cars

allpar, the Chrysler - Dodge - Jeep car and truck site

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

Challenger to be replaced by the Cuda'?

plymouth dodge challenger barracuda

1018 replies to this topic

#701 Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster

Vaguely badass...

• Supermen
  • Others:Supporters
  • 19,674 posts

Posted April 13, 2012 at 10:06 am

IMHO, if the Challenger dies, it dies. There's no harm in going out on top, as it were (not in sales in this case, but in the fact that, overall, it seems to be well liked, well reviewed, and well accepted.) And there's nothing that says it couldn't come back either.

#702 MoparNorm

MoparNorm

Active Jeeper

• Supporters III
  • 24,394 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted April 13, 2012 at 10:42 am

Re Impala, ha ha. Well, your taste might not be the same as the general public, I assume you dislike Camry and Nissan Juke.

Indifferent to them, they are too insignificant to dislike.
As for the Impala, the Challenger has more backseat room...and the hard plastic to be found in that car causes one to ponder the bias of any reviewer who once panned Chrysler for plastic, yet omitted mention of same in GM products.
Fisher-Price could have done better.

#703 LXbuilder

LXbuilder
  • Supporters (L2)
  • 956 posts

Posted April 13, 2012 at 11:27 am

IMHO, if the Challenger dies, it dies. There's no harm in going out on top, as it were (not in sales in this case, but in the fact that, overall, it seems to be well liked, well reviewed, and well accepted.) And there's nothing that says it couldn't come back either.

Is it really dead if it gets upgraded and possibly a new name? Barracuda will be that car, and I'm still not betting on that name as I don't believe that the powers that be would call it Chrysler/Dodge and it can't be an SRT. (can't put the SRT label on a 3.6 8spd)
Maybe that car will be called Challenger? :whistle:

Edited by LXbuilder, April 13, 2012 at 11:29 am.

#704 Charger Red

Charger Red
  • 880 posts

Posted April 13, 2012 at 11:39 am

What you see in the present Challenger, is as close as they could likely get, because of government standards we are never again going to see cars that look like 1967.
Just cars that look similar.

Gotta fit all those airbags somewhere.. dang those regulations!

I really wish we had some sort of "fastback styling" though many people associate this with hatchbacks which does detriment to the image. It never ceases to amaze me how the Mustang maintains that Midas touch..

#705 Detonator Yellow

Detonator Yellow
  • 194 posts

Posted April 13, 2012 at 04:55 pm

Before the dodge Challenger goes (if it ever goes), Dodge should release a limited run of convertibles. (Even if it means 2 per dealer for each state)

#706 MoparNorm

MoparNorm

Active Jeeper

• Supporters III
  • 24,394 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted April 13, 2012 at 05:48 pm

Ha!
While it's funny, It's disingenuous to attribute a political point of view to another poster, especially when you misrepresent what I said.
I made no mention of whether the regulations were good or bad, only that they existed.
Air bags have only a small part to play with vehicle looks, it's more about side impact, crush zones and other standards, that determine what a vehicle looks like.

Edited by MoparNorm, April 13, 2012 at 05:48 pm.

#707 Charger Red

Charger Red
  • 880 posts

Posted April 13, 2012 at 07:11 pm

Ha!
While it's funny, It's disingenuous to attribute a political point of view to another poster, especially when you misrepresent what I said.
I made no mention of whether the regulations were good or bad, only that they existed.
Air bags have only a small part to play with vehicle looks, it's more about side impact, crush zones and other standards, that determine what a vehicle looks like.

Wishing to not futher escalate something that should not be any further serious than it already is, it was you among others that made reference to government standards and the relationship to styling. I see now that I might have touched upon something that I did not intend to do so now for the clarification.

It was my (half-serious) comment that the fatness of the current Challenger was partly attributable to airbags, etc. This should not be attributed to you. Since your post was the last in the thread on this aspect I attempted (possibly ineffectively) to add to the collective. I also am very aware that many other aspects like crumple zones and reinforcements participate as the boundaries to a mass produced vehicles styling. To me (non-subject matter expert) I suspect that the size/shape of the greenhouse and "all those bags" might be one of the more significant determinants because of conservation of momentum. I am open to criticism/correction on this point for the sake of dissemination of accurate information.

Let me be the one that says that the regulations are over the top. I deal with them on a daily basis all too well to know this. All one has to do is look around to see the impact while the rest of the world gets a pass - BUT my last post wasn't supposed to be this serious!

Always let me know if you sense I contributed to a foul. I don't believe in the propagation of disingenousness.

Edited by Charger Red, April 13, 2012 at 07:32 pm.

