cars

allpar, the Chrysler - Dodge - Jeep car and truck site

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

Found Something About my Challenger I'm Not Too Crazy About

36 replies to this topic

#21 TWX

TWX

DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!

• Supporters
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 8,871 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 9, 2013 at 09:36 am

I guess that I don't get it...  I'm fine with chome steel wheels and polished but otherwise bare-finished aluminum wheels.  Dad's got steel Magnum 500 wheels on his '72 Barracuda and steel Cragar Keystones on his '73 Charger.  They look really nice in those sizes.  I've got aluminum Torq Thrust IIs on my Cordoba, they look good in 15", and a buddy has 17" Torq Thust IIs on his '72 Monaco and they look really nice on that car.

Is there some status thing for aluminum chrome wheels?  Because obviously they corroded away before, and they're just plastic now...

Edited by TWX, January 9, 2013 at 09:37 am.

#22 Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster

Vaguely badass...

• Supermen
  • Others:Supporters
  • 19,670 posts

Posted January 9, 2013 at 09:39 am

It would be nice if people went back to preferring machined aluminum ... or hubcaps.
I really like machined aluminum wheels. And some painted aluminum wheels.

Hubcaps and steel wheels are great when the value of your vehicle becomes less than the value of your fancy wheels. ;)

#23 bumonbox

bumonbox

Say no to kool-aid

• Supporters
  • 3,431 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 9, 2013 at 09:49 am

One issue with "re-machining" of the plated or unplated wheels is that you are removing the base metal-reducing the strength of the wheel and opening up the microstructure to more leak paths. On the bead, you will cause MORE leaks, eventually, as the microstructure cracks under load.

When I had them "fix" the wheels, they put some kind of coating on where they had worked, then it appears reworked that.  I don't know enough about it of course, and it's far from a real solution.  And of course that's the point you were making.  The minivans regular old aluminum alloys have given me NO grief.  I would have avoided buying a vehicle with the wheels on my 300m ever again.  It's just a massive PIA.  Now, thankfully, should I end up with "Chrome cladded" wheels, it appears I would not be haunted by these issues again.  I am not really that picky anyways.  But yeah,  gimme plastic covered chrome cladded wheels that have the look, and not the head ache.

#24 MoparNorm

MoparNorm

Active Jeeper

• Supporters III
  • 24,374 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 9, 2013 at 10:34 am

These are the baby's when new. They are removable chrome plastic caps, over steel wheels, but they were advertised as "chrome clad wheels". Fool me once....

Dcp_0099.jpg

DCP_0255_0001.JPG

#25 Aldo

Aldo
  • Supporters III
  • 1,039 posts

Posted January 9, 2013 at 03:28 pm

"Chrome clad" not "plastic clad."

Yup, plastic is everywhere, even in my wallet. 

It is a matter of time until they can get plastic so even to replace the glass in vehicles and save a TON of weight.

#26 duster92

duster92
  • 2,109 posts

Posted January 9, 2013 at 03:42 pm

Yup, plastic is everywhere, even in my wallet. 

It is a matter of time until they can get plastic so even to replace the glass in vehicles and save a TON of weight.

Remember the gold "Fibride" wheels on that 1989 Shelby CSX? 

#27 Daytona Dude

Daytona Dude
  • Others:Invalid E-mail - contact admin
  • 1,208 posts

Posted January 9, 2013 at 08:56 pm

"Chrome Clad" is an obvious marketing term. It doesn't represent the product. Also, why not make the cladding replaceable? Well, I think they'd rather sell you another wheel than offer a cheaper alternative. That's my opinion. In the future, I'll definately pay closer attention. I'd actually prefer a hub cap.

#28 Jeff2KPatriotBlue

Jeff2KPatriotBlue

Radioactive

• Forum Leader
  • Others:Active Member
  • 5,336 posts

Posted January 9, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Why not make cladding replaceable? Because, as somebody pointed out, if it is removable, it is stealable. Labour to remove the cladding, prep the surface, apply adhesive, cure.... Then you have to worry about lining it all up correctly...

Not economically feasible.
  • ptschett likes this

#29 Doug D

Doug D

Virginia Gentleman

• 9,056 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 at 06:18 am

If it were "replaceable" wouldn't they just be glorified wheel covers?   I agree that making them "replaceable" would not be economically feasible.

And maybe it's just me, but lately I've noticed many newer cars (mostly Honda's, Toyota's, etc) where the buyer opted for steel wheels with wheel covers.

#30 Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster

Vaguely badass...

• Supermen
  • Others:Supporters
  • 19,670 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 at 09:04 am

It's not lately - been that way for a while. Base model Accords and Camrys, Odysseys and Siennas, all running around with plastic wheel covers on steel wheels.

Not saying it's a bad thing, but understandably the marketing photos don't tend to focus on them.

#31 Jeff2KPatriotBlue

Jeff2KPatriotBlue

Radioactive

• Forum Leader
  • Others:Active Member
  • 5,336 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 at 09:09 am

Here in Canada, it is typical to see naked steelies for snow tires.

#32 Mick M

Mick M
  • 1,656 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 10, 2013 at 09:46 am

I don't mind my chrome clad wheels. They look great when clean. If I chose what wheel the car came with I would have gone for painted aluminum wheels like our van has. Chrome is a bit flashy for my taste.

Mick

Edited by Mick M, January 10, 2013 at 09:47 am.

#33 TWX

TWX

DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!

• Supporters
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 8,871 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 10, 2013 at 09:46 am

Here in Canada, it is typical to see naked steelies for snow tires.

That makes sense, the full-face hubcap can offer a place for salty snow to get stuck.

I'm a little surprised that companies making steel wheels for snow tires haven't chosen to again offer a wheel that has provision for a small center hubcap with a tight seal though.

#34 CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision
  • 3,902 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 at 09:55 am

When my wife decided on the getting the Malibu in 2009 I was looking at at the different wheels and noticed the "chrome" ones. The salesman said, "you don't want them." At least he was honest.

#35 JRS200x

JRS200x

CJDR + FIAT SALES PERSON

• 3,055 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 at 04:13 pm

I don't know of any manufacturers that ACTUALLY chrome their wheels.   Polished aluminum maybe, real chrome?  Doubtful.  Massive pain in the rear to take care of real chrome wheels to avoid pitting etc.   Chrome clad wheels are a good solution.

As for why not make them replaceable... Well because then they are hubcaps, and we know what happens to those... 1 falls off when you hit a bump or take a turn to hard, then you have mismatched wheels etc.  Would be a pain as well... Plus like others said, they can be stolen then...

#36 MoparNorm

MoparNorm

Active Jeeper

• Supporters III
  • 24,374 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 10, 2013 at 05:44 pm

I don't know of any manufacturers that ACTUALLY chrome their wheels.   Polished aluminum maybe, real chrome?  Doubtful.  Massive pain in the rear to take care of real chrome wheels to avoid pitting etc.   Chrome clad wheels are a good solution.

As for why not make them replaceable... Well because then they are hubcaps, and we know what happens to those... 1 falls off when you hit a bump or take a turn to hard, then you have mismatched wheels etc.  Would be a pain as well... Plus like others said, they can be stolen then...

Mine are basically hubcaps...

Dcp_0099.jpg

DCP_0255_0001.JPG

It's why I was displeased with the marketing terminology. ;)

#37 brycmtthw

brycmtthw
  • 1,749 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 at 02:51 am

The Dart "polished aluminum" isn't really polished aluminum, I don't think at least... I think it's a new dangled chrome process... Looks more chrome than polished...

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.