cars

allpar, the Chrysler - Dodge - Jeep car and truck site

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

AN: Clarified: eight-speed Hemi cars in summer

62 replies to this topic

#21 MoparNorm

MoparNorm

Active Jeeper

• Supporters III
  • 24,383 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 3, 2013 at 01:06 pm

As of late summer it wasn't on the schedule, I'll double check when I get a chance as things can and do change.

Yeah, Norm, quite the character, enjoy having him around, fun to push his buttons from time to time (of course not intentionally) :D.

I'm pretty sure he meant funny looking... ;)

Please note when the Minivans will get their 8 speed, 250,000 of your closest friends may need to know.

Nicks%20Wedding%20046.JPG

#22 oh2o

oh2o

Hyperactive

• Others:Forum Leader
  • 2,400 posts

Posted January 3, 2013 at 02:51 pm

Please note when the Minivans will get their 8 speed, 250,000 of your closest friends may need to know.

Well, speaking of minivans, one of those 250k friends wanted me to ask you, what is the best lift kit/tires/springs to get for a '12 Town & Country, and, will the skid plates need to be beefed up? He was thinking 4"-5" but is worried about front alignment issues.
  • Dave likes this

#23 specialized09

specialized09
  • Members - Under 2 Posts
  • 1 posts

Posted January 3, 2013 at 07:23 pm

oh20,

So this really isn't likely? Thought I read somewhere the Chrysler CEO quoted the following.

Wrangler: The Wrangler isn't scheduled for a redesign until 2017, though it is scheduled to get a heavy-duty eight-speed transmission, likely in 2014.

Edited by specialized09, January 3, 2013 at 07:23 pm.

#24 Mr.Source

Mr.Source
  • Supporters III
  • 2,413 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 3, 2013 at 07:56 pm

Chrysler is finishing tough tests with new transmisions, in the pipeline we have more than just an 8 speed tranny, so let's give some time, don't worry, Chrysler WILL have new transmisions starting with 2014 models.

Engines will also be improved, I mean there are important changes coming in almost every area, every department at Chrysler has a lot of work to do but what matters here, is the passion for their work we are seeing in almost everybody, there are no excuses to give the best right now at Auburn Hills, I'm scared just to see how Chrysler is now performing, there is a lot of good and nice stuff coming. 

#25 Dave

Dave

It's me, Dave

• Supporters
  • Others:Superfriend
  • 20,646 posts

Posted January 3, 2013 at 08:13 pm

... "Hey, here's an idea. Let's give them money and people and tell them we care, and not say that we can't use it after all because it costs too much."

#26 Challenger6.4

Challenger6.4
  • 29 posts

Posted January 3, 2013 at 08:16 pm

So oh2o, when the order banks open up on Wednesday(January9th) on the Ram 1500 will the eight speed transmission be available? What are the MPG's looking like also?

Thanks for all your input :thumbsup:

#27 oh2o

oh2o

Hyperactive

• 2,400 posts

Posted January 3, 2013 at 08:59 pm

So oh2o, when the order banks open up on Wednesday(January9th) on the Ram 1500 will the eight speed transmission be available? What are the MPG's looking like also?
Thanks for all your input :thumbsup:

January order banks open on Tuesday the 8th. But 8-speed for the Ram 5.7L won't start production until early March, so might not be orderable until February allocation (February 5th).

I noticed you said Liberty, and not Cherokee. Does that mean that the replacement for the KK will still be called Liberty here in the US? Thanks.

I used "Liberty" so as not to rile Norm. "Cherokee" still shows up internally, but as has happened in the past, a name change can occur at the last minute.

#28 oh2o

oh2o

Hyperactive

• 2,400 posts

Posted January 3, 2013 at 09:09 pm

Thanks oh2o for the information!! Would the someone like myself with current 8 speed be able to see a huge difference in the chrysler made/modified zf?? Also with the Hemi 5.7 applied will it still use MDS and any word on the 0-60 time?

I don't believe that one would notice a huge difference between driving a vehicle with the 8HP45 vs the 845RE, but I haven't seen any performance related details comparing the two. Hemi + 8 speed will still have MDS. No idea on 0-60.

#29 MoparNorm

MoparNorm

Active Jeeper

• Supporters III
  • 24,383 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 3, 2013 at 10:30 pm

I used "Liberty" so as not to rile Norm. "Cherokee" still shows up internally, but as has happened in the past, a name change can occur at the last minute.