#708 MoparNorm

MoparNorm

Active Jeeper

• Supporters III
  • 24,394 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted April 13, 2012 at 07:45 pm

Wishing to not futher escalate something that should not be any further serious than it already is, it was you among others that made reference to government standards and the relationship to styling. I see now that I might have touched upon something that I did not intend to do so now for the clarification.

It was my (half-serious) comment that the fatness of the current Challenger was partly attributable to airbags, etc. This should not be attributed to you. Since your post was the last in the thread on this aspect I attempted (possibly ineffectively) to add to the collective. I also am very aware that many other aspects like crumple zones and reinforcements participate as the boundaries to a mass produced vehicles styling. To me (non-subject matter expert) I suspect that the size/shape of the greenhouse and "all those bags" might be one of the more significant determinants because of conservation of momentum. I am open to criticism/correction on this point for the sake of dissemination of accurate information.

Let me be the one that says that the regulations are over the top. I deal with them on a daily basis all too well to know this. All one has to do is look around to see the impact while the rest of the world gets a pass - BUT my last post wasn't supposed to be this serious!

Always let me know if you sense I contributed to a foul. I don't believe in the propagation of disingenousness.

It was the quoting of my post, within yours, that led to my questioning of the intent. ;)

#709 Sir Moses Wellington

Sir Moses Wellington
  • 1,561 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted April 13, 2012 at 11:21 pm

I really wish we had some sort of "fastback styling" though many people associate this with hatchbacks which does detriment to the image. It never ceases to amaze me how the Mustang maintains that Midas touch..

I'm not so sure that "Fastback" styling would be a big problem any more. Look at the Audi A7, Benz 550 CLS or Jag XJ. There all fastback sedans, apparently they are all selling well (that is, for vehicles in there price class). But I'm not sure why that is. Maybe its cause its a 4 door that looks more like a coupe, and has some power behind it?

#710 Muther

Muther
  • 1,110 posts

Posted April 13, 2012 at 11:47 pm

Is this all speculation? Is the CHallenger for sure dead? Is the Baracuda a for sure go? Is there going to be a new Challenger? All I have heard from every news outlet, was IF. I certainly hope the Challenger continues. I hope they make it, and I hope it survives looking largely the way it does (except from the rear, it needs flares, and bigger meats or something).

I would rather see them do the Baracuda if it came down to a choice between the two (though as stated, I hope it does not). If it were mine to do, I always thought the first gen' fish were a couple of "brush strokes" away from being one of the most beautiful designs ever to come out of Detroit. I would use the 68 for inspiration, though with more of a 70 style front end, a nice rakish stance, and the widest tires you could realistically get under it. Also, maybe push the wheel wells out a little bit to give it a tad bit more "coke bottle". Rake the windshield, and put in the V6, with some serious boost. I would try to keep the whole car on the smaller side (less than Mustang for sure, closer to 200).

If the CHallenger HAD to go, I would also LOVE to see a modern (SRT???) version of the AMX (the pretty ones from 68 and 69, not the ugly 71 Javelin versions). . C'mon, can the AMX get some love, too?

Edited by Muther, April 14, 2012 at 12:01 am.

#711 Jackratchett

Jackratchett
  • Supporters III
  • Others:Active Member
  • 1,320 posts

Posted April 14, 2012 at 12:04 am

It is all speculation until Chrysler makes it official.

#712 oh2o

oh2o

Hyperactive

• Others:Forum Leader
  • 2,401 posts

Posted April 14, 2012 at 05:55 am

Is this all speculation? Is the Challenger for sure dead? Is the Barracuda a for sure go? Is there going to be a new Challenger?

Ahh, the million dollar questions... the true answers may not be known for awhile, was told by a supplier on Thursday that the LA program for the new "Challenger/Barracuda" is being delayed past the recent summer '13 scheduling. If true, the current LC Challenger may live awhile longer.

#713 Mopar AL

Mopar AL
  • 238 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted April 14, 2012 at 08:32 am

I do not believe tht there will be any convertible models of the Challenger coming until the E-Evo switch. There is just no economics in it. That is not to say that a custom chop shop could not make a convertible for Chrysler, but nothing factory.

The indications are that the SRT Cuda will be a limited model. I take this as a model with the 6.2 Litre or another possible hemi. Putting a 3.6 litre in would defeat the limited edition premise. WHich brings us back to why get rid of your model that can be a large sport coupe with an economical engine.

Edited by Mopar AL, April 14, 2012 at 08:58 am.

#714 LXbuilder

LXbuilder
  • Supporters (L2)
  • 956 posts

Posted April 14, 2012 at 08:52 am

I do not believe thaqt there will be any convertible models of the Challenger coming until the E-Evo switch. There is just no economics in it. That is not to say that a custom chop shop could not make a convertible for Chrysler, but nothing factory.

