cars

allpar, the Chrysler - Dodge - Jeep car and truck site

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo

2013 RAM 1500 RADIO

38 replies to this topic

#21 seminole

seminole
  • 2 posts

Posted January 18, 2013 at 09:41 am

The order code is RH1, and it is available now, although the part is not available for add on yet.

#22 Dave

Dave

It's me, Dave

• Supporters
  • Others:Superfriend
  • 20,636 posts

Posted January 18, 2013 at 09:42 am

Though you can buy a remote CD player, if they have the USB port or SD card, it'll be a rare person who can't transfer their CD music -- all of it -- to an easily used digital card. (The SD cards are up to 32 GB or so for reliable use, but USB cards seem to be able to handle more. Either way, you can always use two SD cards. That's a LOT of music.)

#23 allsplay

allsplay
  • Members - Under 2 Posts
  • 1 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 at 05:20 pm

You have to order cd player seperate from the radio,it is a remote cd player in center console

#24 dak4x4

dak4x4
  • 518 posts

Posted March 5, 2013 at 10:39 am

And then there's all those folks out there driving 14+ year old vehicles without iPod connectivity or AUX jacks that do, in fact, still purchase and listen to audio on CDs.

Just saying. I still use CDs, as well as iPad and my Android phone.

Purchase CD? No.  Anybody with a computer can roll your own.

#25 Dave

Dave

It's me, Dave

• Supporters
  • 20,636 posts

Posted March 5, 2013 at 01:03 pm

dak, did you have a point? People do buy CDs. Yeah, you can make your own, but CDs are still usually the highest sound quality, except for “super formats” (audio DVD, etc) which you probably can't use in the car anyway. 

Your choice, 256 MP3, 256 AAC, 128 MP3, 128 AAC, or full AIFF without any compression at all. Yeah, you can get compression free music from some sources, but ... (side notes: generally, audio tests reveal 128 AAC to be roughly the quality of 256 MP3. iTunes Store started with 128 AAC and later moved to 256 AAC. I've lost track of what others use. The best iTunes will do, other than lossless which most car stereos can't handle, is 392 AAC.) 

PS> I personally do not buy physical CDs any more, but I respect the choices of those who do. I see no reason to mock them. What's more, a lot of people still have hundreds of CDs ... from whatever source.

#26 Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln

"CHECK FAULT CODES"

• Supporters (L2)
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 25,314 posts

Posted March 5, 2013 at 01:12 pm

Purchase CD? No. Anybody with a computer can roll your own.

But you have to have already purchased the music in order to make your own CD.

I still have all my LPs, and a turntable, though I've only used it every few years; and still have all my CDs. A few years ago I ripped all my CDs to my hard drive in 320 kbs mp3 format, and all 160 or so albums all fit onto a 16 GB USB stick.

Edited by Bob Lincoln, March 5, 2013 at 01:14 pm.

#27 dak4x4

dak4x4
  • 518 posts

Posted March 6, 2013 at 11:39 am

DaveAdmin my point is that CDs sales have dropped by more than half since the all time peak in the year 2000. The younger set thinks they are as obsolete as  the records they replaced. Now there are vehicles still on the road with CD players; like mine, so to feed these players many turn to burning CDs on their computers. You can download free software to copy a CD to a blank and play it in the car. Or itunes etc etc..

My owners manual for the 06 Dakota goes into detail on what formats you can play on a CD stuffed into the radio, and it is obvious that they are talking about user burned CDs.

Maybe the burned CDs are slightly lower in quality than store bought CDs. A moot point for those who just want to hear music on the road..,

#28 JA Cumbo

JA Cumbo
  • Supporters
  • 1,778 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted March 6, 2013 at 02:09 pm

Personally, I think A CD sounds better than a overcompressed MP3 file. Yeah, A flash drive is more convenient, but the sound quality just annoys me.

#29 Dave

Dave

It's me, Dave

• Supporters
  • 20,636 posts

Posted March 6, 2013 at 02:49 pm

dak, my point is that you were being dismissive, offensively so, to a fellow Allpar forums member, and for no good reason.

