cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

Clearing Diagnostic Codes 2005 Dodge Caravan

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 kenco80233

kenco80233
  • Inactive
  • 17 posts

Posted October 8, 2011 at 09:42 pm

I have a 2005 Dodge Caravan.3,3 engine.My check engine light came on the other day.I was close to an auto parts store,where they checked it for me.A P0406 code came up. I purchased a EGR valve and replaced it. I unhooked the battery while I was changing it. After re-starting the check engine light went out and car is running good.My question is When I unhooked the battery,did that erase the code,or will it show up at the state emisions test? (The state test is plugging into the code reader under the dash)I have to get it tested to renew my license next month.

#2 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 11,770 posts

Posted October 9, 2011 at 03:06 am

If the 'ck eng' light is out, the fault is either no longer active or has been erased. The newer cars have been getting away from being able to erase the stored code with a simple battery disconnect and others need the battery disconnected for hours to erase a code. Some new cars require a scan tool to erase a fault code (non-volitile memory).
Auto parts stores around here will not erase a code for you, even if you ask them to (probably because of legal liability and lessons learned from lawsuits).
If the light stays out, you have nothing to worry about. The OBD II state emission test looks for various emission monitors that the PCM tests as being passed. A vehicle won't pass a state test immediately after a fault goes away because the OBD II monitprs have to run first. After the monitors run and pass their tests, the vehicle will pass the state test. It takes about 3 'good trips' (warm-ups, cool-downs and drive-cycles) to run the emission monitor tests. The monitor test results are lost with a battery disconnect. The fuel tank has to be over a 1/4 full and the speedometer signal needs to be present in order to run the monitors.
I think that the PCM tests the EGR action by turning on the EGR valve while watching the MAP for a vacuum drop under conditions determined by the PCM software. This is done invisibly to the driver.

#3 kenco80233

kenco80233
  • Inactive
  • 17 posts

Posted October 9, 2011 at 02:22 pm

.I was worried that I would have to go to the dealer before getting the state smog test next month ,so with normal driving and without any more trouble it should pass OK. Thanks again for the information

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.