Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

3.6 pentastar engine noise- cold start

44 replies to this topic

#1 b1pig

b1pig
  • 14 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 at 11:52 am

I'm curious if anyone else out there with a pentastar equipped vehicle is getting the same thing.

First of all, this is completely intermittent.
At random times, when the car has been sitting, usually overnight or for a few days... At startup, there is significant clatter. Sounds like its coming from up top. (valve clatter) I asked a friend of mine, who is a dealer tech and he mentioned that there is some info out there where a CEL illuminates with a code for a valve or solenoid for the VVT system. the wording he used escapes me... but, I'm still curious if there are any other 3.6 owners who have experienced this.

the clatter lasts up to one second. no longer than that.

2011 Journey Mainstreet :)

btw... let me add that i'm a LOOOONG time Mopar owner/fan and i aint in here being a crybaby, either.

Edited by b1pig, January 26, 2012 at 11:52 am.

#2 Doug D

Doug D

Virginia Gentleman

• 9,211 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 at 11:55 am

Assuming you're under warranty, I think a trip to the dealer is in order. At least I would. There may be some flash updates or TSB's regarding this.

#3 b1pig

b1pig
  • 14 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 at 12:01 pm

well, you know the old story... its hard to troubleshoot if it isn't actually doing it when they hear it... and that means leaving it with them overnight and "wondering" if it will do it when they start it. haha

oh. and i forgot to mention, my CEL is not coming on. no codes.

Edited by b1pig, January 26, 2012 at 12:01 pm.

#4 B10alia

B10alia
  • 1,696 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 26, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Sometimes codes will set without the CEL. I'd take it to the dealer.

#5 Dave

Dave

It's me, Dave

• Supporters (L2)
  • Others:Superfriend
  • 21,275 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Agreed on the dealer.

Also, did you change the oil before this? Did you use synthetic and/or ... whatever's in the owner's manual for the current temperature range? A lot of dealers, when they change the oil, put in 10W30... period. Unless (ha ha) it's a Hemi and they care about the customer.

I found a lot of startup rattling goes away with 5W30... the rest with synthetic (either 10W30 or 5W30). I don't have a Pentastar but this is my experience with the ancient 2.5 Mopar four, the 2.2 turbo, the 3.8 V6, the 3.5 V6, and the Neon 2.0.

#6 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 12,242 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 26, 2012 at 05:31 pm

5W-30 meeting MS-6395 spec is recommended.
There area couple of TSB's regarding PCM software updates and there have been some camshaft phaser failures.

#7 Dave

Dave

It's me, Dave

• Supporters (L2)
  • Others:Superfriend
  • 21,275 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 at 05:45 pm

I would assume they have people watching each and every failure and working on root causes, based on what I've seen/heard.

Thanks for the correct spec. Might be worth changing the oil.

MS-6395 spec?

#8 b1pig

b1pig
  • 14 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 at 08:41 pm

we've got 5,000 miles on it now, so no, the oil hasn't been changed. the oil monitor has not tripped, and the standard service is 8,000 miles.

#9 bguy

bguy
  • 1,320 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 26, 2012 at 08:59 pm

To me it's either a trip to the dealer or change the oil,whichever is cheapest (and filter). Keep in mind the the oil change could still lead to a trip to the dealer. You'll be able to show them the container.

#10 b1pig

b1pig
  • 14 posts

Posted February 23, 2012 at 11:36 pm

someone just reminded me of this post. :)

i thought i had made an update, but i think it was in another forum. since posting this topic, i tried several mornings to get the event on camera.... but the noise has not been heard since. no rattle. no CEL. no codes. All is well.

#11 B10alia

B10alia
  • 1,696 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted February 24, 2012 at 08:53 am

Did you do anything to it or did it just stop?

#12 Sylvain Baron

Sylvain Baron
  • Inactive
  • 1 posts

Posted February 24, 2012 at 11:27 pm

On some engine the crank damper can be defect and can crate a valvetrain noise.The damper touch the front cover.

#13 john h

john h
  • 3 posts

Posted March 15, 2012 at 01:58 pm

I'm curious if anyone else out there with a pentastar equipped vehicle is getting the same thing.

