cars

allpar, the Chrysler - Dodge - Jeep car and truck site

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

Ram Lifestyle Truck: Still A GO for production.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
122 replies to this topic

#1 redriderbob

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!

• 1,244 posts

Posted May 13, 2011 at 06:25 am

It seems that the Ram "Lifestyle Truck" is still a huge go. It will be based off of a front wheel drive platform. So that means when the Dakota wraps up production at the Warren Truck plant, that the Ram 1500 will be the only thing built there. The new Ram mini truck (hopefully named Rampage, but is not codenamed that) will be built alongside some of the new front wheel drive cars coming out. It will be similar to the Honda Ridgeline in size. It will offer optional an all wheel drive system and will have the pentastar engine standard and no the HEMI will not be optional. The purpose is to keep the price below the Ram 1500. Unlike the Dakota which is now basically priced similar to the Ram 1500. For those who are worried about the truck not being here in the United States, think again. Like I said, it will be built alongside another front wheel drive architecture vehicle. I can't give out too many details, but that's what I know so far. Look for a 2013 introduction as a 2014 model. This "Lifestyle Truck" will be a new niche for the Ram brand and will not compete the upcoming Jeep pickup.

redriderbob

#2 Jeepnut

Jeepnut
  • Supporters III
  • 2,809 posts

Posted May 13, 2011 at 06:52 am

So did it switch from Minivan to CUSW platforms or still minivan

#3 UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL
  • 5,151 posts

Posted May 13, 2011 at 07:33 am

Thanks for the info!

#4 patfromigh

patfromigh
  • 1,569 posts

Posted May 13, 2011 at 07:39 am

I'm OK with the size as long as it doesn't look like the Ridgeline.

#5 Jeepnut

Jeepnut
  • Supporters III
  • 2,809 posts

Posted May 13, 2011 at 07:42 am

I really liked the Rampage concept from a few years ago I wouldn't mind if it looked similar to that

#6 o_swas

o_swas
  • Supporters III
  • 90 posts

Posted May 13, 2011 at 09:38 am

Hopefully it will have some of the minivan-like features from the Rampage that would make it really stand out in the market -- I'm thinking specifically of the sliding rear doors and stow-n-go rear seats, along with the wall between the cab and the box that can be folded down for a longer bed length.

#7 MoparNorm

MoparNorm

Active Jeeper

• Supporters III
  • 24,368 posts

Posted May 13, 2011 at 10:05 am

This "Lifestyle Truck" will be a new niche for the Ram brand and will not compete the upcoming Jeep pickup.

Newsflash for Diaz, Jeepers don't give a rip about Dodge Trucks, except as tow vehicles to get our Jeeps to the trail-head. There is NO "compete" between Dodge Ram and Jeep.

#8 CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision
  • 3,900 posts

Posted May 13, 2011 at 10:55 am

Front wheel drive. Sounds like if I ever want a real lifestyle truck I'll have to do what others are doing. Turning my Cherokee into a 4 door micro bed truck. And the idea is catching on. People are now doing it to Explorers and 4 Runners. A neutered front wheel drive vehicle isn't going to provide the towing and durability capability I want in a lifestyle truck.

#9 suzq044

suzq044

Resident Photoshop Nerd

• Supporters III
  • 4,341 posts

Posted May 13, 2011 at 11:21 am

Yeah.. the downside to "lifestyle" is .. what lifestyle do u refer to?

'i only need a truckbed every now and then and I don't go offroad, and I only tow a small trailer occasionally. I do like the look of that avalanche/escalade.. hmm, and this one by ram is cheaper..'

#10 Mike V.

Mike V.

• 9,819 posts

Posted May 13, 2011 at 11:25 am

Front wheel drive. Sounds like if I ever want a real lifestyle truck I'll have to do what others are doing. Turning my Cherokee into a 4 door micro bed truck. And the idea is catching on. People are now doing it to Explorers and 4 Runners. A neutered front wheel drive vehicle isn't going to provide the towing and durability capability I want in a lifestyle truck.

However, your needs may in a minority compared to the needs of others. Unfortunately, I don't think anything could replace your Cherokee.

Big Mopar show in Ennis tomorrow, see you there? I'll be coming up 35 this afternoon.

Mike

#11 valiant67

valiant67

Rich, Corinthian Leather

• Supporters III
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 22,469 posts

Posted May 13, 2011 at 11:57 am

Not everyone is a "Jeeper", though. I would cross-shop a "Dakota replacement" against a "Jeep pickup". I did shop a Dakota vs. the Commache back 1987 and 1989, Dakota won the packaging, Jeep the engne. Both times I ended up with a Dakota, but if the new "Dakota" is too much lifestyle and not enough truck, the Jeep (if it comes to be) could win next time.

#12 Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man

Move along, nothing to see here

• 1,390 posts

Posted May 13, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Let's face it, the final model version of Dakota and Ram 1500 were stepping all over each other. I believe the idea here is to seriously differentiate the lifestyle truck away from the 1500.

By "lifestyle" I think they mean "urban". This is the vehicle for the homeowner who needs to haul stuff from Home Depot for home projects on the weekends. They needs something that can do the dirty work, but also still use as a daily driver, but they don't want or need the capability of a full size pickup.

#13 Marauder_Pilot

Marauder_Pilot
  • 1,848 posts

Posted May 13, 2011 at 12:16 pm

The problem with all the previous lifestyle trucks (Ford Explorer Sport-Trac, Honda Ridgeline, Subaru Baja) is that they've all had some sort of major fault.

