cars

allpar, the Chrysler - Dodge - Jeep car and truck site

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo

NV4500 trans

8 replies to this topic

#1 OLD HEMI

OLD HEMI
  • 5 posts

Posted January 8, 2013 at 06:09 pm

Is tere a difference between the 4x4 and 2wd mainshafts? This is my first experience with this tranny. I piked up a 4x4 trans for free and want to put it in my 68 D300 service truck. Thanks

Lee

#2 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 11,767 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 8, 2013 at 07:16 pm

Welcome to Allpar. Although they may all be the same throughout the years, do you know what year the transmission is? Knowing will help me look it up.

#3 OLD HEMI

OLD HEMI
  • 5 posts

Posted January 9, 2013 at 08:19 am

I was told that it was a an 89, the truck has been crushed. The trans was behind a V6 in a half ton 4x4. The truck has been crushed. Thanks

Lee

#4 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 11,767 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 9, 2013 at 10:23 am

The NV4500 didn't start build until 1992. Is there a round New Venture code plate attached? Is it a cast iron case?

The 2WD and 4WD output spline counts were different. The standard duty unit bell-housing would fit 3.9L, 5.2L and 5.9L until 2005. It would have been real overkill in a V6 half-ton truck. Maybe an NV3500 if it has an aluminum case.

http://en.wikipedia....00_transmission

#5 MoparNorm

MoparNorm

Active Jeeper

• Supporters III
  • 24,311 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 10, 2013 at 11:43 pm

One way to tell is the NV3500 has an integrated bell housing.

#6 OLD HEMI

OLD HEMI
  • 5 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 at 03:32 pm

The trans is a cast iron case, it is out of a 1/2 ton 4x4 with full time 4wd. It may have been newer than I was told but no way of knowing because it was crushed. Thank you for the info. I guess I will look for somebody to swap a 4x4 trans for a 2wd.

Lee

#7 MoparNorm

MoparNorm

Active Jeeper

• Supporters III
  • 24,311 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 20, 2013 at 04:19 am

The trans is a cast iron case, it is out of a 1/2 ton 4x4 with full time 4wd. It may have been newer than I was told but no way of knowing because it was crushed. Thank you for the info. I guess I will look for somebody to swap a 4x4 trans for a 2wd.

Lee

Likely older than you were told. The cast iron transmissions were the NP435, looking like this:

10_435np_tranny.jpg

and NP4530, looking like this:

10_4530np_tranny_1.jpg

#8 OLD HEMI

OLD HEMI
  • 5 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 at 06:48 pm

The one that I have is a 5 speed, it has the screw on shift lever. It is longer than my 435 that I have. I have looked it up online and looks like the NV4500.

Lee

#9 MoparNorm

MoparNorm

Active Jeeper

• Supporters III
  • 24,311 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 20, 2013 at 07:50 pm

A NV4500 should have the NVG aluminum tag on it, or a stamp with the model number.
Often it is overlooked because it is covered with grease or dirt.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.