cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

64 dodge dart bulkhead connectors

6 replies to this topic

#1 BBird

BBird
  • 2 posts

Posted November 10, 2012 at 04:07 pm

Hi , im new to forum , I have a question for my friend. He has a 64 dodge dart , he wants to replace some of the conn pins in the bulkhead. He found female ones and found out you depress a tab to release them from the bulkhead.
The male one has him stumped , how do you remove it ? thanks

#2 tazdevil

tazdevil
  • 487 posts

Posted November 10, 2012 at 04:15 pm

Is he building a pure stock restoration? If he is not concerned with originality, he should seriously consider eliminating the bulkhead connector altogether, and use terminal strips or an aftermarket wiring system. The old bulkhead systems are very prone to problems, and actully run full charge current through one terminal, which is a no no. Sorry I cannot answer your question.

#3 Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln

"CHECK FAULT CODES"

• Supporters (L2)
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 25,346 posts

Posted November 10, 2012 at 04:22 pm

I believe the male terminals are molded into the connector, they won't be replaceable. I'd rewire the system with different connectors.

#4 dana44

dana44
  • 16,625 posts

Posted November 10, 2012 at 05:12 pm

They are not moulded into the plastic, they are removable. If you look at the connection side where the female enters the terminal, there is a small little groove. Take a paper clip and flatten or file a flat on it to make it thin enough, then push the electrical wire into the plastic then slide the paper clip into the groove, there is a little tab that will depress and the wire will then pull out the back. NAPA carries the proper connections in boxes and are not on display, and to prevent there being problems in the future, dielectric grease is the best thing to help prevent them from corroding and getting water contamination due to its location.

#5 BBird

BBird
  • 2 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 at 07:13 pm

yes we can get the female apart but the male has no tab to depress

#6 dana44

dana44
  • 16,625 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 at 03:01 am

It's there, If you have some kind of spare in a connector, yank it out, look at it and reverse engineer to get them out, I did my whole 68 Charger this way so I know for a fact they come out.

#7 Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln

"CHECK FAULT CODES"

• Supporters (L2)
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 25,346 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 at 10:26 am

Connectors that lock in this way usually have a small tang that's not obvious. It will dig in at an angle to prevent the male tab from being pulled toward the backside of the connector.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.