cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

Fuel pump for '52 Coronet

8 replies to this topic

#1 Ray Green

Ray Green

Happily living in RV heaven. You think cars are bad!

• 1,331 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 at 04:27 pm

Any idea where to find one? It's a flathead 6 cylinder. A tag on the old pump says 588 428. Part number maybe? I found nothing that looked like it while Googling.

#2 dana44

dana44
  • 16,625 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 at 04:30 pm

Between finding a rebuild kit, which is very simple, only a spring, check ball and diaphram, the latter is what goes bad most of the time, then go with a block-off plate and an electric fuel pump, maybe a regulator if needed. I would try a kit first.

#3 68RT

68RT
  • 4,597 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 at 06:58 pm

Good possibility that they woulld be available from a forklift dealer that deals in older forklifts (flathead 6 was popular for forklifts in the fifties) or from the Power wagon people.

#4 dana44

dana44
  • 16,625 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 at 08:55 pm

Try this: www.thepartsbin.com/guides/dodge/b-3/fuel_pump.html,  right at $50, direct OE replacement,

Part number is #AF9543

#5 Ray Green

Ray Green

• 1,331 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 at 09:35 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.

Dana, I saw the pump you linked and it isn't like what we have but could work. AAP has that same part number as well.

I took the old pump apart and the diaphram looked good but the check valve was stuck. I freed it up and put the pump back on the engine. The battery was dead and it was quitting time so I'll try it tomorrow.

This classic has a 6 volt positive ground electrical system. Do I still hook red to hot from the battery charger even though the hot is the ground?

#6 dana44

dana44
  • 16,625 posts

Posted December 18, 2012 at 12:20 am

Attach the ground wire from the body/engine attachmnt to the positive for positive ground.

Oh, and good. Usually you can take the mechanical arm and push it to see if it is pumping, but then again, if it was frozen in the open position you still wouldn't know if it was working properly, haha. They are pretty simple pumps, and as long as the arm is the same length and the bolt pattern/gasket to the block is the same or seals against the block, yeah, there were quite a few different appearances, but they should still work.

#7 68RT

68RT
  • 4,597 posts

Posted December 18, 2012 at 10:42 am

Always hook the red to the positive. Make sure your charger does 6 volt though. Yes, both Chrysler corp and Ford and some others used positive ground for 6 volt systems. Theory was that the body would have less corrosion.

#8 Ray Green

Ray Green

• 1,331 posts

Posted December 19, 2012 at 07:17 am

The Coronet started and runs smooth. I guess that stuck check valve was the problem.

• Curtis Redgap likes this

#9 dana44

dana44
  • 16,625 posts

Posted December 19, 2012 at 11:56 am

Glad to hear it worked.

• Curtis Redgap likes this

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.