cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

Pentastar Reliability?

Just Askin...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 juma1998

juma1998

Moparaholic

• 2,429 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 at 09:40 am

I have a pretty general question. How are the Pentastar Engines holding up? A buddy of mine who used to work in a C-J-D Dealer.. who still is a Mopar guy says he is concearned about the Pentastar's reliability. He said its so similar to the engine GM used, and was loaded with issues... especially timing chain issues.

Any issues with this engine?

My reply to him was just because it WAS SIMILAR -- IT IS NOT THE SAME.

#2 Dave

Dave

It's me, Dave

• Supporters
  • Others:Superfriend
  • 20,635 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 at 10:31 am

I think he's talking out of his hat, that said, I'm starting to hear there might be a "common problem" (which is to say, among those that fail, there might be one component at fault, and it's not the timing chain). Which doesn't mean it's a bad engine -- with so many made, some are bound to fail.

Here's the good side -- Chrysler is now apparently looking for any small number of warranty repairs as a cause for investigation and fixes, so if there IS a problem, they're on it.

#3 ChrisJC

ChrisJC
  • 275 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 at 11:09 am

Chrysler frankly can't afford to have yet another 3.0L Mitsusquishy, or a self-destructing 2.7L. Considering they've nearly put all of their eggs in one basket by dumping the 3.6L into almost every vehicle they produce... if it were to have a major issue- the fallout would be almost pathetically funny, not to mention the insurrection of owners. Among many other models, Chrysler would have to recall every single minivan produced from 2011 on...

I wish Chrysler the best with the 3.6L, but I won't be surprised one bit if this comes back to bite them in the tailpipe.

#4 Doug D

Doug D

Virginia Gentleman

• 9,054 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 at 11:47 am

Just 'cause your 3.8L (another very reliable engine) had issues doesn't mean the 3.6L will. For the most part, all the MoPar engines we've had have been very reliable - that includes the /6 225, 318 V8, 360 V8, 3.8L. 5.7L Hemi and the 3.5L.

FWIW - I don't consider the 3.0L Mitsu a "Chrysler" engine.

I agree with Dave - statistically speaking - with as many as they are producing there are bound to be a few that have "problems".

#5 juma1998

juma1998

Moparaholic

• 2,429 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 at 11:49 am

Frankly,

Chrysler cannot afford anything to happen with any product they are producing. I keep asking the question... HOW MANY MORE PEOPLE CAN SAY... "I WILL NEVER OWN ANOTHER POS CHRYSLER.."

Or "WHY THE Heck DID YOU BUY A CHRYSLER?"

Before the complete demise of the company?

#6 B10alia

B10alia
  • 1,680 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Unfortunately the "POS Chrysler" people are often those who refuse to maintain their cars. Any car, regardless of the badge, will break down if not maintained. It seems like there was a lot of R&D that went into the Pentastar, particularly regarding quality. I personally think it's a step in the right direction. And let's not forget the 2.2/2.5 for reliability. Even those had their issues, every engine has design flaws. And I believe one of the Japanese manufacturers, either Honda or Toyota, I can't remember which, holds the record for the LARGEST sludging recall ever.
To the OP, which GM motors was your friend referring to?

Edited by B10alia, January 16, 2012 at 12:35 pm.

#7 ChrisJC

ChrisJC
  • 275 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Just 'cause your 3.8L (another very reliable engine) had issues doesn't mean the 3.6L will.

Actually, my 3.8L is not why I made that comment at all. To do so would be incredibly naive and short-sighted of me. There are countless vans over at ChryslerMinivan.net with the same motor that get treated far worse than mine does, and have gone well past 200k.

However, the 3.0L Mitsusquishy and the 2.7L are known for being terrible units. Hence, my comment. Chrysler has also, for one reason or another, ignored some pretty serious problems with its models from year to year. Not exactly the type of behavior that bolsters confidence.

