cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

Pacifica front subframe

18 replies to this topic

#1 NYBo

NYBo

Semper Paratus

• Supporters III
  • 3,859 posts

Posted August 25, 2012 at 06:32 pm

My Pacifica is going into the shop next week for replacement of the front subframe. It is rusted completely through in one spot and nearly so at the corresponding spot on the other side. A big, expensive job. It appears that this problem isn't all that uncommon, so my fellow Pacifica owners may want to get theirs checked out.

#2 LonVince

LonVince
  • Members - Under 2 Posts
  • 1 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 at 12:22 pm

I also have an '05 Pacifica and the sub frame is beginning to rust. This problem was brought to my attention by a friend who also has a Pacifica. I checked with Chrysler and there is a service bulletin on this for '04 and '05s. If you haven't already, check with your local dealer and see if your VIN is on the list. I was told mine is not, but I am not giving up yet on getting some assistance from Chrysler. I was also told by an independent mechanic that there may be a class action suit announced by the spring. Hope this gets you some help on your repair.

#3 stevenspeaking

stevenspeaking
  • 208 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 at 01:54 pm

Feel free to send me your VIN. I will check to see if it has the extended warranty for the subframe. steve.brittain[at]actonchrysler.com

Steven
  • dfarc likes this

#4 alvin

alvin
  • 976 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 at 10:41 am

What, it's not aluminum like on minivans? Thank you, DimerBends!

Edited by alvin, October 12, 2012 at 10:46 am.

#5 stevenspeaking

stevenspeaking
  • 208 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 at 11:49 am

No aluminum. This part is on the Pacifica only.
Steven

#6 66drptp

66drptp
  • 92 posts

Posted October 16, 2012 at 08:31 pm

Is 06 included.I might just send you my vin..Thanx.

#7 stevenspeaking

stevenspeaking
  • 208 posts

Posted October 17, 2012 at 07:02 am

Sorry 2006 is not included.

MODELS:

2004 - 2005 (CS) Pacifica

NOTE: **This applies to vehicles built from February 23, 2004 (MDH0223XX) through

March 31, 2004 (MDH 0331XX).**

NOTE: This only applies to vehicles in the Canadian Market and in salt belt states

which include Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland,

Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey,

New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington, D.C.,

West Virginia and Wisconsin.

#8 NYBo

NYBo

Semper Paratus

• Supporters III
  • 3,859 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 at 11:22 am

If my vehicle is covered, do you think Chrysler would refund at least part of the repair costs?

#9 Doug D

Doug D

Virginia Gentleman

• 9,055 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 at 11:45 am

I also have an '05 Pacifica and the sub frame is beginning to rust. This problem was brought to my attention by a friend who also has a Pacifica. I checked with Chrysler and there is a service bulletin on this for '04 and '05s. If you haven't already, check with your local dealer and see if your VIN is on the list. I was told mine is not, but I am not giving up yet on getting some assistance from Chrysler. I was also told by an independent mechanic that there may be a class action suit announced by the spring. Hope this gets you some help on your repair.

Service bulletins (TSB's) don't necessarily mean it's a recall covered by the factory. TSB are documents from the manufacturer detailing changes/updates in repairs/maintenance procedures which may or may not be a covered "recall". Class action suits only line the pockets of the lawyers -you'd be lucky to net $10.

Too many consumers equate TSB's with recalls and that is not necessarily the case.

If my vehicle is covered, do you think Chrysler would refund at least part of the repair costs?

At the very least you should contact Chrysler, open a case # and file a goodwill claim. Some time back I filed a goodwill claim concerning premature brake wear on our previous 2009 Journey SXT. The front pads were worn out at only 22K miles. This was before they issued a updated warranty procedure concerning just the front brakes/rotors ($50-$100 deductible). Chrysler reimbursed me in full ($225).

Edited by Doug D, October 20, 2012 at 11:46 am.

#10 stevenspeaking

stevenspeaking
  • 208 posts

Posted November 6, 2012 at 01:00 pm

The latest part numbers (based on a 2005 Pacifica) have been reduced drastically in price from the old pricing $2385.00 - $3635.00.

