cars

allpar, the Chrysler - Dodge - Jeep car and truck site

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo

2014 Ford - looking good

38 replies to this topic

#1 66coronet

66coronet
  • 1,733 posts

Posted September 6, 2012 at 12:14 pm

2014 Ford Transit offers big utility with EcoBoost and diesel power

Ford Transit 2.2L diesel, that should be a mark setter for mpg in it's class.
Not too bad looking for what it is.

Ford 2014 Transit Connect

Transit Connect is looking better. I wonder how Fiat/Dodge will compete? I still think they should just leave it a Fiat.

Ford Mondo wagon
Looking nice and should be affordable.

#2 66coronet

66coronet
  • 1,733 posts

Posted September 6, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Mustang & Edge going to Europe.

#3 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 11,766 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 7, 2012 at 06:40 am

The new Escape is working out the bugs.
http://www.detroitne...O0102/209060343

Edited by ImperialCrown, September 7, 2012 at 09:31 am.

#4 patfromigh

patfromigh
  • 1,566 posts

Posted September 7, 2012 at 10:12 pm

The Euro look carries well on the larger Transit van, but the Transit Connect restyle is questionable. I'm really curious what the NAFTA powertrain choices will be, since different sources are saying different things. Ford said for sure we're getting the EcoBoost V6 and a diesel. But they haven't said which diesel or if there will be any other gas options.

#5 vwtodd

vwtodd
  • 353 posts

Posted September 8, 2012 at 07:21 am

I was hoping for an all wheel drive or 4 wheel drive option in the full size transit. Guess this is now off the list.

#6 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • 11,766 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 8, 2012 at 08:06 am

The Transit Connect AWD may be done by an upfitter for special applications like our Sprinter was.
http://sprinterstore...printer_4x4.htm
I saw a 4WD Sprinter built as part of a mobile radio communications network hub.
It had a large winch mounted in the front and in the rear. It might have been virtually unstoppable as long as it had fuel (and could always call for help).

#7 66coronet

66coronet
  • 1,733 posts

Posted September 8, 2012 at 12:42 pm

The Euro look carries well on the larger Transit van, but the Transit Connect restyle is questionable. I'm really curious what the NAFTA powertrain choices will be, since different sources are saying different things. Ford said for sure we're getting the EcoBoost V6 and a diesel. But they haven't said which diesel or if there will be any other gas options.

The turbo-diesel engine Ford is talking about is most likely the DuraTorq common-rail direct-injection 3.2-liter inline-five offered in the new global Ford Ranger. 200hp 350lbft
I guess we will see if they bring over one or both diesels. 2.2L or 3.2L.
Hopefully 2.2L for T150 and 3.2L for T250 & T350
Pickup truck news article on the pair.

Edited by 66coronet, September 8, 2012 at 12:50 pm.

#8 MoparNorm

MoparNorm

Active Jeeper

• Supporters III
  • 24,304 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 8, 2012 at 03:06 pm

I was hoping for an all wheel drive or 4 wheel drive option in the full size transit. Guess this is now off the list.

Don't worry, the Daily has 4WD.

Posted Image
  • suzq044 likes this

#9 Bearhawke

Bearhawke

Things happen for a reason

• 12,859 posts

Posted September 8, 2012 at 05:45 pm

That 2014 Connect reminds me of a (slightly) larger KIA Soul.

#10 66coronet

66coronet
  • 1,733 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 at 08:29 pm

Mulally says Ford pondering sub-Fiesta small car for emerging markets

Posted Image

#11 dak4x4

dak4x4
  • 519 posts

Posted October 2, 2012 at 10:18 am

Don't worry, the Daily has 4WD.

Posted Image

The ground clearance on this beast looks to be neglible...

#12 MoparNorm

MoparNorm

Active Jeeper

• Supporters III
  • 24,304 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 3, 2012 at 07:34 am

The ground clearance on this beast looks to be neglible...

It's not built for four-wheeling, it's built for off road mining and construction sites. You are also seeing from an angle, the ground clearance is approx. 9", which normal for even stock Jeeps (the real ones, not the pap we have now) ;)

Posted Image

#13 66coronet

66coronet
  • 1,733 posts

Posted October 7, 2012 at 05:34 am

Ford C-Max Hybrid is Blue Oval's best-selling hybrid in first month of sales [w/video]

Posted Image

#14 Mike V.

Mike V.

• 9,759 posts

Posted October 7, 2012 at 09:44 am

Ford C-Max Hybrid is Blue Oval's best-selling hybrid in first month of sales [w/video]

Posted Image

I am not impressed. Sales under 1000 units isn't exactly setting the world on fire.

Most Americans realize the additional costs associated with hybrid vehicles is typically not paid for in fuels savings over the period of ownership of the vehicle. This is why the overwhelming majority if hybrid buyers don't buy a second hybrid to replace their existing one.

Mike

Edited by Mike V., October 7, 2012 at 09:47 am.

#15 grant

grant
  • 611 posts

Posted October 7, 2012 at 12:08 pm

I am not impressed. Sales under 1000 units isn't exactly setting the world on fire.

Most Americans realize the additional costs associated with hybrid vehicles is typically not paid for in fuels savings over the period of ownership of the vehicle. This is why the overwhelming majority if hybrid buyers don't buy a second hybrid to replace their existing one.

Mike

Give it a little time before you make your final judgment it is just its first month of sales.

#16 Mike V.

Mike V.