If the 3.6 blows up in Chrysler's face and we see every dealer loaded to the gills with every minivan made since 2011, plus all the higher end 200's and such... I won't be the *least* bit surprised. Hey, it only took Chrysler twelve years to fix the cruddy sway-bar bushing issue on the vans... no biggie.

Edited by ChrisJC, January 16, 2012 at 12:35 pm.

#8 KOG

KOG

KOG

• 5,836 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Too early to tell. When there are some 10 year old, 300K ones out there we'll know.

#9 ChrisJC

ChrisJC
  • 275 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Too early to tell. When there are some 10 year old, 300K ones out there we'll know.

+1 :thumbsup:

#10 B10alia

B10alia
  • 1,680 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 at 12:39 pm

I wouldn't say the 3.0 or the 2.7 were "terrible". The 3.0 was good enough, it had problems but they could last for a while. The 2.7 had those sludge issues, but that doesn't make it a "terrible" engine, in fact, IIRC, they had very good power for their displacement, they just had serious sludge problems due to faulty design. Also keep in mind that the sway bar bushing issue was under Daimler...

Edited by B10alia, January 16, 2012 at 12:41 pm.

#11 juma1998

juma1998

Moparaholic

• 2,429 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 at 02:57 pm

Shall we not mention all of the other BONE HEADED things chrysler did...

HeadGaskets: 2.0/2.4 and 2.2/25
Control Arm Bushings - Neon's (HORRIBLE ISSUE)
A604
Generally poor suspension on FWD vehicles... Tire Rod ends that go out if you fart wrong, Steering Racks, Ball Joints (nearly all vehicles)
"" RWD vehciles... LX's all have a HOST of issues
2.7 -- STILL UP FOR debate as to how much maintence has to do with this issue... However, a small group of us Allparian's know some extra stuff about the PCV systems

With all these issues spanning nearly 30 years... Can Chrysler afford to miss again?

#12 Dave

Dave

It's me, Dave

• Supporters
  • 20,635 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 at 03:10 pm

Yeah, you can give me a similar list for Toyota or Honda if you want to. As it happens I've given my Neon a ton of abuse and the tie rods were original when I sold it - as were those of every car I've had since the 1970s. Steering rack, yeah, on our 300M, dealer covered that. Ball joints, not since the last 1970s car I had.

2.7 - they fixed that pretty quickly and yeah, Toyota had the exact same problem, only a lot more widespread.

3.0 - yup, that was a problem, but y'know what? You could fix it pretty cheaply if you knew how.

Find me an automaker who's never had any problems.

Control arm bushings on Neon, you call that a horrible issue ... well, again, our poor abused Neon never saw it. The head gasket, yes -- and they fixed it.

#13 juma1998

juma1998

Moparaholic

• 2,429 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 at 03:26 pm

Yeah, you can give me a similar list for Toyota or Honda if you want to. As it happens I've given my Neon a ton of abuse and the tie rods were original when I sold it - as were those of every car I've had since the 1970s. Steering rack, yeah, on our 300M, dealer covered that. Ball joints, not since the last 1970s car I had.

2.7 - they fixed that pretty quickly and yeah, Toyota had the exact same problem, only a lot more widespread.

3.0 - yup, that was a problem, but y'know what? You could fix it pretty cheaply if you knew how.

Find me an automaker who's never had any problems.

Control arm bushings on Neon, you call that a horrible issue ... well, again, our poor abused Neon never saw it. The head gasket, yes -- and they fixed it.

I by no means am saying these issues are isolated to Chrysler.. Or Chrysler has the worst issues. But let's be frank they have a ton of "known" issues.. And I'd love to be in a room where some of you guys on here who blame all this stuff on owner neglect... Suggest to a caliber owner who had to have most of the front suspension rebuilt... A lot in under 50k miles, to take a look at the Dart.

My comments on control arm bushings don't mean the problem itself was huge rather the scope... My 03 went through two sets in 90k miles, my buddy's 04 went through 4 sets in roughly 70k miles... Is that acceptable??

#14 Dave

Dave

It's me, Dave

• Supporters
  • 20,635 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 at 03:29 pm

No, that is not acceptable. It's also not normal.

