cars

allpar, the Chrysler - Dodge - Jeep car and truck site

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

1984 dodge rampage 2.2l. where can i find a turbo? chrysler motor?

3 replies to this topic

#1 RobinHoodRampage

RobinHoodRampage
  • Inactive
  • 1 posts

Posted June 4, 2012 at 09:49 pm

i just bought a 2.2l dodge rampage. same motor as omni and such and key yorker. where can i find a turbo kit for it????

#2 valiant67

valiant67

Rich, Corinthian Leather

• Supporters III
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 22,448 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 5, 2012 at 04:27 am

You really can't find a kit as it's more complicated than adding just a turbo. You need to find a turbo car and swap all the different parts to the Rampage. This would include fuel system, exhaust and cooling upgrades, transplanting the motor and transmission from the turbo car and then rewiring it all.

Here's a good overview:
http://www.thedodgeg...om/ddg_faq.html
There's a lot of differences between the carbed 2.2 in the Rampage and the fuel injected turbo 2.2. It can be a fun project, it just isn't easy.

#3 1991spirites

1991spirites
  • 262 posts

Posted June 5, 2012 at 02:22 pm

The best for you is to find a Shelby Charger, or Omni GLH Turbo parts car. Almost everything should swap over since they are all L-body based.

#4 grungerockjeeper

grungerockjeeper
  • 27 posts

Posted July 30, 2012 at 12:42 am

Theoretically, the 2.4 turbo from a PT Cruiser or an SRT-4 might work too. Its the electronic giblets that would be the tough part. I hear tell if you start with a 2.2/2.5 block, that the heads from the 2.4 are a relatively straight forward swap. That gets you a 16 V, crossflow, DOHC head that should be pretty comparable to the Lotus-designed head from the Turbo III. Even better is if you get the turbo 2.4 head since its supposedly a little beefier, and it has those added oil-squirters that keep everything lubed up good.

Either way, hats off to you if you pull this off! The Rampage is a VERY cool little rig and it seems a natural candidate for a worked up turbo plant!

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.