cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

Wipers

5 replies to this topic

#1 LBA

LBA
  • 269 posts

Posted March 16, 2011 at 07:13 pm

Guess no more wiper inserts for sale anymore? Gotta buy the whole assembly? Not that big a deal pricewise; just seems another indication of throw-it-away culture.

#2 moparroy

moparroy
  • 673 posts

Posted March 16, 2011 at 07:49 pm

Guess no more wiper inserts for sale anymore? Gotta buy the whole assembly? Not that big a deal pricewise; just seems another indication of throw-it-away culture.

You can still get them at Crappy Tire and Princess Auto in Canada - but not sure about 28" once for minivan - I switched our vans to 24" so I could use inserts - works fine - don't even notice the difference.

#3 Doug D

Doug D

Virginia Gentleman

• 9,055 posts

Posted March 16, 2011 at 07:57 pm

Last I checked Advance Auto still carried inserts but only for the OEM style. Since I usually replace the whole assembly, I didn't really pay attention to what inserts they actually had.

I have HydroGuard wipers on my Ram (from Safelite when I had the windshield repaired). They worked fine at first but after 6 months they chatter if there isn't enough rain on the windshield. I plan on going back to the OEM style next time around.

I tried to use Rain-X wipers but they would not connect to the arm correctly (they were on sale) so I had no option but to use the OEM style. As I recall there was a clip of some sort missing with the Rain-X.

#4 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 11,774 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted March 17, 2011 at 03:18 am

I remember 'cut-to-length' wiper refills. Most people have problems installing them correctly and stocking just the blades is more convienient and simpler than refills. Usually by the time the rubber is worn out, the blade itself is beat too.
There was a customer at the parts counter once that wanted the parts store to buy him a new windshield because the wiper they sold him scratched the glass. Many parts stores will install the blades for you if you don't know how. Many people have no idea how to change a wiper blade.

#5 TripleJ

TripleJ
  • Inactive
  • 10 posts

Posted March 17, 2011 at 03:31 pm

In my opinion time is money and messing with refills gives me gray hair! I always replace the entire wiper blade due the the abuse Wisconsin winters put on them. I buy wipers for all my vehicles at the same time and order them online. 5-10 minutes and done... When I trip over the box at my front door, I put them on and it takes me maybe 5 minutes for two vehicles. Here's info for your 1997: https://www.wipers12...=Town & Country

Oh...and I almost forgot - they have the special rear wipers for the newer T&C's: https://www.wipers12...=Town & Country

Edited by TripleJ, March 17, 2011 at 03:34 pm.

#6 Bens90W150

Bens90W150
  • Inactive
  • 19 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 at 05:24 pm

I had bad experience with Rain-X too. They bounce across the windshield of my wife 2000 Concorde. The 22 passenger side wiper blade is already splitting at both ends. I guess from the link, you recommend Trico as best?

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.