• 9,759 posts

Posted October 7, 2012 at 01:59 pm

Give it a little time before you make your final judgment it is just its first month of sales.

Hybrids sold in the U.S. (September 2012): 34,835 out of 1,183,799 in overall sales. That's 2.9% of the overal market. The Cmax makes up 2.7% of the 2.9%.

The sales leader for hybrids is the Prius at 10,806 units (31% of hybrid sales). The Cmax has a looooooong way to go. This exactly why Sergio does not want to dabble in the hybrid market.

So no, 969 car sales does not excite me. Hybrids are a fad... Some people think Hybrids are cool, just like some people think Corvettes are cool.

Mike

Edited by Mike V., October 7, 2012 at 02:12 pm.

• FreeLantz likes this

#17 bumonbox

bumonbox

Say no to kool-aid

• Supporters
  • 3,409 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 8, 2012 at 10:45 am

Hybrids sold in the U.S. (September 2012): 34,835 out of 1,183,799 in overall sales. That's 2.9% of the overal market. The Cmax makes up 2.7% of the 2.9%.

The sales leader for hybrids is the Prius at 10,806 units (31% of hybrid sales). The Cmax has a looooooong way to go. This exactly why Sergio does not want to dabble in the hybrid market.

So no, 969 car sales does not excite me. Hybrids are a fad... Some people think Hybrids are cool, just like some people think Corvettes are cool.

Mike

Hey, Hybrids can also help CAFE, right? As we've always said, they have their place, but it's a pretty small market to tap into. Chrysler has much bigger fish to fry, in markets they have a much better chance at getting into. But, err, this wasn't really about Chrysler.

Hybrids are not a groundbreaking cure for our energy consumption ills. Their impact is tiny. As of now, they have a place, and I wouldn't call them a fad necessarily, so much as there will come a time when a more effective, and cost effective viable alternative starts impact the market. That will very quickly displace them.

#18 Mike V.

Mike V.

• 9,759 posts

Posted October 8, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Hey, Hybrids can also help CAFE, right? As we've always said, they have their place, but it's a pretty small market to tap into. Chrysler has much bigger fish to fry, in markets they have a much better chance at getting into. But, err, this wasn't really about Chrysler.

Hybrids are not a groundbreaking cure for our energy consumption ills. Their impact is tiny. As of now, they have a place, and I wouldn't call them a fad necessarily, so much as there will come a time when a more effective, and cost effective viable alternative starts impact the market. That will very quickly displace them.

Good sum up... And I firmly agree that other technologies will eventually kill the Hybrid as we know it.

At their relatively small volume... How much help do they really give to CAFE?

Mike

Edited by Mike V., October 8, 2012 at 12:08 pm.

#19 MoparNorm

MoparNorm

Active Jeeper

• Supporters III
  • 24,304 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 8, 2012 at 02:11 pm

Good sum up... And I firmly agree that other technologies will eventually kill the Hybrid as we know it.

At their relatively small volume... How much help do they really give to CAFE?

Mike

Hybrids are given an inordinate percentage of CAFE credit, just like E85, so for now, hybrids do give manufacturers some CAFE wiggle room.

#20 Mike V.

Mike V.

• 9,759 posts

Posted October 8, 2012 at 03:12 pm

Hybrids are given an inordinate percentage of CAFE credit, just like E85, so for now, hybrids do give manufacturers some CAFE wiggle room.

Norm, you are absolutley right... Alternative fuel vehicles like E85, hybrid, and plug-in hybrids do get a huge break on CAFE (which is why the 3.6 flex fuel engines across the line is incredibly important) but there is a cap. Only pure electrics are uncapped.

We can get into that math later, first lets explain how CAFE works in general and why volume is important. Note what I said about having flex fuel vehicles across the board. Because there are many many more of those being built than hybrids, they will affect the average substantially, this mill make sense later.

Furthermore, since CAFE is calculated on a harmonic mean, the amount of miles driven is the common factor and 47mpg isn't a huge factor when compared to the 22mpg the trucks get because of volume. So yes volume of vehicle can direct affect the reciprocal based averages and the fact that only 2% of the vehicles produced by Ford make the giant numbers makes the weight less.

The math is interesting and they use an average of the city and highway mileage, not just the biggest number which can really beat up on some vehicles that have big highway claims ;)

Example:
If I have a fleet of 100,000 vehicles and lets say 30% gets 20mpg and 40% gets 30mpg and 25% get 15mpg and 5% gets 47mpg. Then we assume the fleet will travel the same number of miles....

Total miles = 100,000

Total gallons = 30000/20 + 40000/30 + 25000/15 + 5000/47

Average Fuel Economy is equal too

1 / (.3/20 + .4/30 + .25/15 + .05/47) = 1/.04603 = 21.7 CAFE

If you took away the 5% of hybrids at 47 mpg and added them to the 30 mpg car sales the CAFE would increase to 23.99...

However if you took away the 5% from the 30 mpg group and added it to the 47 mpg hybrid cars making them 10% of sales the CAFE would only change to 22.00.

The change is higher if the hybrid sales went away altogether! This is just an example but it proves volume is important and even with the adders given to hybrids they still need volume to have a large effect on CAFE.

So that's the mystery of CAFE if anyone didnt know and why, in my opinion, Ford should be focusing on alternative fuels and diesel like Chrysler and not wasting money in the Hybrid game. So no, I don't believe Ford looks good for 2014 if they are still dabbling in electrics and hybrids.

Mike

Edited by Mike V., October 8, 2012 at 03:44 pm.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.