cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo

Question about 2014 Durango AWD/4WD System

3 replies to this topic

#1 MIDRVR

MIDRVR
  • 3 posts

Posted July 15, 2013 at 10:48 pm

I am looking at purchasing a 2014 Durango with the Hemi V8 and the 8 speed AWD trans (two speed transfer case) to replace a 2001 Tahoe. I'm trying to get an understanding of how the Durango Low 4WD setting compares with my current Tahoe's Low 4WD system. In the Tahoe, in Low 4WD I have been told that all the wheels are locked (I get axle binding if I try to make a tight turn in Low 4WD, so it is a fairly basic system) so the torque is evenly split between all 4 wheels whereas I am being told that the Durango has a variable torque split capability in Low 4WD between the front and rear axles that does not lock up all 4 wheels but can lock the wheels on each axle and apportion torque between the axles within designed parameters. My understanding is that in the normal AWD setting, the Durango operates normally in RWD but automatically goes into AWD at a fixed 50:50 apportioned split between the rear and front axles when it detects slippage. The dealer sales personnel telling me all this about the Durango are not sure they are correct about this so that is why I'm asking in this forum. My reason for the question is that I have a 13-15% grade driveway that is 500 ft long. In winter (in northern Michigan) with winter tires, I have found that using my Tahoe in Low 4WD setting is the only reliable way to get up and down the drive; AWD crossovers like the GM Enclave/Traverse, Acura MDX, Honda Pilot and Ford Explorer have had issues getting up the driveway. I need space for up to 7 people so that is the reason why I have not looked at the Grand Cherokee with Quadra Trak. I would appreciate any additional information about the Durango two speed transfer case system and how it mechanically operates versus a conventional (old style) 4WD system.

#2 MoparNorm

MoparNorm

Active Jeeper

• Supporters III
  • 24,264 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted July 16, 2013 at 08:31 am

All I could find was:

Traction:

4x4 on-demand (full time active all-wheel drive, variable torque split) 2.72/1 transfer case MP 3022

It appears to be a very excellent vehicle, in both features and quality.
If the system is anything similar to Jeep's version, the AWD system operates seamlessly, combining variable torque to the axle which needs traction and the ABS/Traction control prevents wheel spin and sends power to the wheel under load.
I would not envision any difficulties negotiating your driveway and it is a far superior system to the one found in the Tahoe.
Good luck with your purchase!

Found a little more technical info. The MP3022 case was developed in 2008, to replace the NV242 ( my personal favorite) if it operates half as well as the 242, it's a great case.

Transfer Case: MP 3022 SELEC-Trac IIĀ®
Availability Optional all 4WD models
Type Full-time active, electronic shift
Operating Ranges 2WD, 4WD Auto, 4WD Low, Neutral
Torque Split, F/R 42/58
Low Range Ratio 2.72:1

Edited by MoparNorm, July 16, 2013 at 08:42 am.

#3 MIDRVR

MIDRVR
  • 3 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 at 09:53 am

Thank you MoparNorm, I appreciate your insight and the information about the drive system.

#4 MoparNorm

MoparNorm

Active Jeeper

• Supporters III
  • 24,264 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted July 19, 2013 at 01:46 pm

You're welcome!
While my preference is the 242, since it's obsolete, I'd have no issues running the 3022

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.