cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

Removing the Crankshaft Position Sensor

10 replies to this topic

#1 mike61

mike61
  • Inactive
  • 1 posts

Posted May 21, 2012 at 09:14 am

Trying to removethe crankshaft position sensor on a 2001 pt cruiser. 2.4 liter non-turbo. I can get the bolt out with problem. I can rotate the sensor but can get it to come out . Seeing that room is limited to get to it, I am stuck.

#2 dana44

dana44
  • 16,625 posts

Posted May 21, 2012 at 10:00 am

If I remember correctly there is an O-ring that can be a little sticky, so, if you can twist it, you should be able to reach in there with a standard screwdriver and be able to pry between the sensor and the block, should be able to get a putty knife under it to help a little, keep from chewing up the edge of the sensor. Now, since these sensors tend to be sensitive when it comes to quality, be for darned sure you use a factory replacement sensor, not an aftermarket unit, not eve a NAPA part. There are several of us that have replaced sensors that weren't factory units and had problems and error codes that were erroneous, and the errors tend to go away after switching back to factory sensors. The extra $15 for the factory part, had I known this, would have saved me about a grand in verifying a check engine light was not real.

#3 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 11,755 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted May 21, 2012 at 10:09 am

Is this is the sensor in the engine block near the oil filter? The hole that the sensor goes into may have surface rust, particularly if the metal is dry around it.
The sealing o-ring on the sensor body may be having a hard time getting past the surface rust. Try solvents/penetrants and try rocking/prying the sensor out gently.
If the plastic sensor body breaks off in the block, it isn't the end of the world as you will then have to break the pieces out or try threading a screw into the broken piece and pulling it out.
Avoid damaging the teeth on the crankshaft and if sensor pieces fall into the oil pan, try draining the oil. Adding oil back in through the top will also help wash the broken pieces out.

#4 jim scarlott

jim scarlott
  • 52 posts

Posted September 14, 2012 at 07:56 pm

Help need to replace CKP sensor Looking right above oil filter on 2005 2.4 L none turbo PT but dont even see the wires that run to it, even pulled of the plastic cover (Splash guard ) off to see if I could get a better look. and I don't even see it my book says on back of engine above oil filter But it's not easy to see on mine that's for sure. any Ideas welcomed

#5 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • 11,755 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 14, 2012 at 08:02 pm

Look for a 3-wire connector. It is there on the rear of the block by the oil filter, although it may be awkward to see or get at. It's held in by a single (10 mm?) bolt.
Remove the splash shield and oil filter if you need to.

#6 jim scarlott

jim scarlott
  • 52 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 at 07:25 am

removed splash shield guess I'll have to spin off oil filter I've used mirrors and everything the only wires I see near the oil filter are the ones running across the back of the engine from the Alt. I know where I should be seeing this have put my hand in all the blind spots to try and feel my way around (Do that a lot on repairs on this car) but will try filter removal Thanks for help ImperialCrown. It's good to know I'm on the right track at least.

#7 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • 11,755 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 15, 2012 at 07:53 am

http://www.fixya.com..._2_4_l_chrysler
http://www.justanswe...eter-found.html

Edited by ImperialCrown, September 15, 2012 at 07:55 am.

#8 jim scarlott

jim scarlott
  • 52 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 at 02:30 pm

OK splash shield gone, oil filter gone front wheel gone this thing still does not want to be found. would post pictures but can't figure that out having a Heck of a day. on this model once you go behind the back of Alternator you are under exhaust heat shield

Edited by jim scarlott, September 15, 2012 at 02:37 pm.

#9 jim scarlott

jim scarlott
  • 52 posts

Posted September 22, 2012 at 01:24 pm

If I didn't know better I would swear that the Mechanic has never seen a model quite like mine, I have no Idea after over 35 years of working on cars and trucks I'm having trouble finding this sensor, had out of state visitor for a few days so this hit the back burner. is there any other location on a 2.4 L that might have been on a few models ? I understand it must be close to crankshaft but I don't even see wires in this area at all could it be hidden by Alternator ?

#10 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • 11,755 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 22, 2012 at 04:30 pm

I don't think that it is mounted as high up as the alternator. Other vehicles have CKP sensors mounted in the bellhousing, about underneath the EGR valve.

#11 jim scarlott

jim scarlott
  • 52 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 at 08:35 pm

OK broke down and took this 2005 2.4 DOHC non turbo PT into shop yesterday to replace CPK and at least I was not losing my Mind (not on this anyway) turns out mine was on front of the block buried behind the starter.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.