cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

Hall Effect Sensor

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Chrysler88RCH

Chrysler88RCH
  • Inactive
  • 38 posts

Posted August 28, 2003 at 10:02 am

How do you test a Hall Effect Sensor ( pick up )
The Haynes Manual says its beyond the scope of a Home Mechanic.

I am sure somebody here has a few ideas ;)

Randy
1988 Chrysler Lebaron GTS 2.5L TBI EFI Auto A/C

#2 johnH

johnH
  • 660 posts

Posted August 28, 2003 at 03:15 pm

The Hall Effect sensor fails. This is cheap and easy to replace, but if you want to test it, Chriszw wrote that you can do this using a multimeter set to provide an audio continuity signal. Connect a 9V battery to the power and ground pins, the red test lead to the sensor signal pin, and the black test lead to the 9V battery negative terminal. Then slide a fat blade of iron, such as a feeler gauge, between the sensor and a magnet. The multimeter should stop sounding a tone, and the display should overrange. Chris suggested carrying a spare in the trunk since the sensor costs about $30 and tends to go bad. It really is a two minute job to replace it - it is in the distributor underneath the rotor. (Note: if you have DIS, or distributorless ignition, you do not have a Hall Effect sensor! All current Chrysler products have DIS, which was first used in 1991 on the Spirit R/T and was phased in on new engines and models afterwards).

From the COMMON REPAIRS section of this bulletin board. Sometimes before asking the question read the other parts of this site.

#3 Marcos

Marcos
  • 3,010 posts

Posted August 28, 2003 at 03:22 pm

It may cost a bit more, but I would go with one from a chrysler/dodge dealer. From my personal experience, they last longer than the ones from other auto parts places, like NAPA.

#4 Chrysler88RCH

Chrysler88RCH
  • Inactive
  • 38 posts

Posted August 28, 2003 at 07:34 pm

Upon examining the engine today I found oil leaking from the head gasket.
Which would explain alot of the problems I am having.

code 21 - coolant being burn through the exhaust
bucking - pressure not being able to build in the engine

randy

As far as the Hall Effect Sensor
I think its a moot point right now.
But thanx for the suggestions

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.