Maybe the burned CDs are slightly lower in quality than store bought CDs. A moot point for those who just want to hear music on the road..,

You're saying sound quality is unimportant if you're on the road? What's the point of all those premium stereos and speakers? Cassette tapes are even more convenient in a lot of ways than CDs. For one thing, it doesn't matter if you scratch them or put a label on them ;)

I don't think anyone here is ignorant of the fact that you can burn CDs on computers, and have been able to for so long that CD burners cost $10 or whatever... 

As a side note, JA Cumbo, try 256 AAC formats. Chrysler stereos read 'em just fine (not sure if that's true for burned to CD copies), and there are rarely easily detectible differences from AIFF. See, here I'm arguing both sides... but I agree that 128 MP3 is pretty bad IMHO. I never liked the pro-MP3 argument that “it’s the standard.” So was WordStar... 

And yes, CD sales are falling, and I admit that I, myself, only rarely buy them. 

#30 FreeLantz

FreeLantz

Tried & True Mopar Fan

• 2,114 posts

Posted March 6, 2013 at 10:20 pm

My '05 Dakota had a six-disc changer that took regular CD's or MP3 discs.  So you could burn six CD's worth of music (around 100 songs per disc would fit IIRC) and then set it to play in "random" mode.  That was the nicest radio I've had in any Mopar vehicle.  My '08 Magnum still had the disc changer, but no longer would play MP3 discs.  The excuse was that now there was an axillary jack for MP3 players.  The rest of the Mopars I've owned since have only played one disc at a time but continued to have the jack.  I've yet to own anything with MyGig but a friend of mine's '09 Challenger has it, and it has randomly dumped it's entire memory more than once with no way to recover. 

Add me to the list of people who are not pleased with the '13 Ram radio.  But perhaps for different reasons than some of you.  It includes the new system (I forget Chrysler's lingo for it) that is equivalent to OnStar.  Therefore, the radio cannot be removed and replaced with an aftermarket one.  Nor does it have the jacks necessary to hook up additional speakers (according to a Chrysler rep who posted on another site).  I think they have alienated a lot of truck buyers with this "feature".  But the rest of the truck is so darn nice, it may not affect sales as much.

#31 dak4x4

dak4x4
  • 518 posts

Posted March 7, 2013 at 08:52 am

dak, my point is that you were being dismissive, offensively so, to a fellow Allpar forums member, and for no good reason.

You're saying sound quality is unimportant if you're on the road? What's the point of all those premium stereos and speakers? Cassette tapes are even more convenient in a lot of ways than CDs. For one thing, it doesn't matter if you scratch them or put a label on them ;)

I don't think anyone here is ignorant of the fact that you can burn CDs on computers, and have been able to for so long that CD burners cost $10 or whatever... 

As a side note, JA Cumbo, try 256 AAC formats. Chrysler stereos read 'em just fine (not sure if that's true for burned to CD copies), and there are rarely easily detectible differences from AIFF. See, here I'm arguing both sides... but I agree that 128 MP3 is pretty bad IMHO. I never liked the pro-MP3 argument that “it’s the standard.” So was WordStar... 

And yes, CD sales are falling, and I admit that I, myself, only rarely buy them. 

Well forgive me, no disrespect intended for CD buyers and I am one too; I also have a pile of store bought CDs. What I omitted saying is the reason I use copied CDs in the truck--- is that. a truck or car is not a good place to keep CDs, all of mine are long "out of print" and cant be replaced. In a vehicle, CDs get broken, scratched, sat on, stepped on, spilled on, warped by heat, blown out the window, or even stolen. So I think its a better idea to keep the originals in the house where they are less likely to get damaged, and use the dupes in the truck...and if a copy gets ruined, your still have the origional media.

Edited by dak4x4, March 7, 2013 at 08:54 am.

#32 UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL
  • 5,136 posts

Posted March 7, 2013 at 09:30 am

My '05 Dakota had a six-disc changer that took regular CD's or MP3 discs.  So you could burn six CD's worth of music (around 100 songs per disc would fit IIRC) and then set it to play in "random" mode.  That was the nicest radio I've had in any Mopar vehicle.  My '08 Magnum still had the disc changer, but no longer would play MP3 discs.  The excuse was that now there was an axillary jack for MP3 players.  The rest of the Mopars I've owned since have only played one disc at a time but continued to have the jack.  I've yet to own anything with MyGig but a friend of mine's '09 Challenger has it, and it has randomly dumped it's entire memory more than once with no way to recover. 

