cars

allpar, the Chrysler - Dodge - Jeep car and truck site

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo

Does the 1.4 Require Premium?

10 replies to this topic

#1 roadrnnr

roadrnnr
  • 35 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 at 06:46 am

Anybody know? I was surprised when I looked at the Fiat 500's that those little things had premium gas as recomended and in the Motorweek Road Test they mentioned they used premium in the 1.4 Dart.

That might start me thinking of the 2.0 again.

#2 Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster

Vaguely badass...

• Supermen
  • Others:Supporters
  • 19,674 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 at 07:48 am

Recommended, but not required - with the obligatory small reduction in performance.

#3 Dave

Dave

It's me, Dave

• Supporters
  • Others:Superfriend
  • 20,646 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 at 07:54 am

Not a bad idea though ;) in the past, and probably still, if you put in lower octane gas, it activates the knock sensor and the timing gets dragged back. Whether you notice it or not is another question. I sometimes used regular gas in my Spirit R/T and while I'm sure I lost acceleration, it wasn't really that noticeable. That car had more power than it could handle anyway.

#4 Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln

"CHECK FAULT CODES"

• Supporters (L2)
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 25,346 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 at 08:12 am

My 84 Daytona Turbo Z says 87 required, 91 recommended. I've found that while there is usually no pinging on 87, I get about 2 mpg more with 91 octane, which does make it worth buying.

#5 Moparian

Moparian
  • 1,719 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 at 11:49 am

I would run 89 in my SRT-4 on occasion with no ill effect, of course I really didnt boost it either when i did. I need to try a tank of 89 in my 200 since it says ill get more performance out of it.....just hard to justify when 89 is 14-15 cents more than 87.

#6 JRS200x

JRS200x

CJDR + FIAT SALES PERSON

• 3,056 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 at 01:11 pm

The Owners Manual for the Dart states that 87 is the minimum required and 91 is the recommended.

#7 roadrnnr

roadrnnr
  • 35 posts

Posted June 23, 2012 at 07:47 am

The Owners Manual for the Dart states that 87 is the minimum required and 91 is the recommended.

We have 89 around here but the 91 is about 15 cents above that.

#8 trumpet12345

trumpet12345
  • 438 posts

Posted June 24, 2012 at 12:33 pm

I would run 89 in my SRT-4 on occasion with no ill effect, of course I really didnt boost it either when i did. I need to try a tank of 89 in my 200 since it says ill get more performance out of it.....just hard to justify when 89 is 14-15 cents more than 87.

You sure? I never saw anything for the 3.6 in the 200 and town and country that said use anything beyond 87 for the normal cars. A few reviews for whatever mentioned it, but the solid info always said 87.

#9 Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster

Vaguely badass...

• Supermen
  • Others:Supporters
  • 19,674 posts

Posted June 24, 2012 at 02:35 pm

From the Chrysler 200 Owners' Manual:

This engine is designed to meet all emissions regulations and provide excellent fuel economy and performance when using high-quality unleaded “regular” gasoline having an octane rating of 87. The use of premium gasoline is not recommended, as it will not provide any benefit over regular gasoline in these engines.

#10 Dave

Dave

It's me, Dave

• Supporters
  • Others:Superfriend
  • 20,646 posts

Posted June 24, 2012 at 02:41 pm

Maybe he meant to write "2004"?

#11 Doug D

Doug D

Virginia Gentleman

• 9,056 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 at 10:57 pm

Here's my thought's. Use the recommended fuel.

I have a 2006 Hemi-Powered Ram. Recommended fuel is 89 octane. It can run on 87. 89 octane is only 10 cts more per gallon so a difference of $2 oin a 20 gallon fillup vs using 87 octane. So for $2 more I get the rated hp/torque.

Even if the recommended fuel is 30 cts more per gallon it's only a few more dollars per tank.

FWIIW - I have run 87 octane in my Hemi and my-seat-of-the-pants sensor could feel no power reduction. Like I said, it's only $2 more on average for 89 octane so why not........ And I seem to get slightly better fuel mileage.

If ya can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch......

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.