cars

allpar, the Chrysler - Dodge - Jeep car and truck site

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

AN: Return of the Scat Pack?

30 replies to this topic

#1 Allpar News System

Allpar News System
  • Newsfeed
  • 1,194 posts

Posted October 3, 2013 at 01:15 pm

http://www.allpar.co...-pack/scat-pack
Automotive News reported that Chrysler has renewed its trade mark on the name “Scat Pack,” used from 1968-1971 as a marketing tool for muscle cars (Charger R/T, Dart GTS, Super Bee, and Challenger). In return for a small membership fee, people could join the human version of the Scat Pack and get stickers, patches, and a newsletter. Automotive News asked Dodge’s Tim Kuniskis about it; the Dodge CEO did not confirm or deny the plan, and said that “We love the whole idea of having a Scat Pack of cars.” Plymouth had a similar setup, called the Rapid Transit System. Chrysler routinely refiles trademark claims for classic car names, including a variety of Plymouths, to avoid losing them to other manufacturers (as it lost Duster in most of the world); the company can continue to use the names in trade by licensing them to model and collectible-item makers.

View the original, full post

#2 MoparNorm

MoparNorm

Active Jeeper

• Supporters III
  • 24,188 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 3, 2013 at 01:28 pm

So, real...or just a new Hot Wheels coming out?

#3 BismrkBear

BismrkBear
  • 44 posts

Posted October 3, 2013 at 04:19 pm

So, real...or just a new Hot Wheels coming out?

I haven't heard of any new Hot Wheels coming out that would fit that bill.  However I though I heard the Dart Rally might come out.  Who knows if that will happen however.  As far as I am concerned, the more Mopar Hot Wheels the merrier.  Here are some classic Custom Charger redlines to illustrate thatChargers.jpg

#4 MoparJoe

MoparJoe
  • 1,173 posts

Posted October 3, 2013 at 08:22 pm

I posted this from a link from Ontario street cars .... Months ago, why the repost, because it's now news ??

#5 JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX
  • 654 posts

Posted October 3, 2013 at 08:24 pm

Wow ...

A Newsletter. 

#6 LXbuilder

LXbuilder
  • Supporters (L2)
  • 951 posts

Posted October 3, 2013 at 08:50 pm

If Chrysler wants to appeal to the younger crowd they may what to skip this idea. It would seem that in today's "hip" urban language the word scat has a very different meaning. Be forewarned if you're thinking of goggling the word.
(I might even change my avatar now)

Edited by LXbuilder, October 3, 2013 at 08:51 pm.

#7 jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe

Plymouth Makes It

• Supporters
  • 4,773 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 3, 2013 at 09:01 pm

Lets hope its an affordable package and not just another $5K wheel sticker option.

#8 MoparNorm

MoparNorm

Active Jeeper

• Supporters III
  • 24,188 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 3, 2013 at 11:09 pm

If Chrysler wants to appeal to the younger crowd they may what to skip this idea. It would seem that in today's "hip" urban language the word scat has a very different meaning. Be forewarned if you're thinking of goggling the word.
(I might even change my avatar now)

I don't know how hip or new that is, trackers and hunters have been studying scat for centuries...so, scat has had a different connotation for about 8,000 years. ;)

#9 LXbuilder

LXbuilder
  • Supporters (L2)
  • 951 posts

Posted October 4, 2013 at 03:38 am

I don't know how hip or new that is, trackers and hunters have been studying scat for centuries...so, scat has had a different connotation for about 8,000 years. ;)

While this is very true, the Urban dictionary takes the whole thing to a somewhat more bizarre and sickening place. Comments in some auto sites have sduggested that maybe Dodge should reconsider any plan to use the word.

#10 mopartodd

mopartodd
  • 44 posts

Posted October 4, 2013 at 07:09 am

Why do we keep reviving these old themes?  :yawn:

#11 MoparNorm

MoparNorm

Active Jeeper

• Supporters III
  • 24,188 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 4, 2013 at 07:55 am

While this is very true, the Urban dictionary takes the whole thing to a somewhat more bizarre and sickening place. Comments in some auto sites have sduggested that maybe Dodge should reconsider any plan to use the word.

Yuck! Wonder if Scat singing knew about that!

#12 Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster

Vaguely badass...

• Supermen
  • Others:Supporters
  • 19,601 posts

Posted October 4, 2013 at 08:18 am

Multiple definitions of a word should not preclude a company from making use of a trademark they hold.

Scat - verb, To go away hastily; leave at once.

Pretty sure that's the definition they've always intended for this, not animal dung or a prehistoric fish or heroin or whiskey or jazz singing.

#13 LeeRyder

LeeRyder
  • 359 posts

Posted October 4, 2013 at 09:43 am

As MoPar people, we may have an affinity for the Scat Pack. But the truth is, I think it may be a mistake to bring the name back. "Scat" has an entirely different meaning in todays lingo... and it ain't flattering.

#14 Mike V.

Mike V.

• 9,650 posts

Posted October 4, 2013 at 09:48 am

I don't quite get what they are going to accomplish. With the SRT vehicles being their own brand, the Charger R/T and Challenger R/T are not top of the line performance cars.

What are they trying to represent?

Mike

#15 LeeRyder

LeeRyder
  • 359 posts

Posted October 4, 2013 at 11:37 am

to increase revenues by making SRT a premium brand. The massive price increases of the Viper and JGC, most obvious. When the new 300/Charger/Challenger debut.. it's all but certain the SRT's of the triplets will also feature such nauseating price increases.
Hence why there will be no Dart SRT. There is no way they can increase the price on it enough to justify it's compact performance and SRT-esque premium status.

Edited by LeeRyder, October 4, 2013 at 11:39 am.

#16 Charger Red

Charger Red
  • 860 posts

Posted October 4, 2013 at 12:09 pm

I don't quite get what they are going to accomplish. With the SRT vehicles being their own brand, the Charger R/T and Challenger R/T are not top of the line performance cars.

What are they trying to represent?

Mike

Good point. Superbee (a former Scat Pack member) is currently SRT.  The current Dart won't scat unless it becomes one. Would the modern Scat Pack be for SRT vehicles or would it be a cross-divisional "packaging."

I'm going to put on my rose colored glasses and predict that Superbee is moving to Dodge and the Dart GT grows a pair.

#17 Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster

Vaguely badass...

• Supermen
  • Others:Supporters
  • 19,601 posts

Posted October 4, 2013 at 12:11 pm

It's Dodge's 100-Year Anniversary. I would venture that this is simply for a limited run of special cars and may just come down to a "decal & options" package with little to no performance enhancements over what's already out and available.

#18 Charger Red

Charger Red
  • 860 posts

Posted October 4, 2013 at 12:23 pm

I'm hoping that if this comes to fruition, that they do so in a more substantive, longer term manner. They would (should) be leveraging this as part of the "Dodge is not dead, it's here to stay rebranding campaign.

#19 Dave

Dave

It's me, Dave

• Supporters
  • Others:Superfriend
  • 20,634 posts

Posted October 4, 2013 at 01:00 pm

I suspect it's just to prevent someone else from using it.

#20 dusterchalganger

dusterchalganger
  • 84 posts

Posted October 4, 2013 at 01:27 pm

Good afternoon. Perhaps it is a package for 2015 Challenger hellcat ? Mopar always

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.