cars

allpar, the Chrysler - Dodge - Jeep car and truck site

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

"Truthiness" About Cars hit piece on Cherokee

74 replies to this topic

#1 billfrombuckhead

billfrombuckhead
  • 187 posts

Posted September 12, 2013 at 11:24 am

This is the only bad review of the Cherokee I seen so far

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/09/capsule-review-2014-jeep-cherokee/#comment-2158497

#2 PCRMike

PCRMike
  • 990 posts

Posted September 12, 2013 at 11:42 am

The writer was obviously not a fan of CUVs in general, and had harsh words for all the other ones too.

#3 JKU12

JKU12
  • 637 posts

Posted September 12, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Interesting that he basically trashed the "car" part of the Cherokee, and praised it's off-roadiness when compared with others.

Let's hope they figure out the 9-speed. That is not a Cherokee thing, but something bigger.

#4 XRT2SRT

XRT2SRT
  • 233 posts

Posted September 12, 2013 at 12:32 pm

I think from reading this article that he went above and beyond to harp on things he himself was so courteous to point out, echoing key information given by Chrysler describing the vehicle as pre-production as if he was pissed at them for delaying the press release session. If you're gonna continue to spotlight these obvious areas of poor quality then you should be equally unbiased by following such statements with the given disclaimer of the OEM. Maybe someone needs to point his eyes in the direction of the other test drives for comparisons. I have no love for the kind of journalism displayed.

#5 GasAxe

GasAxe
  • 1,373 posts

Posted September 12, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Bah. The guy thinks all SUV's were body on frame. If a "automotive journalist" can't be bothered to know the XJ was unit body starting back in 19-friggen-84, then he's moose excrement.

#6 valiant67

valiant67

Rich, Corinthian Leather

• Supporters III
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 22,470 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 12, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Way too many automotive reviewers seem to have gotten advice on performing reviews from the same group Homer Simpson did when he was a food critic. The other critics criticized Homer for giving positive reviews.  Automotive reviewers and movie critics seem to be the grumpiest people alive.

#7 bumonbox

bumonbox

Say no to kool-aid

• Supporters
  • 3,434 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 12, 2013 at 01:16 pm

Yeah, I honestly don't see unreasonable annoyance here (before someone jumps in with a comment about Chrysler loyalists always accusing critics of bias).

His critique of appearance was fine.  But he spent 75% percent of the review bashing the poor items used in a pre-pod model.  Not an accurate depiction of the final model.  Now, I would give him a pass for complaining about the transmission.  Although if it's that bad, it's the first I read of it, and more over, it would be something they are likely to correct.  

Ironically, he loved the offroad experience.  (You'd swear he was describing a prior Jeep looking at it.  Bad interior / on road experience, but loved the off road).   Nah - I think this vehicle will prove to be liked for the on road experience.  

#8 Dave

Dave

It's me, Dave

• Supporters
  • Others:Superfriend
  • 20,646 posts

Posted September 12, 2013 at 01:49 pm

Maybe Chrysler will think twice about giving them access to the most important events in future... or am I just sour because we were not included?

#9 CarsandGuitars

CarsandGuitars
  • 464 posts

Posted September 12, 2013 at 02:05 pm

TTAC's reviews all read like whining from spoiled rotten kids that grew up with Lambo posters on the wall and dad putting on his driving gloves for a jaunt in his BMW or Porsche. They are pretty much the epitome of nothing is ever good enough cork sniffers mixed with phony wannabe "enthusiasts".

Both TTAC and Jalopnik seem to be defined by a writing style that's a product of a generation weened on South Park and Top Gear, beat over the head with premium marketing and then couched in a a smug self centered sense of entiltement.

• Curtis Redgap likes this

#10 UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL
  • 5,156 posts

Posted September 12, 2013 at 02:14 pm

And yet others found the 9-speed smooth.

Nobody else saw these "quality" issues either.

Otherwise good review I guess

#11 Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi
  • Supporters III
  • 5,805 posts

Posted September 12, 2013 at 04:08 pm

Hopefully Chrysler will think twice about giving them access to the most important events in future... or am I just sour because we were not included?