The Ridgeline is butt-ugly, and not enough truck.

The Baja was too car-based, without the muscle-car novelty that things like the Ranchero and El Camino had.

The Explorer...well, it was an Explorer when it was an awful time to be an Explorer.

#14 valiant67

valiant67

Rich, Corinthian Leather

• Supporters III
  • 22,469 posts

Posted May 13, 2011 at 12:27 pm

The problem with all the previous lifestyle trucks (Ford Explorer Sport-Trac, Honda Ridgeline, Subaru Baja) is that they've all had some sort of major fault.

The Ridgeline is butt-ugly, and not enough truck.

The Baja was too car-based, without the muscle-car novelty that things like the Ranchero and El Camino had.

The Explorer...well, it was an Explorer when it was an awful time to be an Explorer.

Another common fault - not a one of them has sold in the volumes predicted before their release. That makes me think it's a difficult market to crack or simply a small market.

#15 Thomas Hilton III (converted)

Thomas Hilton III (converted)
  • Guests

Posted May 13, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Another common fault - not a one of them has sold in the volumes predicted before their release. That makes me think it's a difficult market to crack or simply a small market.

But what about the GM offerings? Avalanche, Escalade EXT.

#16 Seanjnl1

Seanjnl1
  • 607 posts

Posted May 13, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Chrysler already tried a FWD truck in the 80's. It was a gigantic sales bomb. The problem is that once the bed is loaded down, the front wheels unload from the ground, and the vehicle becomes unstable to drive. Offering AWD will help, but who knows how many people will get that.

I have no problem with a lifestyle truck. I would even consider getting one. I just think that it will have to be RWD to have any type of success.

Edited by Seanjnl1, May 13, 2011 at 12:35 pm.

#17 LXbuilder

LXbuilder
  • Supporters (L2)
  • 956 posts

Posted May 13, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Problem for these "lifestyle" trucks is a lot of guys that don't need a big pick-up truck still want them. I work with a bunch of guys that have hemi Rams and never ever put anything bigger than a hockey equipment dufflebag in the box. They don't need a truck, they just like trucks and would not even look at a "lifestyle" truck. That said if fuel keeps going up,up,up maybe some would consider a vehicle with better mileage and a similar look. :D

#18 valiant67

valiant67

Rich, Corinthian Leather

• Supporters III
  • 22,469 posts

Posted May 13, 2011 at 12:56 pm

But what about the GM offerings? Avalanche, Escalade EXT.

Same there, Avalanche never sold in the volumes first predicted. I don't know how it is doing currently.

#19 MoparNorm

MoparNorm

Active Jeeper

• Supporters III
  • 24,368 posts

Posted May 13, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Not everyone is a "Jeeper", though.

Agreed, my comment was in direct response to the Dodge vs. Jeep statement in the quote.
Dodge owners might indeed look at a Jeep truck (for all the wrong reasons) but not very many Jeepers will look at Dodge, as their primary off road vehicle.
Chrysler (Dodge) foolishly killed Jeep Trucks because they feared a loss of Dodge Ram sales, that may have been partially true, but they opened the door for former Jeep truck owners to switch to Toyota 4x4's, not the larger and less nimble, Dodge Ram.

#20 The Luigiian

The Luigiian
  • 134 posts

Posted May 13, 2011 at 02:12 pm

Problem for these "lifestyle" trucks is a lot of guys that don't need a big pick-up truck still want them. I work with a bunch of guys that have hemi Rams and never ever put anything bigger than a hockey equipment dufflebag in the box. They don't need a truck, they just like trucks and would not even look at a "lifestyle" truck. That said if fuel keeps going up,up,up maybe some would consider a vehicle with better mileage and a similar look. :D

You just brought up the other big reason lifestyle trucks have failed.

Honda Ridgeline, Ford Explorer Sport Trak, and Avalanche all get or got mileage numbers similar to the full-size trucks. At which point, why would anybody bother considering one?

The only one that got the mileage to make this idea work was the Subaru Baja. It's a cute car, but it didn't have the bed size or midgate that would be required to make the idea work.

I personally think the Toyota A-BAT concept, minus the ugly looks, was the closest anybody got to a concept that would actually sell. Hybrid four-cylinder drivetrain, upright trucklike looks, midgate standard, and tall ground clearance are the attributes a winner in the niche would need. The only thing it needed was to have the styling toned down a bit.

As for this Mopar concept, I thought it had potential, with the most potential being in the Fiat Strada truck, reconfigured a bit to American tastes. It wasn't the best looking but at least it would have the fuel mileage. Now I wonder though. I just don't think Chrysler can configure the Pentastar, nor a Ridgeline-sized truck, to get the mileage necessary to make it big in the segment. If it gets any less than 21 mpg combined city-highway, the big truck guys are going to go "But hey, I can buy a V6 F-150 [and likely the new Pentastar Dodge Ram coming out soon] and get 19 mpg combined, what's the point of switching down to this thing for a measly 2 mpg?" Meanwhile the compact truck guys will say it's too big, the crossover people have long abandoned trucks and SUVs for, well, crossovers, and the remaining off-road SUV people will continue buying (with a few exceptions) Jeeps.

The price difference is nice, but then, you can buy a Tacoma that's far cheaper than a Ram, it's just that nobody wants those versions of the truck because they're either short on features or short on machismo. And I can't imagine those truck guys going gaga for a FWD unibody in the first place.

Edited by The Luigiian, May 13, 2011 at 02:14 pm.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.