cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo

New one

8 replies to this topic

#1 poecker

poecker
  • Supporters
  • 5 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 6, 2013 at 06:57 am

Hi to all,

I'm new here and I'm on this forum as I'm he owner of a 1983 Chrysler New Yorker Fifth Avenue Edition, 318 2-bbl, Slate Grey, grey leather. It's mine since May 2012. The built sheet gives week 1, 1983 as the manufacturing date and the car was delivered in July 1983 through Perkins Dodge, Colorado Springs and stayed there with the first owners until November 2010, when it was sold to Germany. The second owner soon discovered that it's hard t keep a historic car if you've got no space, so he sold it on to me in May 2012.

Mileage is around 78.ooo now and the trip to bring it home through Germany was without the slightest problem (500 miles). It gets a lot of attention here, looking like a palace on wheels. I will keep it in original condition and I really enjoy driving it, it's totally different to my daily car. Luckily, it's quite maneuverable in a country full of winding narrow roads and roundabouts everywhere. Roadholding is "unique" compared to a modern car, but that's what I bought it for.

I really wanted one of those Reagan-era US luxury cars since seeing them as a child, driven by US army soldiers around Mannheim and Heidelberg. And with the A-999 lockup transmission, it's reasonably economical rolling on the Autobahn at 120 km/h (70 mph).

Everything works, including Lean Burn, air condition, cruise control and all those funny warning chimes. What it does need is another oil change as it had some carbon buildup and maybe a radiator flush. Shift from front to reverse is hard when the engine is on cold idle, but having read the service bulletins, I'll simply have the idle adjusted and let it warm up properly before driving.

Now for the "need help" part:

- front disc brake rotors. What should I buy - no name or Bendix discs?

- turn signal switch needs replacement. Does anyone have a used one (tilt wheel)?

- right valve cover leaks a little, will have that replaced and the valve guide seals also. Any ideas for a good source for engine seals?

Tanks so far

Gunther

Vehicle
Chrysler New Yorker
Last Updated Jan 8 2013 at 01:57 am

#2 valiant67

valiant67

Rich, Corinthian Leather

• Supporters III
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 22,455 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 6, 2013 at 07:37 am

My thoughts:
1) I would pay extra for a name brand rotor, though the Wagner is rated higher than the Bendix on rockauto.com
2) A new turn signal switch isn't very expensive on rockauto.com. I'd go new as it would cost more to extract a used one from a tilt column than you can buy a new one for.
3) Get the highest quality valve gaskets you can. Rockauto will have all these parts as well.

#3 poecker

poecker
  • Supporters
  • 5 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 8, 2013 at 01:54 am

Thanks for the advice. Rockauto seem fine, they even have their site in german ;-)

One more, though:

I need the key for the wire wheel covers for my NY. Tires are new, but the key was lost by the first german owner. Would like to have that... anyone with a spare?

Thanks

Gunther

#4 valiant67

valiant67

Rich, Corinthian Leather

• Supporters III
  • 22,455 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 8, 2013 at 04:59 am

The problem is there were a few different key patterns for the wire wheel cover locks, it might be a good idea to post a picture of the lock on yours.

#5 TWX

TWX

DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!

• Supporters
  • 8,871 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 8, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Looks nice!  If the road feel ever gets on your nerves, there are some mild suspension bushings improvements possible, and since there were police cars on this chassis there are even some improved hard parts available.  Tracking them down for import might be a challenge, but they're out there.

#6 poecker

poecker
  • Supporters
  • 5 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 13, 2013 at 09:51 am

To TWX: The road feel is perfect... this is a toy, purely recreational, so it has to be as far as possible from the feel of my regular car as possible. The steering has a bit of road feel, so it is ok. The brakes are soft, but it does stop after all. Wheel alignment seems to be fine (no uneven tyre wear and front end hasn't sagged). I'll get good discs and new pads anyway. Won't turn it into a luxury squad car, I want that big car ride (well, 1980s big car).

After all, the car passed the german motor vehicle inspection.

Then, I was able to get some not-so-fine photos of the wheelcover lock. Hope they are fine and maybe someone has one to spare.

felgenschloss.jpg

Edited by poecker, January 13, 2013 at 09:51 am.

#7 TWX

TWX

DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!

• Supporters
  • 8,871 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 17, 2013 at 04:30 pm

Try putting you camera on macro mode if you can, that might give us some clearer photos.

I certainly understand having a different feel to the ride than what you normally drive.  When I went from a '78 Chrysler Cordoba with its torsion bars in front and leaf springs with live axle in the back, to a '97 Dodge Stratus with four wheel McPherson struts, it was quite the change.  Neither was really worse than the other, but while the Cordoba didn't sweat the small bumps, the Stratus felt them, even if it wasn't necessarily bad, it was just unnecessary.

#8 poecker

poecker
  • Supporters
  • 5 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 19, 2013 at 08:54 am

So, with better lighting, photos of my wire wheel cover lock turned out clear.

By the way, how many different keys are there for these covers? And are the keys available at Chrysler dealers? If yes, maybe someone can go to a dealer and just buy a set for me and mail them to Germany, instant  Paypal payment for sure.

Changing brakes on the front axle won't be any good without the key ;-)

felgenschloss2.jpg

#9 TWX

TWX

DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!

• Supporters
  • 8,871 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 19, 2013 at 12:24 pm

I'm personally unfamiliar with that lock mechanism, but it appears to have little nubs on the outside edge that one might be able to use to turn them with some kind of needle-nose pliers.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.