Not to worry, I have plenty of white-out...wierd thing is, as soon as I scroll, I can see the censored word again???

...and don't be silly, everyone knows 3.5" is as high as you can lift the Town & Country, any higher than that and the hot tub spills...

#30 Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi
  • Supporters III
  • 5,805 posts

Posted January 4, 2013 at 06:33 am

I'm pretty sure he meant funny looking... ;)

I thought the minivans were getting the 9-speed since they are FWD...........

#31 SouthPawXJ

SouthPawXJ
  • 522 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 4, 2013 at 07:10 am

Thank you. I understand. You don't rile Norm, and you don't poke the bear! :scared: 

Not to worry, I have plenty of white-out...wierd thing is, as soon as I scroll, I can see the censored word again???

...and don't be silly, everyone knows 3.5" is as high as you can lift the Town & Country, any higher than that and the hot tub spills...

Norm... You owe me a new keyboard. This one has coffee all over it now.

#32 redhed

redhed

Sometimes you just have to fly by the seat of your pants!

• Supporters III
  • 1,522 posts

Posted January 4, 2013 at 12:26 pm

I don't believe that one would notice a huge difference between driving a vehicle with the 8HP45 vs the 845RE, but I haven't seen any performance related details comparing the two. Hemi + 8 speed will still have MDS. No idea on 0-60.

is the 8HP70 for the hemi rams/jgc/durango coming from kokomo or a zf factory?  don't know really why i care...but for some reason am interested...:-)

#33 MoparNorm

MoparNorm

Active Jeeper

• Supporters III
  • 24,383 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 4, 2013 at 01:46 pm

is the 8HP70 for the hemi rams/jgc/durango coming from kokomo or a zf factory?  don't know really why i care...but for some reason am interested...:-)

My sources tell me the Hemi transmission to be used is the 8HP90.

#34 redhed

redhed

• Supporters III
  • 1,522 posts

Posted January 4, 2013 at 02:42 pm

My sources tell me the Hemi transmission to be used is the 8HP90.

i'll let you and oh2o duke it out over that!!  most of what i've seen "here" has referenced the 8HP70 being connected to both 5.7l and 6.4l hemis.  just wondering if kokomo was gonna be ready to build the 8HP70 by next month.  i presume they will be ready for 845RE (8HP45) production...?

#35 oh2o

oh2o

Hyperactive

• 2,400 posts

Posted January 4, 2013 at 03:21 pm

i'll let you and oh2o duke it out over that!!  most of what i've seen "here" has referenced the 8HP70 being connected to both 5.7l and 6.4l hemis.  just wondering if kokomo was gonna be ready to build the 8HP70 by next month.  i presume they will be ready for 845RE (8HP45) production...?

8HP70 for the Hemi models, purchased from ZF. Kokomo is now building the 45's.
  • redhed likes this

#36 MoparNorm

MoparNorm

Active Jeeper

• Supporters III
  • 24,383 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 4, 2013 at 06:00 pm

i'll let you and oh2o duke it out over that!!  

Nothing to duke out over. ;)

To clarify, the 8HP90. is for the Supercharged Hemi 6.2.

#37 MoparMantis

MoparMantis
  • 283 posts

Posted January 5, 2013 at 06:47 pm

The 2013 model year has ended for the Grand Cherokee. 2014 models will start production late this month. 2013 Compass and Patriot will also end early, with 2014 models starting production in March. The new Liberty will launch in mid-May. Late September for the Ram HD 6.4L. Most of the rest of the '14 lineup will start up in July/August.

Will the HD Rams with the 6.4 have the eight speed and MDS?

#38 oh2o

oh2o

Hyperactive

• 2,400 posts

Posted January 5, 2013 at 07:02 pm

Will the HD Rams with the 6.4 have the eight speed and MDS?

2 variants, with and without MDS. 6-speed Aisin.

#39 redhed

redhed

• Supporters III
  • 1,522 posts

Posted January 5, 2013 at 07:16 pm

Nothing to duke out over. ;)

To clarify, the 8HP90. is for the Supercharged Hemi 6.2.

that's kinda what i figured but was told NO..."they" said the 8HP70 can be beefed up enough to handle the SC6.2 as the 8HP90 was overkill.  *shrug*

2 variants, with and without MDS. 6-speed Aisin.

i gather no VCT on the 392??

#40 Aldo

Aldo
  • Supporters III
  • 1,039 posts

Posted January 5, 2013 at 08:46 pm

Any word on when the 8-speed will appear on SRT8s?

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.