cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

Differences in cab itself, '82 vs '86 Dodge D-series

5 replies to this topic

#1 TWX

TWX

DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!

• Supporters
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 8,871 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 1, 2013 at 08:45 am

Hey all,

My '82 D350 crew cab's cab is beat to hell and gone, and I stumbled across one for sale from an '86 that has had all its bodywork and paint completed and is disassembled down to its welded sheet metal stamping, with the rear doors included.  It was even painted the color that I want to paint mine, and since none of the rest of my sheet metal is painted yet, painting my parts to match this cab seems practical.

Anyway, what I'm not certain of is if there are any differences that will need to be accounted for.  I wouldn't expect so, but Dodge did change rear windows and the opening sizes a few times in the years they built this basic design.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

#2 mopar56

mopar56
  • 383 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 1, 2013 at 09:31 am

well I have bought a bunch of parts new and used to restore my sons 1980 and my 1956 ( using a 1983 frame) and although they are reg cabs all the parts info says up to 1993 is the same as far as cab to frame stuff goes other than that just sheet metal and as you say window openings, we had donor doors to repair our 1980 from a 1977 the sheet metal was the same and therefor could use the bottom of the doors but we didnt use the whole door because of glass differences this is one of the reasons I love Dodge so much there interchangeability is awesome!...well at least on the old stuff, the basic body lines changed after 1980 and stayed pretty muck the same until the body changed in 1994

#3 TWX

TWX

DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!

• Supporters
  • 8,871 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 1, 2013 at 10:15 am

Yeah, I'm actually putting '80- doors and fenders on, and the '79/'80 grille with quad headlights and the radiator core support and lower valence.  Still have to get the doors and fenders themselves, but already have the grille etc.

#4 BlackSheep01

BlackSheep01
  • 627 posts

Posted October 1, 2013 at 06:57 pm

makes me think how much a Palamino-style truck that size would rock...

#5 mopar56

mopar56
  • 383 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 1, 2013 at 08:33 pm

sounds like a cool build, is this a work truck or toy?

#6 TWX

TWX

DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!

• Supporters
  • 8,871 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 1, 2013 at 11:03 pm

Well, it'll probably straddle the line.  I don't drive a personal vehicle for work, though I believe that trucks should, regardless of how pretty, still be capable of being trucks.  It'll be the tow rig basically, though I intend it to be pretty enough to put into shows.

If my beater '95 Nissan Hardbody ever dies or gets replaced by a minivan then it'd also be the "haul dirty stuff" vehicle, though with the bed deck height off of the ground, that's not exactly the most attractive prospect.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.