#15 juma1998

juma1998

Moparaholic

• 2,429 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 at 03:38 pm

No, that is not acceptable. It's also not normal.

I don't know Dave. I'd like some of the old guys from the neon forums to come forward and speak about it. My buddy has had his done in the dealers and shops. He's simply given up and is letting it go. It's simply not feasible for him to continue to keep popping out a $500 spot every 20k miles. I have quite a few buddies in the auto repair business, a lot of mopar guys who agree with this assessment.

#16 Dave

Dave

It's me, Dave

• Supporters
  • 20,635 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 at 03:45 pm

Well, I'd be happy to take his old Neon. Maybe he should be posting on our Neon forum and seeing if someone can figure out the root cause.

#17 Dave

Dave

It's me, Dave

• Supporters
  • 20,635 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 at 03:54 pm

PS> One interesting way to figger it would be to look through this.

https://www.allpar.c...Neon&type=model

#18 B10alia

B10alia
  • 1,680 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 at 04:57 pm

I've seen what happens to these vehicles when they aren't maintained, and I've seen what happens to mine when I maintain it... either my vehicle is some sort of anomaly that is reliable or there's something wrong with what others are doing. Chrysler makes mistakes, yes. So do all other manufacturers. It's kind of foolish if you ask me to simply point to one bad vehicle and say it represents three entire car lines, or one poorly designed engine and say they're all rubbish. It's sort of like saying you'll never buy a Ford because of the Pinto, or that all Chryslers must be total rust buckets because the Volare and Aspen were. Just because a company or model has one engineering faux pas doesn't mean the company can't change or improve.
There's also nothing to say that the Pentastar will have the same problems as the 3400 (which is what I assume you're talking about). The Pentastar is a very advanced design. Even the 3400 is not an inherently bad engine, just has a bad gasket.

#19 Doug D

Doug D

Virginia Gentleman

• 9,054 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 at 07:16 pm

Shall we not mention all of the other BONE HEADED things chrysler did...

HeadGaskets: 2.0/2.4 and 2.2/25
Control Arm Bushings - Neon's (HORRIBLE ISSUE)
A604
Generally poor suspension on FWD vehicles... Tire Rod ends that go out if you fart wrong, Steering Racks, Ball Joints (nearly all vehicles)
"" RWD vehciles... LX's all have a HOST of issues
2.7 -- STILL UP FOR debate as to how much maintence has to do with this issue... However, a small group of us Allparian's know some extra stuff about the PCV systems

With all these issues spanning nearly 30 years... Can Chrysler afford to miss again?

Yeah, it was a bonehead move regarding the headgaskets on the 2.0/2.2/2.5 engines, but out of the three 2.5's I had only one suffered an outright HG failure (oh and that was at 273,000 miles.......) and the other two engines had 302,000 miles and 240,000 miles when I sold the vehicles. So much for unreliable.......

Yes, the A604 (now the 41TE) was rushed to market too early, dealers not given proper info (using the wrong fluid), "Dexron" on the dipstick, but many of those issues were corrected and I rarely hear of a 2000+ 41TE failing unless it's very high mileage.

None of the FWD Chrysler's I've had suffered tie rod issues, or ball joint issues or steering rack issues. NONE. Not one.

Chrysler's not been perfect, but neither has Ford (many electrical issues that cause fires, transmissions that slipped out of park, spark plugs that blow out after 40K miles) or has GM or Toyota (I seem to recall brake and acceleration issues) or Honda.

Like Dave posted, before you string Chrysler up, name one manufacturer that hasn't had problems........whether they be recalls or not.

FWIW - except for one isolated batch of Pentastars, I haven't heard of any other issues.

Edited by Doug D, January 16, 2012 at 07:18 pm.

#20 Russ90Daytona

Russ90Daytona
  • 2,808 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 at 08:09 pm

One thing about it, the more people bash and hate on Mopars, the lower their values go, and the cheaper I can buy them, horde them and have wonderfully sweet, affordable transporation.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.