cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

- - - - -

Front Brake Drum

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 tbnplyndave (converted)

tbnplyndave (converted)
  • Guests

Posted August 21, 2003 at 02:18 pm

I have a 1974 Dodge Dart Sport - I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get info about what size drum came with the 74 dodge dart sport in the Front End - I have a big pull to one side and believe someone replaced the drum with a wrong size, and can not find the info. for the correct size to buy. Thanks, Dave

#2 dana44

dana44
  • 16,625 posts

Posted August 21, 2003 at 02:51 pm

Unless the backing plate was changed with it, it is hard to imagine it would be the wrong size, per se. Check the opposite side and see if there is a mismatch in appearance. From there, remove and measure side to side, and also measure by placing a flat edge or steel against the lip and measuring to the oil seal lip. There are slight differences with hubs, which may be causing a condition that may cause a pull. Also look at the rest of the front end components to ensure it is all in good shape.

#3 Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln

"CHECK FAULT CODES"

• Supporters (L2)
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 25,317 posts

Posted August 21, 2003 at 06:55 pm

Pulling to one side on braking only is caused by uneven adjustment, one drum out-of-round, or contamination of brake pads on one side.

Wouldn't hurt to check wheel alignment, also.

#4 tbnplyndave (converted)

tbnplyndave (converted)
  • Guests

Posted August 23, 2003 at 01:31 am

Thank you Dana, and Bob for the info - I'll give it a try tomorrow and see what I find. Might be the out of round thing, because as soon as I step on the brake at all the thing trys to pull right. Thanks again - I'll keep you posted. Gotta my baby back on the road again - its almost been 8 years. Smog exempt now -- woooohhooooooo.......

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.