Park.
If it only happens with the car in motion, it could be drivetrain-related.
I would let the dealer handle it.

#5 e_bodydude

e_bodydude
  • 82 posts

Posted March 12, 2011 at 08:02 am

Is this the 3.5L? Does the ticking get faster with engine speed or road speed? Drop it down a gear and see if the ticking speed changes more with the tach than the speedometer.
There were instances of SRV/MTV (short runner or manifold tuning valve) noises would 'tick' at camshaft speeds. This ticking could also (but maybe not always) happen with the car in Park.
If it only happens with the car in motion, it could be drivetrain-related.
I would let the dealer handle it.

Thanks ImperialCrown, I've been trying for a week to get my wife to do what you suggested but she keeps forgetting. Today is Saturday and she is taking the Journey to the dealer to have it checked out . I'll post the results when she gets home from the dealer and will test drive it myself.

#6 e_bodydude

e_bodydude
  • 82 posts

Posted March 13, 2011 at 07:21 pm

Yesterday my wife took the Journey to the dealer hoping they would discover the noise during their 23 point inspection. They didn't notice the noise but they did inform her of a recall on the passenger door wiring for the window regulator. So, this morning I took it for a ride. The ticking nois seems to only be noticable when the car is warmed up and at slower speeds (20 or 30 mph). I downshifted and the tempo of the noise changed with the engine speed.

#7 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • 11,774 posts

Posted March 14, 2011 at 02:58 am

You probably will need to road test the Journey with the service advisor or service technician that looked at it to point out the ticking noise. A 23-point inspection is basically for normal wear and maintainence items only.

#8 e_bodydude

e_bodydude
  • 82 posts

Posted May 13, 2011 at 04:10 pm

Hi everyone. An update on the Journey ticking situation: new tires. Since the new tires, my wife hasn't complained about the noise. I did check for rocks in the tire tred but didn't find any. It is possible I missed one, though. Anyway, I thought I would let everyone know the outcome. I hate it when I'm reading through the archives and come upon a posted problem similer to that which I'm having and no resolution to the problem is posted. Thanks for your interest and insight.

#9 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • 11,774 posts

Posted May 13, 2011 at 06:00 pm

Thank you for posting the resolution.

#10 chuzz

chuzz
  • 5,052 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 at 07:52 am

How many miles did you have on the tires? Seems a shame that you already had to have a new set after just a couple of years.

#11 Doug D

Doug D

Virginia Gentleman

• 9,055 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 at 08:22 am

How many miles did you have on the tires? Seems a shame that you already had to have a new set after just a couple of years.

Chuzz, I am not surprised he replaced the tires. The OEM Kumho tires that come on the Journey's are not a long lasting tire. Our '09 had 47K on it when we traded it in and the tires (Kumho) were ready for replacement as they would not have passed the next safety inspection. Aside from the brake issue, that's probably the 2nd biggest complaint - tires.

#12 e_bodydude

e_bodydude
  • 82 posts

Posted June 4, 2011 at 04:06 pm

Hi chuzz. The old front tires were Kumho's and they had 27,000 miles on them. The back ones ar still hangin in there, barely.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.