cars

allpar, the Chrysler - Dodge - Jeep car and truck site

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo

Dodge Ram 1500 Torqueflite 8

15 replies to this topic

#1 Ross73

Ross73
  • Members - Under 2 Posts
  • 1 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 at 12:25 am

I feel like I'm in a reality warp.  As I recall, the Dodge Ram 1500 was awarded "Truck of the Year" honors for 2013 largely on the announcement of a new 8 speed ZF automatic transmission.  That transmission gave Dodge Truck a significant performance / mileage advantage over the competition.  The celebrated new unit--the "Torqueflite 8" was " . . . to be available in late January of 2013 on V-8 powered trucks."

It's now late June.  Not only has the the vaunted trans failed to materialize in V-8 powered production vehicles--so far as I've been able to discern from ads, dealer inquiries, and my own research--but its very existance seems to now be in question.  I no longer see any mention of it in Ram Truck ads.  The dealer doesn't seem to know what happened.  In fact it appears  as though the whole project never happened.

What am I missing?  What does everyone else know that I don't?  Thanks for any info.  I'd held off buying a new one specifically over that issue.

#2 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 11,785 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 23, 2013 at 07:00 am

Welcome to Allpar. I wasn't really expecting the 8HP behind anything besides the Pentastar for quite a while yet until the transmission can be proven and the development bugs worked out. It is still a new transmission in its early stages.

The huge torque of a Hemi compared to a Pentastar could be the issue. Once the new product hardware can be proven, then it will be released for production. Nobody wants a several thousand dollar transmission blowing up except maybe in a laboratory stress test.

The Hemi/8 speed isn't as easy as it sounds. It will be expensive to get the 700 ft/lb torque rating and it must be right the first time for Chrysler. No 2nd chances.

If you haven't already, test drive the Pentastar/8-speed Ram. They are plenty strong and economical.

http://en.wikipedia....HP_transmission

Edited by ImperialCrown, June 23, 2013 at 07:04 am.

#3 Doug D

Doug D

Virginia Gentleman

• 9,057 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 at 10:36 am

There was a thread somewhere on Allpar regarding the V8/8HP transmission combo availability.  If I recall correctly it was to be available later this year - either this summer or later this fall.  I can't locate the thread.

IC is correct though - the V6/8 speed is available.  For the average 1500 owner it is a good combination of power, towing capability and fuel mileage.

#4 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • 11,785 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 23, 2013 at 11:14 am

With the LX/LC/LD/WK2/WD V8 vehicles using this transmission as well, I'm sure that supplies will be tight for awhile.

#5 mids

mids
  • 3 posts

Posted June 29, 2013 at 05:24 am

This thread has me quite confused. We test drove a CC Laramie with the TF8 and Hemi back at the end of April 2013. We have a QC Big Horn with TF8 and Hemi, presently being shipped to us, which we had to order due to our specific desired combination. There are a few TF8/Hemi trucks available In our area.

Also, the TF8 built by ZF --8HP70, has been in production since around 2008. It has been in other vehicles before our RAMs, such as 7 series BMWs.

#6 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • 11,785 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 29, 2013 at 06:42 am

I think that the TF8 is making its way into cars first in order to raise the CAFE. This way they can sell more trucks?

Apparently there are a few TF8 Rams out there, just not a lot of them until production can ramp up. I haven't seen one in a truck yet.

#7 mids

mids
  • 3 posts

Posted June 29, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Here is a dealer, where nearly 30% of their 2013 RAM 1500 inventory has the TF8/Hemi combination.

http://www.browndaub...bodystyle=clear

#8 ptschett

ptschett
  • 624 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 29, 2013 at 10:55 pm

My local dealer has several Hemi 8-speeds - better than 10% of their Ram 1500 inventory (111 trucks) per my count. 

http://www.corwinchr...e=clear&start=0

#9 MoparNorm

MoparNorm

Active Jeeper

• Supporters III
  • 24,401 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted July 4, 2013 at 08:11 am

Also, the TF8 built by ZF --8HP70, has been in production since around 2008. It has been in other vehicles before our RAMs, such as 7 series BMWs.

