Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

Heated seats in a non heated seat car?

13 replies to this topic

#1 justcruzin

justcruzin
  • Inactive
  • 5 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 at 10:19 pm

I have a 2001 PT Limited Edition. This model didn't have heated seats. Today I bought a set of seats that have the heaters. I need to find out if there is something that I may be missing. On the driver side the plugs match up and I have 3 wires coming from the car and 3 wires from the seat. This is the black plug. The yellow plug also matches up. Now the passenger side is definitely missing the heat wiring coming from the car. I will have to find a harness for that one.

The main thing I am trying to find out right now is for the driver side. When I looked at the car I got the seats out of, it had 3 wires coming from the car on the black plug, same as mine has. And like I said above, the plugs from both the seat and the car plug right in. Yet the seat will not turn on when I hit the button on the seat. Is there another element that I might be missing? Maybe under the dash or something? I looked at the fuse panel on the donor car and it had one more fuse then mine and the fuses are in different locations, but the panel itself looks the same. So I put a fuse in the spot mine was missing one and still nothing.

Would love it if someone could shed some light on what I may be missing so I can start looking for it at the scrap yards, or just know what to buy in general!

Thanks for any help.

Kim

#2 dana44

dana44
  • 16,662 posts

Posted March 31, 2012 at 01:53 am

Hi Kim, welcome to the forum. I think you will need to verify things through a wiring diagram. Other than a fuse, I don't know of anything else, but there may be a fuse in the control box under the hood (the black box with all the square fuses and the likes. Hopefully you still have access to the car they cam out of to look at it, but you should be able to find a wiring diagram online for free to reference. Your two plugs indicate there is a raise and lower option, too. There is reference to an underhood relay in below.

I did find this online

Connector 206 is a 2 pin with black for ground and:
Early build = Red w/Light Blue stripe.
Normal build = Red w/Light Green stripe.

This connector is only used for the seat height adjust. The seat airbags and heated seats use different connectors. If the seat does not work, check for the 20amp circuit breaker located in the fuse panel. It's at the top left, number 2. In addition check for fuse number 6 in the underhood fuse/relay panel. Fuse number 4 in both panels is used if the PT was originally set up for heated seats.

If you don't find the connector or wiring under the seat you can power it yourself. Run your own fused wires to the switch. Pins 2 and 5 go to ground. Pins 3 and 4 should already go to the motor. Pin 6 goes to power through a 20amp fuse.

Power Outlet Problem - The power outlet is on the same fuse (#20) and ground (G203) as the cigar lighter. The lighter is switched with the key and the outlet is on all the time. If one works and the other does not, it will need a trip to the dealer for a warranty replacement.

#3 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 12,242 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted March 31, 2012 at 06:22 am

Welcome to Allpar. This won't be an easy 'plug n' play' installation. Even though the Limited Edition was a high feature PT, you probably are missing wiring and components for the heated seat operation. You will need a PT body wiring diagram and a donor PT with the heated seat option to do this.

HEATED SEAT SYSTEM - DESCRIPTION

Individually controlled, electrically heated front seats are available factory-installed optional equipment on this model. Vehicles with this option can be visually identified by the two separate heated seat switches mounted on each of the seat cushion side shields. The heated seat system allows the front seat driver and passenger to select from two different levels of supplemental electrical seat heating, or no seat heating to suit their individual comfort requirements. The heated seat system for this vehicle includes the following major components, which are described in further detail later in this section:
  • Heated Seat Elements - Two heated seat elements are used per vehicle, one for each front seat. The heated seat elements are integral to the front seat and seat back cushions. Refer to the description of the heated seat elements later in this section for additional information.
  • Heated Seat Modules - Two heated seat modules are used per vehicle. One module is mounted to each of the power seat cushion pans, under the forward edge of each front seat. Refer to the description of the heated seat module in the electronic control modules section of the service manual for additional information.
  • Heated Seat Relay - One heated seat relay is used per vehicle. The relay is located in the instrument panel fuse block, on the left lower side of the instrument panel.
  • Heated Seat Sensors - Two heated seat sensors are used per vehicle, one for each front seat. The heated seat sensors are integral to each of the heated seat cushions.
  • Heated Seat Switch - Two heated seat switches are used per vehicle, one for the driver and one for the passenger side front seats. The switches are mounted to each of the front seat cushion side shields. Refer to the description of the heated seat switch later in this section for additional information.
Hard wired circuitry connects the heated seat system components to each other through the electrical system of the vehicle. These hard wired circuits are integral to several wire harnesses, which are routed throughout the vehicle and retained by many different methods. These circuits may be connected to each other, to the vehicle electrical system and to the heated seat system components through the use of a combination of soldered splices, splice block connectors and many different types of wire harness terminal connectors and insulators. Refer to the appropriate wiring information. The wiring information includes wiring diagrams, proper wire and connector repair procedures, further details on wire harness routing and retention, as well as pin-out and location views for the various wire harness connectors, splices and grounds.

HEATED SEAT MODULE - DESCRIPTION

Two heated seat modules are used on each vehicle equipped with the heated seat option. One heated seat module is located on each power seat track, where they are secured with two push-in type plastic fasteners. The modules are contained within a small, rectangular, molded plastic housing with a single connector receptacle that allows them to be connected to all of the required inputs and outputs through the power seat wire harness.
The heated seat modules are electronic microprocessor controlled devices that are designed to monitor the inputs and control the outputs of the heated seat system. The heated seat modules are programmed to provide two levels of heating for each front seat: a Lo temperature set point of about 36° C (97° F), or a Hi temperature set point of about 41° C (105° F) The heated seat modules are also programmed to perform self-diagnosis of certain heated seat system functions. Refer to heated seat module diagnosis and testing for additional information.
The heated seat modules cannot be adjusted or repaired. If a module is damaged or faulty, the entire module must be replaced.