First of all, this is completely intermittent.
At random times, when the car has been sitting, usually overnight or for a few days... At startup, there is significant clatter. Sounds like its coming from up top. (valve clatter) I asked a friend of mine, who is a dealer tech and he mentioned that there is some info out there where a CEL illuminates with a code for a valve or solenoid for the VVT system. the wording he used escapes me... but, I'm still curious if there are any other 3.6 owners who have experienced this.

the clatter lasts up to one second. no longer than that.

2011 Journey Mainstreet :)

btw... let me add that i'm a LOOOONG time Mopar owner/fan and i aint in here being a crybaby, either.

NOt sure if you are still looking at posts, but I ran across this because I was noticing the same thing with mine. I have a 2011 Avenger with the Pentastar. it has about 19,000 miles on it. It would make this noise in the morning for a cold start at first, but now it makes it about 2/3 of time as long as it has sat for at leas 1 hour. I had the exact problem with a Mazda. it turned out to be a VVT issue. it will eventually start blowing an engine code. I took it to the dealer and they of course could not duplicate the issue. Thankfully, it has a long enough warranty to cover it when it happens on every start. It will get to that point. My Mazda sure did.

John

#14 rrg183

rrg183
  • 11 posts

Posted March 15, 2012 at 09:41 pm

I've been a Chrysler tech for over 20 years.They are having TONS of vvt cam phaser problems causing your noise.Also the valve seats on the left head are failing faster than they make new ones.We have 12 cars down waiting on heads and all the new pieces to fix them.

#15 john h

john h
  • 3 posts

Posted March 16, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Is this issue specific o the new 3.6L Pentastar engine?

#16 dakotaquadsport

dakotaquadsport
  • 1,042 posts

Posted March 16, 2012 at 01:57 pm

Is this issue specific o the new 3.6L Pentastar engine?

I'd say so. I've been following the Wrangler forums for issues with the motor, and there have been a fair amount of complains about ticking coming from the LH side head. VVT cam phaser issue is a new one for me.

I've put back my purchase until there's some solid information regarding root cause and permanent corrective actions.

#17 demarpaint

demarpaint
  • Inactive
  • 1 posts

Posted April 1, 2012 at 08:07 pm

I'd say so. I've been following the Wrangler forums for issues with the motor, and there have been a fair amount of complains about ticking coming from the LH side head. VVT cam phaser issue is a new one for me.

I've put back my purchase until there's some solid information regarding root cause and permanent corrective actions.

I'm with you, I'll be following this board closely to see what exactly Chrysler plans to do going forward. The Pentastar engine was supposed to be one of the best designed engines from what I've read. I'm hoping this issue is a hiccup and not a major problem. I want a 2013 Rubicon, but I want to be certain these engine issues are resolved before the 2013's roll out, and before I buy.

Mods: Thanks for allowing me membership!

#18 juma1998

juma1998

Moparaholic

• 2,429 posts

Posted April 2, 2012 at 02:08 pm

Are any of these issues in the World Engine. My 2.4L Journey is loud in the morning for a the first few minutes of operation.

#19 Lioninstreet

Lioninstreet
  • 5 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 at 09:31 am

To revive this thread I also have the cold start valve clatter, but on a Sebring Convertable S.

When I was on the lot at the end of December, the dealer gave me keys to two of them. When I started one it made the clatter. I wrote it off to the car sitting on the lot for so long (a 2012), but purchased a different car.

Mine started doing the same the day after I got it home. The lifter (or top end clatter) seems to be a pronounced issue if the car sits for a few days.

Now at less than 500 miles, it's at the dealer and they are telling me the standard "we cant duplicate."  

Anyone have similar experiences?

#20 Jaime

Jaime
  • 1,437 posts

Posted January 17, 2013 at 11:31 pm

My Pentastar is very loud in the mornings, but not taping or clicking, just a loud droning sound. I think it's normal as all the pentastar's I have heard, new on the lot sound this way. Kinda odd but it takes bout 2 minutes and then it quite.

Funny, my 2.7 which it had to be one of the biggest mistakes and yet it's one of the quietest motors I have had.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated car-related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2014 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.