New numbers and pricing now

SERVICE CRADLE NO LONGER INCLUDES BUSHINGS OR INSERTS. ORDER THE FOLLOWING PARTS: CRADLE P/N 04743689AH, BUSHINGS (4)-04880339AB, AND INSERTS (4) 06503245.

04743689AH list $679.00
04880339AB list $54.45 each
06503245 list $4.75 each
(might need for some applications) 68002938AA bracket list $35.55

The cradle shows to be backordered at this time.

Steven

#11 Bearhawke

Bearhawke

Things happen for a reason

• Others:Forum Leader
  • 12,859 posts

Posted November 7, 2012 at 10:59 am

Sorry 2006 is not included.

MODELS:
2004 - 2005 (CS) Pacifica
NOTE: **This applies to vehicles built from February 23, 2004 (MDH0223XX) through
March 31, 2004 (MDH 0331XX).**

NOTE: This only applies to vehicles in the Canadian Market and in salt belt states
which include Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland,
Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey,
New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington, D.C.,
West Virginia and Wisconsin.

I'm surprised that Virginia isn't included due to vehicles rusting away quickly in places like Arlington which is directly across from DC.

#12 Doug D

Doug D

Virginia Gentleman

• 9,055 posts

Posted November 7, 2012 at 03:02 pm

I'm surprised that Virginia isn't included due to vehicles rusting away quickly in places like Arlington which is directly across from DC.

Not sure about Arlington, but in King George County (60 miles south) where I live, VDOT uses trace amounts of salt in ice/snow conditions. It's probably 80% sand. None of my vehicles have any rust. The only one that did, a 1990 Acclaim, already had rust when I bought it in '03. Scrapped it last year. I would not consider Virginia a salt belt state. Maryland, yes, Virginia, no.

#13 stevenspeaking

stevenspeaking
  • 208 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 at 07:54 am

Updated pricing 9-30-13

04743689AH list $1025.00
04880339AB list $56.25 each
06503245 list $4.95 each
(might need for some applications) 68002938AA left front brake line bracket list $36.75

#14 speedpx

speedpx
  • 1 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 at 06:56 pm

Thanks for the update

#15 jim2014

jim2014
  • 1 posts

Posted March 5, 2014 at 03:51 pm

My mechanic just told me my 2005 Pacifica front frame is completly rotted out.It only has 75,000 miles on it.No warrenty?

#16 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • 11,762 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted March 5, 2014 at 06:49 pm

Welcome to Allpar. Contact your dealer with your VIN and mileage to find out more.

This bulletin is for cars that are now 10 years old (see post #7) and it is not an open-ended coverage.

#17 md80891

md80891
  • 869 posts

Posted March 5, 2014 at 08:44 pm

Surprised Utah is not included. (extensive use of salt due to large supply just west of town)

#18 PaulCary

PaulCary
  • 1 posts

Posted March 29, 2014 at 08:16 pm

I was told today that the subframe on my 2005 Pacifica is completely rusted out and is unsafe to drive.  In looking at this forum as well as many others, it appears to be a common problem.   My car has 130k miles, but has been taken care of.  There is "normal" rust spots elsewere, but nothing like the completely rusted out subframe.  The mechanic was extremely surprised - "never seen this in my 20 years in the business". 

Is there a simple way to check the VIN number for the extended waranty?

Any word on they extended waranty covering more VINs?

Edited by PaulCary, March 29, 2014 at 08:17 pm.

#19 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • 11,762 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted March 30, 2014 at 03:27 pm

Welcome to Allpar. You will have to contact your dealer with VIN and present mileage to see if you are covered.

They can look it up in the Chrysler database and give you an answer.

If you need to, you can escalate up the chain of command to Chrysler customer service for arbitration and possible coverage if the dealer can't help you without prior factory authorization.

The build and area coverage is limited as stated in post #11, but that may have changed and coverage may be decided on a case-by-case basis now.

It may depend if you have owned the car since new or are a regular customer. Pacificas that began life as fleet or rental cars may be excluded.

They may meet you half-way (parts or labor) or whatever may be offered. I just don't know the history or particulars of your individual case.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.