cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

A-518 Trans (mopar Perf P/n 5249166)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Vanatic

Vanatic
  • 16 posts

Posted June 12, 2003 at 09:08 am

Hi! I am replacing the drivetrain in a 1976 Dodge B-200 van with a crate 300HP/360 c.i. & would like to replace the original A-727 trans with a new A-518 4-speed auto. The question is this; What is required in setting this transmission up with a non-computerized vehicle? According to the information I have on the A-518, it uses a non-lock-up converter. I thought this would not require any external control, however I have conflicting stories on whether or not it really does. Can anyone shed any light on what this trans requires for proper installation? Any good sources for this information? Sorry, but I am an old school dog trying to learn new school tricks! Computer control in vehicles is a little new to me in terms of hot rodding. Thanks!

Vanatic

#2 dana44

dana44
  • 16,625 posts

Posted June 13, 2003 at 01:04 pm

Mopar performance had a full set of articles on the topic, putting a 518 behind a 440 a couple years back. Look for any articles on their site moparperformancemagazine.com and see if the name of the company was listed (guaranteed) that may be able to help you out with switches and sensors. I seem to recall they had a switch that would kick the overdrive off and a switch to manually engage disengage from the driving position. You may need to modify the rear crossmember and floor of the van to clear the overdrive unit, not positive of the clearance, but be aware of the possibility. Keep us informed of your mods required for your application.

#3 Keith_Indy

Keith_Indy
  • Inactive
  • 54 posts

Posted June 13, 2003 at 01:20 pm

Couldn't find anything for mopar performance magazine...

Did find this article with an unfavorable mention of the 518

http://www.rodandcus...2558/index.html

http://www.carcraft....987/index1.html

http://www.moparacti.../OVERDRIVE.html

#4 Vanatic

Vanatic
  • 16 posts

Posted June 13, 2003 at 01:21 pm

Thanks for the tip. I subscribe to Mopar Muscle, but will have to have a look at Mopar Performance as well. Once I get into the project (next fall/winter) I will surely share my experience with fellow Mopar enthusiasts.

#5 Vanatic

Vanatic
  • 16 posts

Posted June 13, 2003 at 02:29 pm

Kieth: Just read your post. Thanks for the links. I read all three articles. The first seemed geared mostly toward GM OD units, but you are correct about the negative remark on the A-518. My thoughts are that these are basically the same trans as used in the current Dodge trucks, so I can't imagine them being too weak. The other two articles definitely have some helpful information. Again, thanks. I will be exploring every avenue I can find before I dive in. I like to have things about 90% figured out before I start wrenching, if possible!

#6 Keith_Indy

Keith_Indy
  • Inactive
  • 54 posts

Posted June 13, 2003 at 03:10 pm

Same here...

One of my magazines at home has an article on MOPAR transmissions, can't remember which one off the top of my head. Think it was Hot Rod or Car Craft. I'll try to look it up and post sometime over the weekend.

And I don't think they were really commenting on the strength or weakness of the trans in that one article, just its suitability to using in a swap.

#7 Keith_Indy

Keith_Indy
  • Inactive
  • 54 posts

Posted June 13, 2003 at 03:15 pm

More info...

http://www.hotrod.co...3323/index.html

First introduced for the Dakota trucks in 1988, the A500 and A518 automatic overdrive transmissions are based on Chrysler’s 904 and 727 Torqueflites, respectively. Either transmission can be found in the Mopar Performance catalog, (part No. P5249165 for the A500 and P5249166 for the A518), and the gear ratios are identical to the older trannies, with the exception of the overdrive. However, the catalog listing included the ominous warning, “requires major modifications on A-B-C-E body.” After a quick call to Art Carr Transmissions in Fountain Valley, California, to confirm that he would help us perform the “major modifications,” we had Mopar Performance ship one out.

As mentioned before, either tranny is available, but because it would be dealing with a 400-plus-hp 440, we went with the beefier A518 and sent it directly to JVX, Inc., in Memphis, Tennessee. An adapter kit from JVX allows these new overdrive transmissions to bolt directly to Mopar B/RB engines. Besides supplying the adapter kit, JVX’s John Vinson went through the A518 to give it “crisper” shifts and increased durability (see the accompanying sidebar, “JVX For the GTX”).

#8 dana44

dana44
  • 16,625 posts

Posted June 13, 2003 at 04:16 pm

Kieth Indy, I think it was Hotrod about 4 months ago. It did point out the weaknesses and strengths of the trans and what was done to fix them, along with the fact that the truck 10 clutch overdrive was the best. The weakness was something about fluild holes being a little bit on the small side, which this company drilled out to fix the problem. The trans going behind a big block does require an adapter and cutting the case for the starter, but this application is for a small block, so doesn't really apply. There was a company in the mid-west that was identified as having a setup for the required switches, etc., to make it work in the A-B-C bodies, but like I said, the van may be different for clearance, and the rear cross member did need altering in the cars, which is half the problem. I think someone has a cross member to use these days.

#9 edjuski (converted)

edjuski (converted)
  • Guests

Posted July 11, 2003 at 03:48 pm

I installed a 93 A-518 in my 73 charger. Had to modify the hump and trans mount and shorten the drive shaft. Mine has a lockup also. all I needed to do was provide 12v+ for overdrive engagement and 12v+ for lockup engagement. The trans had 2 solinoids connections on the case. 2 switches and 2 relays was all I needed.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.