The indications are that the SRT Cuda will be a limited model. I take this as a model with the 6.2 Litre or another possible hemi. Putting a 3.6 litre in would defeat the limited edition premise. WHich brings us back to why get rid of your model that can be a large sport coupe with an economical engine.

And thats why any talk of a SRT only Barracuda is complete nonsense and just ain't gonna happen, no way, no how. I'll take that bet any day. :thumbsup:

#715 Muther

Muther
  • 1,110 posts

Posted April 14, 2012 at 09:42 am

Correct ,me if I'm wrong, but what is on the table (so to speak) is an E-Evo (full) Challenger in a year or two, and/or a Baracuda in a year two, possibly on a smaller Chassis, possibly on an E-Evo.

If there is a coupe version of the smaller platform made, say an Avenger, then I could see them doing and SRT version, giving it some unique body panels(amongst other parts, obvously) and calling it a 'Cuda. I could see them doing both, but that is unlikely in my opinion. I could also see then sending hte Challenger to the old folks home, and replacing it with a 'Cuda. It would essentially be a Challenger on the E-Evo, with unique panels.

One thing I think is a certainty, is that now that SRT is its own unique company/brand, and it has its own CEO (favored son), that they are sure to get some more moedels, and those models will be futher differentiated from their non-SRT brethren. By that I mean a name change, like Dodge gets the Challenger, and SRT gets the 'Cuda, same platform, but the 'Cuda gets some new metal, etc. Dodge would get the Charger, SRT would get the GTX say, Dodge would get the Avenger, and SRT would get the AMX.

I mean it makes sense to me to spend a little extra to make sure that the premium performance models coming from your "race" division, not only perform better, but have more to set them apart than just paint and badges. It would DE-COUPLE the SRT brand from C-D-J, and tht would be good for SRT, but the non-SRT models wouldn't get as much of the "coat tail" effect from the SRT's. I think that is OK< though, as there are now quite a few very strong, very good models, thatt stand on their own, and don't need as much of that.

#716 dfarc

dfarc
  • 784 posts

Posted April 14, 2012 at 02:49 pm

Ahh, the million dollar questions... the true answers may not be known for awhile, was told by a supplier on Thursday that the LA program for the new "Challenger/Barracuda" is being delayed past the recent summer '13 scheduling. If true, the current LC Challenger may live awhile longer.

I heard last week, in plant, that is was delayed by about 6 months. Also the Dart may be delayed a little bit longer also.

#717 oh2o

oh2o

Hyperactive

• Others:Forum Leader
  • 2,401 posts

Posted April 14, 2012 at 03:18 pm

Also the Dart may be delayed a little bit longer also.

I was recently told that Dart production may not hit full ramp-up until July.

#718 dfarc

dfarc
  • 784 posts

Posted April 14, 2012 at 10:41 pm

I was recently told that Dart production may not hit full ramp-up until July.

pretty much what I heard( 3 months!)

#719 Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster

Vaguely badass...

• Supermen
  • Others:Supporters
  • 19,674 posts

Posted April 15, 2012 at 05:18 pm

Last I read was 8000 Darts in May, followed by 12000 or so in June.

#720 MRGTX

MRGTX
  • 78 posts

Posted April 15, 2012 at 08:38 pm

MRGTX, there was no intent to make you look "stupid", I could have done that far easier and with more bite, had I wanted to. I do not know your background or knowledge level so I asked a serious question to AVOID any such accusations.

Not sure how I missed this post...but just curious if this is how peole roll on Allpar or (personal attack removed-RWS) Not sure what I said to earn that treatment...so thanks for any feedback.

One thing I think is a certainty, is that now that SRT is its own unique company/brand, and it has its own CEO (favored son), that they are sure to get some more moedels, and those models will be futher differentiated from their non-SRT brethren. By that I mean a name change, like Dodge gets the Challenger, and SRT gets the 'Cuda, same platform, but the 'Cuda gets some new metal, etc. Dodge would get the Charger, SRT would get the GTX say, Dodge would get the Avenger, and SRT would get the AMX.

I mean it makes sense to me to spend a little extra to make sure that the premium performance models coming from your "race" division, not only perform better, but have more to set them apart than just paint and badges. It would DE-COUPLE the SRT brand from C-D-J, and tht would be good for SRT, but the non-SRT models wouldn't get as much of the "coat tail" effect from the SRT's. I think that is OK< though, as there are now quite a few very strong, very good models, thatt stand on their own, and don't need as much of that.

Good points all around.
Im having some difficulty seeing Dodge walk entirely away from the "tough"/performance oriented image that they have worked hard on (and earned) over the past few years.

Edited by Bob_Sheaves, April 15, 2012 at 08:50 pm.
removed personal attack

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: plymouth, dodge, challenger, barracuda

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.