cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

Lost all (most) transmission fluid while driving...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 88DaytonaD

88DaytonaD
  • 293 posts

Posted November 22, 2011 at 06:35 pm

Hey folks,
My question is, is it possible any damage has happened in that short amount of time? I sure hope not, I cannot afford a transmission failure. Here's the back-story;
Dinah has been working great but tonight I got a call from my girlfriend who had run out to get a few things and she said that the car wouldn't move when she put it in drive. She also mentioned that she had to stop at a light, and the car wouldn't move right away and then all of a sudden it lurched forward. So I told her to stay there and I went up to see what I could see. Just as I thought, one of the clamps on the cooler lines worked itself loose and the hose popped off. I wouldn't say the car was driven any more than 1km pumping fluid out, there was a lot around her parking spot and when I coasted the car to a level spot and poured a quart in, the transmission engaged into all gears, but nothing was showing on the dipstick, so I just left the car and I'll fill it up with new fluid later tonight.

Thanks!
I'll find out tonight either way if there is anything wrong with her, hoping not!

Chris

#2 Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln

"CHECK FAULT CODES"

• Supporters (L2)
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 25,354 posts

Posted November 22, 2011 at 08:02 pm

Well, if the A413 is as tough as the A904 was, no worries. My dad once borrowed my 66 Belvedere wagon with slant-6 and auto, and one of the cooler hoses let go. He drove it 70 miles home - ("it shifted rough, but I made 3rd gear, so I kept going"). When I got to it, it was down 5 quarts on fluid and the dipstick was dry. I filled it, and it behaved normally for the year that I had the car after that. However, highway mileage dropped permanently from 20 mph to 16, despite me paying for a 'rebuild' (which they probably didn't do). The tach i installed showed the revs were the same, but the torque converter must have taken a hit. But I could have driven it forever despite that. I suggest changing fluid and filter.

#3 B10alia

B10alia
  • 1,686 posts

Posted November 22, 2011 at 10:40 pm

I'd be more concerned about the low pressure causing partial engagment on your frictions than worrying about lube or stuff like that, 1/2 mile isn't that much. You might not see any issues; anything that shows up you can probably clear up with a fluid and filter change and a band adjustment. The 413 has Torqueflite in its veins.

#4 88DaytonaD

88DaytonaD
  • 293 posts

Posted November 23, 2011 at 12:40 am

If it was a 413 I'd not worry too much, I have one in the shed at home, however, it was an A604. I got some fluid, filled it up, took about 4 quarts total, and drove around for awhile. Shifts through all gears smoothly, downshifts will when you ask it to, and no whines or hesitations. I'd say we managed to dodge a bullet. I'll be picking up a few clamps and double clamp the lines coming off of the radiator. The ones on my external cooler should be fine as I didn't disturb them, but I think this line that came off was the one I removed in September to do the fluid/filter change.
Thanks for the input, I just wanted to know if others might have had a similar experience and what the outcomes were. I think that we'll be just fine!

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.