cars

allpar, the Chrysler - Dodge - Jeep car and truck site

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo

I entered the modern automotive age

9 replies to this topic

#1 Fifth87

Fifth87
  • 244 posts

Posted December 1, 2012 at 01:22 pm

After nearly two months of limbo, I completed the purchase of my late Father in Law's '09 Caliber SXT that I had recently posted about water leak issues.

I resolved those and now have a car that I am pretty excited about. 

22K on the clock, Orange with a black interior and more loaded than any car I've ever owner. It is a bit scratched up from my Mother in Law's driving, but once I give it a good polish and wax, I think I'll be able to overlook them. Having gotten into this car from a strippo '87 Caprice wagon has taken some getting used to (FM Radio- what's that?) but not being passed by virtually everything on the road has not.

#2 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 11,758 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted December 1, 2012 at 02:50 pm

Congrats.

It is a heavy, but safe car for it's size. You may have the knee, side and thorax air bags as well.

I got out of my '96 Neon which was a 2.0L/stick and ~600 lbs lighter than mom's '07 2.0L SXT. The CVT doesn't lend itself to spunkiness. The 'shift' software could be more refined.

The TCM 'launch improvement' flash makes it seem to rev off the line, then bog down after it reaches ~25 mph. It takes some getting used to, especially when you try to drive gently up to speed when no one is in a hurry behind you. 

#3 Fifth87

Fifth87
  • 244 posts

Posted December 1, 2012 at 03:51 pm

Thanks!

It does have the side curtain bags in the B pillar that I observed, didn't know there were more hidden in there.

The CVT did take some getting used to, I noted what you described exactly. I also didn't realize it had such torque steer when aggressively accelerating. 

I have gotten used to the driving characteristics though, as I usually drive it pretty gently.

Thank you again for your assistance with the water leak issue!

#4 chuzz

chuzz
  • 5,049 posts

Posted December 4, 2012 at 11:09 am

Congrats on fixing the water leaks. Was it clogged sunroof drains? I can personally testify as to the Caliber being a safe car. My son and I got hit head on in mine in April of 2011. The car that hit us was doing and estimated 70mph and we were traveling at 50mph. Air bags deployed as they were supposed to and even though we were battered and bruised, we both walked away from it. My son had to have knee surgery and we both had PT for our backs and necks, but we still fared a lot better than the stupid little dope-head that hit us. I agree the CVT takes some getting used to, but loved how easy the 2.0 is to work on. Tune up only took me about 20 minutes from start to finish.

#5 Fifth87

Fifth87
  • 244 posts

Posted December 5, 2012 at 11:32 am

Thanks! Yes, it turned out to be sunroof drains.

I remember your posts from when you had your accident. I kept those in mind when I decided to buy this one.

What was the end result with the other driver, the other thread didn't say.

It took a little getting used to the CVT I must admit, but I think I have gotten used to it.

That is good to know about the ease of maintenance- I had scrutinized the engine compartment just to be sure about it.

#6 chuzz

chuzz
  • 5,049 posts

Posted December 15, 2012 at 10:17 pm

She was initially pronounced dead on the scene, but with five of us praying for her and the paramedics using the defibrillator on her, they life flighted her to the Vanderbilt trauma unit. She was home five days later with a broken leg, separated shoulder and "non life threatening" internal injuries I was amazed that she lived. When I went to check on her right after the impact, she had blood coming out of both ears and I could barely feel a pulse in her neck. God was looking out for her. We still haven't gone to court, but settled out with the insurance company. Didn't get that much, but did manage to do some much needed work on my house and pay off some of the wifes medical bills. The young woman has admitted that she has a drug and alcohol problem and has been going to rehab. I hope this was a wake up call for her. We're supposed to go to court in February unless they delay her trial again. The assistant da has been in touch with me and they're going to let her plea bargain and she'll get two years probation with time served. She's also going to have to submit to random drug tests from time to time and she'll always have the felony of vehicular assault on her record. That won't ever go away. And if she's involved in another at fault DUI accident, she'll go to prison from two to twelve years. IF she lives through another one, that is.

Edited by chuzz, December 15, 2012 at 10:17 pm.

#7 2008 RT Caliber CVT2

2008 RT Caliber CVT2
  • 3 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 9, 2013 at 02:47 am

I just bought a Caliber and I was reading your posts. . . Can you tell me more about the water leak and the sunroof drains please. Thanks in advance.

#8 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 11,758 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 10, 2013 at 02:54 pm

Welcome to Allpar. Check your PM.

#9 Many Mopars - No Talent

Many Mopars - No Talent
  • 100 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 at 04:37 pm

She was initially pronounced dead on the scene, but with five of us praying for her and the paramedics using the defibrillator on her, they life flighted her to the Vanderbilt trauma unit. She was home five days later with a broken leg, separated shoulder and "non life threatening" internal injuries I was amazed that she lived. When I went to check on her right after the impact, she had blood coming out of both ears and I could barely feel a pulse in her neck. God was looking out for her. We still haven't gone to court, but settled out with the insurance company. Didn't get that much, but did manage to do some much needed work on my house and pay off some of the wifes medical bills. The young woman has admitted that she has a drug and alcohol problem and has been going to rehab. I hope this was a wake up call for her. We're supposed to go to court in February unless they delay her trial again. The assistant da has been in touch with me and they're going to let her plea bargain and she'll get two years probation with time served. She's also going to have to submit to random drug tests from time to time and she'll always have the felony of vehicular assault on her record. That won't ever go away. And if she's involved in another at fault DUI accident, she'll go to prison from two to twelve years. IF she lives through another one, that is.

Charlie,

Whatever resulted from that mess?  I kept forgetting to ask you.

#10 chuzz

chuzz
  • 5,049 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 at 08:46 am

I sent you a PM, Scott.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.