Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

reset radio code

10 replies to this topic

#1 jurkka

jurkka
  • 45 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 at 02:17 pm

I want to install a chrysler radio to my 91 lebaron. this cassette-radio is circa late 90s I quess.

it has a sticker that says: date code 2198, supplier 2677, S/N T B AA 219 8 58746, no it does NOT have the 3-letter letters telling who had made it. only a pentastar...

i got it plugged with original harness, fits with similar grey and black plugs no problem. when i put power on it asks for CODE?

main question is; can this be found somehow or reset any way?

Is there anything to be done, do i need a aftermarket radio instead? I tried search several times but no other instructions than getting the all odd and even fm-stations with set-sel-1-1-1-1-1...

i just bought the old cassette player from swap cause i dig cassettes, not cds...dont ask. 

thanks for answers!

Edited by jurkka, July 21, 2013 at 02:31 pm.

#2 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 12,244 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted July 21, 2013 at 04:33 pm

The anti-theft will need the 4-digit code to resume normal operation. The code number would be supplied with the car on a card when purchased new. Did you purchase it from the original owner and can they help you?

With a 2198 Julian date, it would likely be a 1999 radio.

The following manual covers the theft code on page 10: http://oskin.ru/pub/...okee/EZG_8F.PDF

There is a company that can supply this code for a fee. I imagine that they first have to clear that it isn't stolen. I have never done business with them and can't vouch for their integrity. Alpine probably made the tape deck:  http://www.radiocode...php?ALPINE&MK=2

You can select the 9 or 10 kHz and 1 or 2 mHz steps for export (EU) or domestic (NA) use on these radios with some button pushes.

Best of luck to you.

#3 jurkka

jurkka
  • 45 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 at 02:03 pm

thanks!!! i read the russian(oskin.ru) links jeep manual -- so there MIGHT be a code on sticker on the radio.

the radio i got should NOT be stolen- but one can never be sure at a swap meet item. i suppose its from a totaled car. but no, I dont know who to ask.

jeep manual in your link stated:

ANTITHEFT SECURITY CODE

Certain export models equipped with the RBL

sales code radio have a radio antitheft security code

feature. This feature requires that a security code be

entered into the radio following a battery disconnect

in order for the radio to become operational. When

the radio is new, a label identifying the four-digit

security code is affixed to the radio faceplate. It is

recommended that the vehicle owner note this security

code in his vehicle owner’s manual for future reference,

then remove and destroy the security code

label.

Edited by jurkka, July 22, 2013 at 02:07 pm.

#4 jurkka

jurkka
  • 45 posts

Posted July 27, 2013 at 04:04 pm

its been sitting there for one week with car battery connected, flashing red "anti-theft" light.

now i put acc-power on; still it says "WAIT 2 hr"!

do i need to drive the car for 2 hours in ROW to get radio asking the code again?!

i couldnt try the new code i got from ecoustics.com...

#5 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • 12,244 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted July 27, 2013 at 04:54 pm

It is strange that the 'wait 2 hrs' came up right away. It usually only says that after a flubbed security code entry. Are all the pushbuttons released and not sticking 'on' at all?

You can try to connect a battery charger to the car and leave the ign switch in the 'run' position for 2 hrs while you go and do something else and then come back and try it.

Are you sure that you have both the battery 12 volt and the ignition/accessory 12 volt powers and a good ground at the radio? A ground wire or strap should run from the rear of the radio to a good body ground. You can't always rely on the antenna plug shell and socket as a good ground.

See terminals C1-6 and C1-7 in the gray connector for 12 volts (+) here: radio_systemdiag3.jpg

From the manual:

The ignition switch and the radio power but- 

ton must remain in their On positions for two full 

and uninterrupted hours, before the word “code” will 

reappear in the radio display and the radio will 

again accept a security code entry. 

#6 jurkka

jurkka
  • 45 posts

Posted August 2, 2013 at 04:35 am

well- it came up after i tried for 1111...

but NOW IT WORKS!

i  let the radio sit wit keys in ACC position for 2hrs- entered the code that i got from ecoustics.com,( it was 3111)

yippee. i got stereos where to play old cassettes works like dream and sounds cool

found out also why i cant just plug-in new speakers; lebaron has EMIT-electronically ampflified speakers.. interesting. where to buy such???

#7 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • 12,244 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 2, 2013 at 05:05 am

http://www.allpar.co...ker-repair.html

http://www.allpar.co...ity-Amplifiers/

You could try an impedance-matching transformer to feed the EMIT?

http://en.wikipedia....tic_loudspeaker

#8 jurkka

jurkka
  • 45 posts

Posted September 11, 2013 at 03:20 am

same radio ... using it is kind of mystic. the chrysler-logic in buttons isnt completely clear for me, like difference with preset stations, memo-button and scan button, that each effect the set stations in quick buttons 1-6.

wondering if there is user manual for the radios somewhere- or do i need to buy a owners manual from 1998-1999, that is the radios manufacturing time...

thanks

Edited by jurkka, September 11, 2013 at 03:22 am.

#9 BlackSheep01

BlackSheep01
  • 628 posts

Posted September 16, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Might try asking a specific question of Oklahoma Wolf.

Meanwhile ... do you know anybody with a '98 or '99 vehicle with radio and manuals you could ask to look at?

#10 jurkka

jurkka
  • 45 posts

Posted September 16, 2013 at 01:20 pm

nope, i live in Finland, europe...

#11 peterjon1

peterjon1
  • 821 posts

Posted September 18, 2013 at 09:52 am

Does this radio have a separate set button? If so, use the tuner to select a station for preset. Press the set button once, then press the preset button you want to use. It is very likely that the same preset button can be used for two stations. To do this, select another station, press the set button twice, then the preset button. In other words, the preset 1 button would be stations 1 and 7, if you have 6 buttons.You would press button 1 once for station 1, and twice for station 2(preset 7.) The seek button will advance to the next station with a broadcast signal strong enough to be read, and stop there. The scan button does the same thing, but will proceed automatically to the next station in a few seconds. The seek and scan buttons may also work to skip tracks on the cassette.

For the preset, you should be able to set 12 presets in FM, and 12 in AM.

OklahomaWolf is the resident expert on sound systems. Send him a PM with questions.

There is a listing in the black bar at the top of the page for "components." Hovering over that will open "stereos." You may find something useful there.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated car-related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2014 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.