#4 justcruzin

justcruzin
  • Inactive
  • 5 posts

Posted April 2, 2012 at 04:02 pm

Thanks for the welcome and the replies.

Just wanted to share what I have figured out on the car so far.

My wires going to the seat, coming from the car itself, match the wiring on the donor car. I found out I do have a heated seat fuse under the hood and it is in place. According to the donor car under the dash fuse panel, fuse 4 and 17 work the heated seats. My fuse panel shows them as blank, although they will hold a fuse. I tested fuse 4 after I put it in and I have no power to it. In turn, I don't have power to the wire on the seat plug either. Only have power to the up and down feature.

My owners manual has instructions for heated seats, although it say's it is an optional option. I am wondering if there is something in the wiring under the dash, near the fuse panel that just needs to be connected in order for my seats to work. I know in the old days they made cars all the same and just didn't plug in the wiring or you had to buy a harness to connect to the under dash loom for what you wanted to ad later.

I am now off to look for some wiring diagrams. My car is a 2001 and the donor was a 2002. So I wouldn't think they were to far off as far as wiring. But I will search for both.

#5 dana44

dana44
  • 16,662 posts

Posted April 2, 2012 at 04:25 pm

It is very possible there is a connection somewhere that isn't plugged in because the option wasn't with your vehicle. As noted, the wiring diagram is going to be needed and then the wires traced, good thing they are color coded. Look on the wiring diagram for connections in the diagram, might help locate the "problem", but the wiring should be very close for the two years.

#6 justcruzin

justcruzin
  • Inactive
  • 5 posts

Posted April 2, 2012 at 04:37 pm

I just found out that the donor car has a relay in the fuse panel under the dash, that my car does not have, but there is a space for it. Hubby pulled the relay out of the donor and will bring it home tonight. I will install it and see what happens. I will update once I get it. :D

#7 justcruzin

justcruzin
  • Inactive
  • 5 posts

Posted April 2, 2012 at 10:15 pm

I am excited to report that I now have heated "seat"! LOL My driver side heats up. Yayyyyy!!! :D All I need to do now is figure out if there is wiring hiding for the passenger side or if I am going to have to by the wiring for it. That is a minor detail right now. I drive the car for the most part so I'm not to worried about the passenger side as of yet.

All I need to do is put the fuse in the number 4 fuse hole and the relay in the empty relay spot on my car. The relay did the trick.

Thanks for all the help!! :D

#8 dana44

dana44
  • 16,662 posts

Posted April 2, 2012 at 11:45 pm

Glad it works.!!!

#9 justcruzin

justcruzin
  • Inactive
  • 5 posts

Posted April 3, 2012 at 08:03 pm

Last little update. I got bored a few minutes ago so I decided to see if the wiring was under the carpet on the passenger side. Luckily there is an opening from front to back carpet so I just put my hand in there and started feeling around. I found a wire that was in a loop. I was able to pull back the protective covering and saw it was a black and red wires. Same as the seat wiring!! So I continued to pry up the carpet and kind of gently pull on the wiring. I could hear something plastic hitting the metal on the floor once in a while so I kept at it. Finally it came out!! THe other end of the wiring that hooks to the seat. I plugged it in and sure enough, I now have heat on the passenger side!! I really lucked out on this one. It was just a plug and play application for me!! :D I'm actually looking forward to going to work tonight so I can test out the heat!! :D

Thanks for all you guy's help.

#10 dana44

dana44
  • 16,662 posts

Posted April 3, 2012 at 11:25 pm

Isn't it great that it is cheaper to keep connectors in a harness for mass production and just not hook things up to them?
  • Doug in Florida likes this

#11 RichPT

RichPT
  • 3 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 at 03:04 pm

Hi from the UK :)

I've just fitted a set of heated seats to my 2004 Cruiser (UK spec, right hand drive!) and I appear to be having a similar issue. The wiring was all in place, the seats bolted in fine and all the plugs and connectors fitted perfectly, but the heated seats don't work.

So I'm guessing I am also missing a relay...

Would anyone be able to provide me with a photograph of the relay that's required (in situ)?

Thanks in advance :D

#12 RichPT

RichPT
  • 3 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 at 04:26 pm

Just to provide an update on where I'm up to :)

I went to a local breakers yard and pulled a relay from the fusebox under the steering wheel - this was missing in my car.

After plugging the relay in, the green backlight on the heated switches now lights up (they weren't lit before) but the switches still don't function.

Anyone know what else I might be missing here?

#13 RichPT

RichPT
  • 3 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 at 03:39 pm

Well, I did it in the end. Here's a guide for anyone else wishing to put heated leather in a non-heated-leather car http://www.thenorthe...ther-seats.html

:)

#14 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 12,242 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted November 16, 2012 at 07:41 am

RichPT-
Welcome to Allpar. Thank you for the additional information. I didn't want to post until you investigated your situation a little further. I am sure that Domestic and Export PT's have their differences. We didn't have the 2.0L or diesel engine option over here.
Justcruzin's experience was different as their PT already had more heated seat circuit support than I would have expected in a non-equipped car. Sometimes the wiring and support components for optional accessories isn't even there on a base vehicle.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated car-related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2014 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.