cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

- - - - -

1999 GC code city - P0731, P0733, P0734, P0700. Advice?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 (converted)

(converted)
  • Guests

Posted July 29, 2002 at 04:21 pm

Aaaaargh! Transmission is playing up, won't go above 2nd gear. My obd-2 scanner picks up these codes:

Current: P0731, P0733, P0734
Pending: P0700

What is the verdict? Any hope, or get ready for a $2000 repair. By the way, Grand Caravan is 1999 with 47K miles. Transmission flushed at 30,000. Check Engine light is stuck on.

Keith.

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted July 30, 2002 at 12:38 am

I familiar with the later model codes, and I am sure someone else can help. Have you checked the basics - like is the fluid level where it is supposed to be. You might do another flush and make sure the Mopar ATF +3 or +4 is put in with a filter change.

#3 (converted)

(converted)
  • Guests

Posted July 30, 2002 at 02:02 pm

Did a complete flush with ATF+3 by disconnecting the cooler hose and replacing the fluid as the engine runs with transmission in Park. Pushed about 12 quarts through there. [removed the black box between throttle body and airbox, made access to the top of the transmission where the hoses are really easy] Then disconnected the battery and tried to do a transmission retrain, but the Check Engine light came on and stuck in 2nd gear again.

Bit the bullet and went to the dealer this morning. Both speed sensors are getting replaced and the van should be ready by tonight. I really hope this is the real fix and not a fishing expedition.

This is the first time I did the transmission flush myself, it really is quite easy.

Keith.

#4 Aaron in KC

Aaron in KC
  • 43 posts

Posted November 9, 2002 at 08:31 pm

99 Town & County LXi 3.8l, 66,610miles

Just wanted to report I was getting a Service Engine Soon light. And the tranny was in "Limp-mode" Wouldn't get out of second or rev over 3,000rpm in gear. Jerked bad shifting between R and D. Also had a tough time shifting to second, at a steady 35mph, then when it did, the van jerked.

Went to Autozone and they were able to pull these codes (for free I might add!) :)
P0700: Transmission Control System Malfunction
P0731: Gear ratio 1 is incorrect
P0733: Gear ratio 3 is incorrect

As the mph guage was not doing anything odd (one post here said displayed mph comes from the Output Vehicle Speed Sensor,) thus if that was displaying correctly, I was going to assume it was functioning properly.

Went to dealership and got the Input P04800878 VSS, and Output VSS P04800879 (just to be on the safe side, incase the Input VSS didn't solve the problem.)

I swapped out the Input VSS (1" socket on a 6" extension,) disconnected the battery for a few minutes, reconnected battery, and took her for a drive.

Result: No more wierdness, shifts great, revs over 3,000, no more jerking.

Total Cost: 23.35+1.70tax and one lost 8mm 1/4"-drive socket(I think I left it under the hood when I went for testdrive.)

Edited by Aaron in KC, November 9, 2002 at 09:20 pm.

#5 A. Murphy

A. Murphy
  • 2,786 posts

Posted November 9, 2002 at 09:56 pm

QUOTE ( @ Jul 29 2002, 01:21 PM)
Aaaaargh! Transmission is playing up, won't go above 2nd gear. My obd-2 scanner picks up these codes:

Current: P0731, P0733, P0734<BR>Pending: P0700

What is the verdict? Any hope, or get ready for a $2000 repair. By the way, Grand Caravan is 1999 with 47K miles. Transmission flushed at 30,000. Check Engine light is stuck on.

Keith.[/quote]
P0731, P0733, P0734 are all gear ratio codes.
So essentially your A/T is slipping in 1st, 3rd and OD or the input and/or output speed sensors are faulty.
I'd look at replacing the sensors first.

#6 rajesh (converted)

rajesh (converted)
  • Guests

Posted November 25, 2002 at 04:22 pm

I have a similar problem right now. 91 DC 3.3L auto trans.
It goes to limp mode after couple of miles. if the ignition is turned off and on it shifts well for a while and then goes back to 2nd gear.
it started happening in this winter temps. it has new filter with ATF +3( 3 months old).