It should be noted that yes, while the same trans series, the TF8 used by Chrysler is not identical internally to the former and car ZF...and ZF production will be phased out as Chrysler ZF production comes on line.
The Chrysler transmission plant will be the largest producer of the TF8.

#10 Dave

Dave

It's me, Dave

• Supporters
  • Others:Superfriend
  • 20,650 posts

Posted July 4, 2013 at 04:17 pm

What Norm said.

#11 mids

mids
  • 3 posts

Posted July 5, 2013 at 09:52 pm

Ah, I must have been confused.

The article linked at the end of this post, had me thinking that it was the same 8HP45, and 8HP70 transmissions used in the other brands cars. This is the statement that had me thinking that way, "Even before Sergio Marchionne took charges, rumors swirled around the idea of Chrysler using ZF eight-speed automatics, also used by makers such as Porsche and BMW, in their SRT8 cars and selected Dodge Ram pickups."

Reading a little further, however, I found this statement, "The transmission, when built by ZF itself, is a ZF design with changes to match Chrysler equipment. The 8HP45 is made by ZF version, while Chrysler has their own versions, 845RE and at least one related heavier duty model.

I was also under the impression, that while the 8HP45 and 8HP70, would be a ZF transmission, with known reliability, the unproven one, would be the 845RE/870RE that Chrysler is building at their own plant.

I apologize for any confusion.

The article I based my thought on, is located at this Allpar generated link.

Original is at 845RE / 8R70: ZF 8-Speed Automatic Transmission for Chrysler cars http://www.allpar.co...l#ixzz2YEHynfbO
Follow us: @allparcom on Twitter | allparcom on Facebook". 

Edited by mids, July 5, 2013 at 10:01 pm.

#12 megadodge

megadodge
  • 5 posts

Posted July 10, 2013 at 11:56 pm

I wonder how hard would a 2006 Ram 8sp swap be and the availability of the new trans.

#13 MoparNorm

MoparNorm

Active Jeeper

• Supporters III
  • 24,401 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted July 11, 2013 at 12:53 am

I wonder how hard would a 2006 Ram 8sp swap be and the availability of the new trans.

For the several months, nearly impossible and once they become available, likely very very expensive.
I'd give it a year before availability and pricing stabilize.
Also, any swap must involve the latest engine management computer system, otherwise the 8 speed will not properly function and the swap would not yield maximum results.

Edited by MoparNorm, July 11, 2013 at 12:56 am.

#14 Doug D

Doug D

Virginia Gentleman

• 9,057 posts

Posted July 11, 2013 at 07:17 am

As Norm indicated an install of the 8 speed would be expensive once the 8 speed becomes available.  The electronics have changed significantly since 2006 and would probably require a engine/transmission swap and even then it won't be simple or easy.  It's not like the old days when you could swap engines or transmissions at the drop of a hat.

If you want the 8 speed, you'd be better off just buying a new truck.

#15 JORGE MICHEL

JORGE MICHEL
  • 7 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 at 10:02 pm

For the several months, nearly impossible and once they become available, likely very very expensive.
I'd give it a year before availability and pricing stabilize.
Also, any swap must involve the latest engine management computer system, otherwise the 8 speed will not properly function and the swap would not yield maximum results.

Then it should be the reason of the low availability of 8-speed transmissions with the Hemi in the Mexican market, even for the 2014 year model. It is offered only with the full loaded Longhorn trim.

I wonder if Chrysler plans to expand its facilities in Saltillo in order to assembly the 8-speeds with the V8 and other features like the Rambox systems.

#16 68RT

68RT
  • 4,603 posts

Posted October 31, 2013 at 01:02 pm

And when you look at those dealers inventories, not one is a 4X2 which is what I would want. Some towing (smaller R/V trailer, daily drive, and good mileage (Pentastar). I only deal with snow about 1 week a year. Not really needing to go off onto really bad roads/trails.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.