cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo

1989 Shelby Dakota

14 replies to this topic

#1 Bobs88ShelbyZ

Bobs88ShelbyZ
  • 974 posts

Posted June 3, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Are these trucks worth anything? I have one I bought 4 years ago and it has been sitting ever since. Are they worth restoring?

#2 dana44

dana44
  • 16,625 posts

Posted June 4, 2012 at 01:04 am

Ummm, yeah, I think they are, there were very few made, and you can go online and find the Shelby Dakota registry, all the trucks were numbered and probably even more collectible since Caroll recently passed away. And besides, it was the fastest production vehicle for 1989, faster than a Camaro, Mustang, but probably not the Corvette, so yeah, probably worth keeping.

#3 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 11,755 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 4, 2012 at 03:12 am

I think that with Carroll's recent passing that anything Shelby can only appreciate in value. Shelby Dakotas and Shelby Omni/Chargers are rare and special. The Dakota convertibles are also rare.

#4 valiant67

valiant67

Rich, Corinthian Leather

• Supporters III
  • 22,447 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 4, 2012 at 04:18 am

Part of the value of the Shelby depends on how much of the special equipment (like the wheels) are still present. In 1989, the Shelby Dakota was awesome. By 1991 Dodge offered the same engine in a regular Dakota and by 1992 had a Dakota that would outperform the 89 Shelby and 91 V8 trucks by a big margin.

Seems to me when I was searching for my convertible Dakota, the Shelby Dakota could be had for a little less money than a convertible when in comparable condition. But the question of if it's worth it to restore really depends on what you are starting with and how complete it is.

#5 dana44

dana44
  • 16,625 posts

Posted June 4, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Do yourself a favor and read up on the Shelby Dakota, pretty good write-up right here, let you know what it took to do it, and what is actually special, which isn't all that much as far as being able to find parts. The engine is a stock 5.2, first year for a transmission (whichever one it is), limited slip rear and gears, and the electric fan/no water pump fan, and only two colors, so other than the body cladding and interior, it shouldn't be difficult to restore under any situation.

#6 sccaSRT

sccaSRT
  • Invalid E-mail - contact admin
  • 2 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 at 09:00 pm

The wheels & the fiberglass sail panel behind the cab are the 2 most difficult things to keep. Most of the used one I've seen are usually missing the sail panel. Somehow, most people keep the wheels (some losing the Shelby logo center caps) or save them when swapping for other wheels. When I bought one, it had only 2 of the wheel center caps. Otherwise, all of the mechanical & cosmetic stuff can be found either online, salvage yard or at a parts store. The 318 is the same as the Ram truck, the auto was the first year for an overdrive transmission (42RH?), & 3.90 gears.

#7 Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy
  • 137 posts

Posted October 26, 2012 at 09:26 am

Dana44 come on man.... either an '89 IROC Z or a '89 mustang 5.0 would mop the floor with an '89 Shelby Dakota, not even close.

#8 dana44

dana44
  • 16,625 posts

Posted October 26, 2012 at 10:58 am

According to the records, the Shelby Dodge WAS faster from the factory, read the history.

#9 Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy
  • 137 posts

Posted October 26, 2012 at 11:05 am

According to the records, the Shelby Dodge WAS faster from the factory, read the history.

There are no records or history anywhere that would reveal that. Stock for stock the Shelby has zero chance against against those two cars, it's not even close. You might be confusing the Shelby with the '78 Little Red Express.

#10 awyseguy

awyseguy
  • 440 posts

Posted October 26, 2012 at 02:05 pm

Odd.. back in the day.. The IROC-Z was pretty much a slouch.. My /6 Valiant would eat them alive.. at least on 0-60 runs.. After that the Super 6 needed to use 2nd gear.. Mustangs would run.. But I was never intimidated to pull up next to a Camaro at a light.

#11 Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy
  • 137 posts

Posted October 26, 2012 at 02:45 pm

I have a hard time believing that. IROC's had the same motor as the vette, detuned ever so slightly, and weighed about the same. Against a slant-6 powered anything? C'mon now.
Anyway I used to be really into whole the shelby scene and back then even their owners didn't call the Shelby truck fast. They just weren't.

#12 dana44

dana44
  • 16,625 posts

Posted October 26, 2012 at 08:50 pm

OK, I concede, given I will admit a mistake. The Shelby Dakota was a 0-60 in 8.7 seconds. The V6 Camaro was 8.9, but the IROC was 7.8 seconds, I guess when I read the Shelby was the fastest car it was comparing it to anything but the top of the line hotrods of the time, so I will concede there were faster cars for the year, so maybe it was for the price or something like that, it was something I saw a couple years ago and thought it was actually in the Dakota section I read it here, not some off the wall post somewhere making a comment.

#13 valiant67

valiant67

Rich, Corinthian Leather

• Supporters III
  • 22,447 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 27, 2012 at 07:19 am

The Selby Dak was likely the fastest truck of the time. It ashamed the SS454 that came out a year later until Chevy upgraded the 454 around 1992. Of course by then the Magnum 318 was available in most any Dakota.
1978 was the year Dodge embarrassed everybody. The 1978 Lil Red was the quickest American production vehicle and the 1978 Monaco/Fury 440 cop cars were the fastest.

#14 chuzz

chuzz
  • 5,049 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 at 12:11 pm

I saw one on Fast and Loud a couple of weeks ago. Someone had given it to Gas Monkey Garage. They really didn't want it and decided to auction it off for a local charity. The guy that owns Gas Monkey didn't think it would bring more than 3 or 400 bucks. It sold for $2,500. I think someone got a great deal.

#15 TWX

TWX

DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!

• Supporters
  • 8,871 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 27, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Yeah, it was the Lil Red Express in '78 that was quicker than the Corvette.

My brother had a '77 'vette and if the '78 was anything like it then I can see it. I think that the E58 package '78 Magnum that I had for awhile was probably quicker than that corvette.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.