I think that is a major blunder on the part of Chrysler.  They paid airfare , meals and accommodations for this very important launch and didn't include the administrator of the largest and most important Chrysler website out there?

Dave, you should be royally pissed!

The writer compared the ride and behavior to other CUVs.  These are not the same vehicles driven months ago.  This event was just held and this is one of the first reviews from it.

I hope the 9-speed was not cheapened too much from its ZF cousin.

#12 Jeepnut

Jeepnut
  • Supporters III
  • 2,811 posts

Posted September 12, 2013 at 04:16 pm

Hey Dave why was Allpar left out??

#13 link3721

link3721
  • 228 posts

Posted September 12, 2013 at 08:45 pm

TTAC's reviews all read like whining from spoiled rotten kids that grew up with Lambo posters on the wall and dad putting on his driving gloves for a jaunt in his BMW or Porsche. They are pretty much the epitome of nothing is ever good enough cork sniffers mixed with phony wannabe "enthusiasts".
Both TTAC and Jalopnik seem to be defined by a writing style that's a product of a generation weened on South Park and Top Gear, beat over the head with premium marketing and then couched in a a smug self centered sense of entiltement.

I haven't read TTACs Cherokee article yet, but I feel they tend to be pretty fair. They've had great reviews of the minivans and like the 500 as well. Could also be the particular journalist as well.

Edited by link3721, September 12, 2013 at 08:45 pm.

#14 Mr.Source

Mr.Source
  • Supporters III
  • 2,416 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 12, 2013 at 09:08 pm

Quality is the name of the game. weall know those were pre production vehicles, BUT we need more quality

Edited by Mr.Source, September 12, 2013 at 09:23 pm.

#15 CarsandGuitars

CarsandGuitars
  • 464 posts

Posted September 12, 2013 at 09:32 pm

I haven't read TTACs Cherokee article yet, but I feel they tend to be pretty fair. They've had great reviews of the minivans and like the 500 as well. Could also be the particular journalist as well.

Read this writer's recent nit picky Lincoln review. There was also a recent Avenger piece with a different writer that basically caused a revolt in the comment section.
The minivan reviews are basically an example of what that author calls the wobble. They are meant to be surprisingly positive and are intended to, I think, make the author seem like a regular Joe.

#16 Moparian

Moparian
  • 1,719 posts

Posted September 12, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Hopefully Chrysler will think twice about giving them access to the most important events in future... or am I just sour because we were not included?

Its Norm's fault  :thumbsup:

#17 MoparNorm

MoparNorm

Active Jeeper

• Supporters III
  • 24,387 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 13, 2013 at 12:28 am

Its Norm's fault 

Actually, I would have saved them money because I wouldn't need air fare, or lodging.
I was with Scott Brown, just weeks earlier, Im going to ask him why we weren't included.

#18 RVC

RVC
  • Supporters III
  • 2,771 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 at 02:51 am

These are not the same vehicles driven months ago. This event was just held and this is one of the first reviews from it.

I hope the 9-speed was not cheapened too much from its ZF cousin.

The Fast Lane had a review online yesterday, it was one of the YouTube links. They lauded the 9hp, super smooth etc etc.
My explanation is simpler: the ttac guy is an idiot.

On the other hand, I find it preposterous that a meaningless site like ttac gets invited, while an institution like Allpar gets the cold shoulder. Simply unbelievable...

#19 LXbuilder

LXbuilder
  • Supporters (L2)
  • 956 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 at 03:42 am

Quality is the name of the game. weall know those were pre production vehicles, BUT we need more quality

Mr Source and I hardly ever agree on anything here, but I can't argue with him on this. That steering wheel stitch IS unacceptable even for pre production. (it is a steering wheel, hardly a new technology or something) And given the delay of the press launch one would hope the transmission software would be dialed in by now.
The reviewer may be a jerk (not sure if I've read much of his or not) but a great vehicle wouldn't give him anything to complain about.

#20 Moparian

Moparian
  • 1,719 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 at 07:02 am

Actually, I would have saved them money because I wouldn't need air fare, or lodging.
I was with Scott Brown, just weeks earlier, Im going to ask him why we weren't included.

I was kidding(in case that wasn't obvious :) )

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.