cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

2005 2.4L DOHC Timing belt relearn?

8 replies to this topic

#1 Kevinb71

Kevinb71
  • 1 posts

Posted October 7, 2012 at 11:35 pm

I replaced the timing belt on my Sebring after it broke on the road. Marks on camgears and crank lined up as per manual. Car runs down the road fine, but jerks and dies at idle, The codes by my scanner are crankshaft camshaft correlation Sensor A Bank 1. Is there a relearn process on these and how do you start the relearn?

#2 dana44

dana44
  • 16,625 posts

Posted October 7, 2012 at 11:58 pm

Shouldn't be a relearn that I am aware of, but you should have had the battery disconnected when you replaced the belt. There is a possibility that the belt tensioner is not working properly, meaning as the engine is increasing in rpm and then decreasing, the pressure of the crank in relation to the belt switches from pull to drag, and if the belt tensioner isn't working properly the slack in the belt could throw the cam and crank sensors out of sequence or phase.

#3 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 11,780 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 8, 2012 at 02:55 am

There may be a cam/crank relearn that you can do with the DRB III (or equivalent) scan tool.
It sounds worse than that though. I would double-check your timing marks as after a couple of engine revolutions with a freshly installed belt, their positions can change. The marks must be dead nuts on. Check with a straight edge and dental mirror across the cam bolt centers at TDC.

Edited by ImperialCrown, October 8, 2012 at 02:56 am.

#4 valiant67

valiant67

Rich, Corinthian Leather

• Supporters III
  • 22,470 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 8, 2012 at 06:25 am

I had an out of sync error with one of the used Neons I bought. The check engine light was on for it so I had to fix it before I could register it. in my case, everything was lined up fine and the car ran perfect so I hooked up the scanner and reset the sync on the sensors.

I think if your car is running poorly there is another issue. There could really be a sync issue or maybe a vacuum leak somewhere among other possibilities.

#5 Perrysburg_Dodgeboy

Perrysburg_Dodgeboy
  • 12 posts

Posted November 28, 2012 at 09:45 am

Well if the "belt broke on the road" then you most likely have a bent valve. I would do a compression test and make sure all the cylinders are within spec. Then go from there.

Edited by Perrysburg_Dodgeboy, November 28, 2012 at 09:45 am.

#6 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • 11,780 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted November 28, 2012 at 06:28 pm

The 2.4L is 'possibly' an interference engine.
The valves won't hit the piston tops, but in very rare cases the intake and exhaust valves may bump into each other.
Both of the cams would have to spin to a stop in exactly the 'wrong' spot in order to have this occur. I have never seen it happen.
  • 97 plymouth neon expresso likes this

#7 dana44

dana44
  • 16,625 posts

Posted November 28, 2012 at 08:48 pm

IC, I agree, it would have to be an aftermarket cam and a very long odd account. When I ported the head on mine, I did everything I could with the head off the engine and rotating the cams and there was absolutely no time I could get the intake and exhaust to touch each other, and at the same time, could not get the valves to touch the piston at TDC. Valve float, which is even difficult to do would be the only way to hang them up and bend one. The 2.0 SOHC is another story, not sure about the DOHC.

#8 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • 11,780 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted November 29, 2012 at 04:32 am

The high engine temperatures from high speed/high load operation could lengthen the valve stems due to heat expansion and cause remotely possible valve-to-valve face edge contact.
This possibility is listed in the Gates Rubber Company's website for timing belts. They will let you know which engines are interference and which are not.

#9 stoph8n24

stoph8n24
  • 2 posts

Posted February 1, 2014 at 06:05 pm

Kevinb71, ever get this fixed? What was the solution? In this predicament now, can anyone help?

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.