Add me to the list of people who are not pleased with the '13 Ram radio.  But perhaps for different reasons than some of you.  It includes the new system (I forget Chrysler's lingo for it) that is equivalent to OnStar.  Therefore, the radio cannot be removed and replaced with an aftermarket one.  Nor does it have the jacks necessary to hook up additional speakers (according to a Chrysler rep who posted on another site).  I think they have alienated a lot of truck buyers with this "feature".  But the rest of the truck is so darn nice, it may not affect sales as much.

We've had a variety of radio's over the years too, and currently, both our vehicles have MyGIGs in them. Thankfully we've never experienced the problem that your friend had with his! I do rather like the MyGIG though, especially having a hard drive that you can store music on, and never have to deal with CDs/Plugging devices in to the radio. 

I think I had that same radio as you - the 6 CD radio that plays MP3s. It was a good radio, and had a nice display screen too. The biggest issue was that there was no "Aux In" plug on it.

I'd argue that any of the newer vehicles with the 8.4" radios are difficult to put aftermarket radios in, because of how integrated the screen & climate controls are. The uConnect Access systems are even more so integrated. But that isn't a "problem" unique to Chrysler vehicles.

I don't think that any factory radio from Chrysler has pre-outs on it though, not just the new radios.

Personally I don't mind all the integration, as I'd rather just get what I want from the factory, and have it all fully covered under warranty, and never have to deal with changing any of it.

Edited by UN4GTBL, March 7, 2013 at 09:32 am.

#33 Dave

Dave

It's me, Dave

• Supporters
  • 20,636 posts

Posted March 10, 2013 at 04:07 pm

I kinda miss the days of being able to swap out radios easily but I'll be the first to admit we did it because factory radios weren't any good.

#34 FreeLantz

FreeLantz

Tried & True Mopar Fan

• 2,114 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 at 08:32 pm

That's true, especially during the years when CD's were becoming popular but the cars were still being built with tape decks only.  In recent years I've just left the factory head units in my Mopars and added an amp and subwoofer, and upgraded the speakers in the doors.  Even with the lack of a CD player, for me personally, it would be no big deal if the '13 radio at least allowed you to upgrade everything else.  And apparently it does not.

#35 UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL
  • 5,136 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 at 09:17 am

That's true, especially during the years when CD's were becoming popular but the cars were still being built with tape decks only.  In recent years I've just left the factory head units in my Mopars and added an amp and subwoofer, and upgraded the speakers in the doors.  Even with the lack of a CD player, for me personally, it would be no big deal if the '13 radio at least allowed you to upgrade everything else.  And apparently it does not.

If that is true, it's only a matter of time before the aftermarket figures it out.

#36 JRS200x

JRS200x

CJDR + FIAT SALES PERSON

• Supporters III
  • 3,040 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 at 09:57 am

There's a reason. Quickest way to void your warranty? Messing with the electrical systems. That radio controls A LOT, they don't want you touching it anymore.

Sure it sucks for the small number of people who actually modify their sound systems, but you don't have to worry about paying the warranty claims either.. Chrysler does. It ain't cheap.

#37 Thumper

Thumper
  • 133 posts

Posted April 3, 2013 at 07:30 am

Will the radio recognize a USB CD player plugged into the USB port? 

#38 JRS200x

JRS200x

CJDR + FIAT SALES PERSON

• Supporters III
  • 3,040 posts

Posted April 4, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Will the radio recognize a USB CD player plugged into the USB port? 

Interesting question, I don't see why not, but I have no idea.  I didn't even know such a thing existed lol.

#39 Dave

Dave

It's me, Dave

• Supporters
  • 20,636 posts

Posted April 5, 2013 at 02:36 pm

That's a good question. They are data devices -- external CD drives are very handy for ultralight laptops and also for computers like Mac Minis without optical drives, they're also handy for laptops with trouble-prone CD drives (most slot-loaders are overly sensitive to dirt and such). I have a Firewire external drive and probably a USB one as well. 

Thing is, you really shouldn't be USING a non-automotive CD player in a moving car. They're not designed to be moved around while the car is going.

I would suspect they would not work, but I don't know. 

As a side note, when I saw the headline, I thought it was a radio station questio. AM 1500 RADIO! WRAM?

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.