cars

allpar, the Chrysler - Dodge - Jeep car and truck site

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo

Looking at a 2nd Gen Durango

2 replies to this topic

#1 73chargerse

73chargerse
  • 67 posts

Posted December 9, 2012 at 02:57 am

I'm thinking about trading for a 2nd Gen Durango (I know, not all that popular, but I kinda like them).  I'm sticking to Hemi only, and was wondering if it's worth the extra few bucks to get an 06 or later to have the MDS.

Thanks!

#2 2Evil4U

2Evil4U
  • 4 posts

Posted March 4, 2013 at 09:32 am

Been awhile on this topic, but I can give some insight. We bought an 06 Hemi Adventurer new in 06. Just traded it in on a 2013 Hemi Crew. Put 140000 miles on it including some hard towing. (Imagine a 21' dual axle car hauler with a 1997 F150 4x4 extended cab on it behind the D. The trailer combo was probably double the weight of the D.) I was meticulous at changing the oil and used nothing but Amsoil 5W20. The only things that failed on it were the EGR valve at about 40k and the transmission controller solenoid pack at about 110k. I changed them both myself. We had no issues with the motor or trans other than that and it was still running fine when we traded it.

All that said, I do have a friend who purchased an 06 Magnum with 50k on it. At about 80k he had to have the entire upper end replaced because the MDS crashed. Those are two data points.

I'd say if it's been maintained well, there would be no problems.

Economy wise, I have an 04 D2500 with the hemi without MDS and it gets about 17mpg. The D with MDS gets about 18.5 if driven in a similar manner for waht it's worth.

#3 73chargerse

73chargerse
  • 67 posts

Posted March 6, 2013 at 09:22 am

Thanks for the info, but I've since decided to make the financially sound move of buying my grandmother's 02 T&C LX and selling my car.  Will revisit getting a Durango a few years down the road.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.