cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo

B-series vans differences in engine position in chassis.

5 replies to this topic

#1 flblessk

flblessk
  • 2 posts

Posted January 8, 2013 at 10:26 pm

They apparently moved the engine forward in the B van chassis twice, once in the late 1980's, again in the 1990's, reducing engine access each time, at least from the interiour.  The literature is vauge as to which years the changes occured and by exactly how far the engine position changed, does anyone know, photographs would be nice.

#2 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 11,763 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 9, 2013 at 08:35 am

Welcome to Allpar. It was in 1988 and again in 1998 according to the Allpar article: http://www.allpar.co...cks/b-vans.html

It doesn't mention how much the dimensions were changed.

Seat and instrument panel clearances to the doghouse were also changed.

#3 TWX

TWX

DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!

• Supporters
  • 8,871 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 9, 2013 at 09:30 am

Huh.  I drove an '84 Royal 350 Maxiwagon and a '97 Ram Van 2500, and the doghouse covers were identical other than the color.  If they moved the engine forward they didn't change the cover.  I moved up to a '98 Ram Maxiwagon 3500, and it felt more like they moved the dash and seats rearward than moving the now-redesigned doghouse forward.

#4 flblessk

flblessk
  • 2 posts

Posted January 9, 2013 at 06:10 pm

I'm trying to find out what years had the best engine access from the interiour because its much easier and safer to work on from inside, especially during hard weather if you don't have a shop or driveway available.  I've read the allpar article.

Edited by flblessk, January 9, 2013 at 06:12 pm.

#5 TWX

TWX

DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!

• Supporters
  • 8,871 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 10, 2013 at 10:01 am

I pulled heads in a junkyard from a '90 or so, that was not very much fun.  It's hard to get the exhaust manifolds off because of the body of the van being so close.  Top-end work would probably be fairly easy, but nothing on the front or deep in would be accessible from inside.  The A-series (flat front) vans would probably be fairly easy to work on, but those are an entirely different animal.

Full-sized vans just suck to work on.

#6 MoparNorm

MoparNorm

Active Jeeper

• Supporters III
  • 24,295 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 14, 2013 at 09:36 am

I pulled and rebuilt my 1972 360, it was surprisingly easy and top end work was easier than leaning over the fenders because you could knell right beside the engine.
Pull the passenger seat and the motor lifts up and out the passenger door.
Piece of cake, a one man job, but easier with two.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.