I'm taking it to a mechanic tomorrow for a check up. any inputs from you?
Another mechanic said that it could be becuase of a bad sensors. speedometers works fine.

Is that some thing I can do with regular tools. where is the input sensor.
Thanks!

#7 A. Murphy

A. Murphy
  • 2,786 posts

Posted November 25, 2002 at 05:30 pm

Assuming yours is a 4sp AT and if I'm not mistaken the (vehicle) speed sensor on ur van is on the left hand side of the axle support from the back of the AT.

The A/T input and output gear speed sensors ar to the front of the AT. One up between the cooler lines and the other is at the same height but towards the left end of the box.The are easy to change, take the air intake stuff out of the way.

Check your thermostat and eng temp sensors also. What key codes do you have if any?.

The 2 sensors lower down are the PRNDL sensors.

#8 rajesh (converted)

rajesh (converted)
  • Guests

Posted November 25, 2002 at 05:58 pm

Thanks AM, there are no error codes displayed. just 55.
Another thing I noticed is coolant is leaking form the radiator. I have to take care of that too even though temp gauge does not go beyond half mark.

what are the follwing sensors? how does it affect?

Check your thermostat and eng temp sensors also. What key codes do you have if any?.

The 2 sensors lower down are the PRNDL sensors.

#9 A. Murphy

A. Murphy
  • 2,786 posts

Posted November 25, 2002 at 07:54 pm

Sorry, the thermostat is on top of the eingine where the top rad holse exits the engine.
The gauge sender and Engine Controller temp sensor may be seperate items. The Engine temp sensor ur looking for is under the coil, right next to the thermostat. Look in your photos #10 & #44. The thermostat housing is in the foreground and the sensor hidden behind it.
the gauge sender sensor should be down to the front on the head somewhere to the pully end.

If your engine was not heating up or reported to me "not heating up" it would effect teh A/T functioonality.

The other speeed sensors are in the front side of the A/T
The PRNDL sensors are low down near the pan and to the front/left end.

#10 rajesh (converted)

rajesh (converted)
  • Guests

Posted November 26, 2002 at 05:06 am

Hi A. Murphy,
Yes, engine is NOT overheating(so far). you mentioned that it still affects the A/T functionality. I don't know how.
Anyway I'll look into other sensors that you have mentioned. Hopefully I can do something positive.
Thanks!

#11 A. Murphy

A. Murphy
  • 2,786 posts

Posted November 26, 2002 at 07:52 am

essentially if the engine controller detects a cold engine, it sends that information to the AT controller, which uses the info to change the various shift points, gear options available, TC Lockup, etc. it would do the same if it were too hot.

The AT speed sensors are easy to remove & replace, just a bit awkward to get at.

btw, this is a 4sp right or wrong?.

#12 rajesh (converted)

rajesh (converted)
  • Guests

Posted November 26, 2002 at 09:04 am

Yes, it is a 4 speed. Just now I came back from a mechanic. He tested the error codes with his computer. There were no error codes. He then went for test drive( along with me). after driving couple of miles he decided that the Tranny overdrive is shot and a standrad estimate of $2000(for rebuild) with 3 years or 36,000 miles warranty.
I want to take it to another mechanic though. initial 1-2 miles runs fine but if I slow down and try to go fast it goes and stuck in 2nd gear. there are some jerks in 4th gear( overdrive) too.

#13 A. Murphy

A. Murphy
  • 2,786 posts

Posted November 26, 2002 at 08:45 pm

Hmmm..... What's "shot" about it.

VArious tests can be completed to give you a feel for the degree of clutch pack ware, That is the CVI Test.

The AT has a couple of pressure ports that can be tested, to determine the various pressures at various placed within the AT.

Lets see, you did have some problems with this AT about 6 months ago, right?. if so, what were they then?.

#14 EXPAT IN MANILA

EXPAT IN MANILA
  • Inactive
  • 145 posts

Posted November 26, 2002 at 08:52 pm

WHATS Chryslers warranty for new vehicles now ? :(

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.