cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

Engine "Cricket sound"

5 replies to this topic

#1 TCMEX

TCMEX
  • Inactive
  • 18 posts

Posted July 8, 2012 at 11:54 pm

I have a town and country van, 2001, 3.8L, and a few days ago, there was like a "cricket sound" coming from the engine when I started it and all the time during operation, so I suppoused there was something wrong with the pulleys, so I lifted the van and changed the tensioner pulley and the idle pulley. Things got better since the "cricket sound" reduced but it didn't dissapear. Now, the "cricket sound" begins when the rpm go more than 1000, if the rpm are below 1000, there's almost no sound. I'm worried, because that means that there's something wrong with the rest of the elements (alternator,water pump, steering pump, air conditioning compressor or cranck pulley).
How can I know where the problem is?
Now, let's suppouse there's something wrong with one of the elements, specially concerning the steering pump, the water pump or the cranck pulley, does the engine have to be removed from the van to service any of the above mentioned?because there's almost no space to work to remove or to service the power sterring pump nor the water pump.
Please help me.

#2 TWX

TWX

DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!

• Supporters
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 8,871 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted July 9, 2012 at 12:20 am

Use a stethoscope or else a short length of hose in the same manner. Direct this around the various parts of the engine bay until you find the sound. BE CAREFUL to not mess up your hearing in the process, and be careful to not catch your body or the tool in the belts or fans or the like.

#3 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 11,780 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted July 9, 2012 at 03:09 am

Cricketing may be from the serpentine belt. A small spritz of water on the belt should change or remove the noise temporarily, but this test will confirm that it is or isn't belt-related.
The belt path must be true and the belt must be free from any oil or coolant leaks. Belt dressings are to be avoided.
I have also heard water pump seal squeak. A shot of lube in the weep hole will usually stop this.

#4 B10alia

B10alia
  • 1,683 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted July 9, 2012 at 08:02 pm

If the sound has a fair length pause between chirps, it's probably the belt.

#5 A.j. Schreiber

A.j. Schreiber
  • 292 posts

Posted July 9, 2012 at 08:18 pm

I had this exact same sound in my 3.3 van a while ago, it was a failing water pump :)

#6 ktvaughan

ktvaughan
  • 11 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 at 01:08 pm

check the clutch on the alternator pulley.
it sounds like a chirp when it's going bad.
you can change the clutch alone, or buy a rebuilt with a new clutch.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.