Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

How does Hall effect sensor go bad?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 cass

cass
  • 857 posts

Posted October 24, 2003 at 12:46 pm

Does anyone know about the actual cause of failure of the Hall effect sensor used in the distributors of the 2.2/2.5 engines? Does the sensor itself go bad (hard to imagine how it could break down internally as it's a solid-state device)? Or is it more common for the wires to break down where they exit the distributor? Seems to be poor design, meaning that the wires coming out of the distributor are allowed to flop around in front of the engine. I made clips etc. and used tie wraps to secure all the loose wiring in the engine compartment of my Spirit, including the wires coming out of the distributor. I was hoping that this would prevent any problems with the Hall effect sensor. Any comments would be welcome.

#2 Bill R

Bill R
  • Inactive
  • 1,728 posts

Posted October 25, 2003 at 12:05 am

Usually fail when warm - must be a break in a wire in the pickup head. When it cools the car usally starts and will run a short while until it heats up again.

#3 FeMaster

FeMaster
  • 98 posts

Posted October 25, 2003 at 07:30 am

I'm assuming that when they die it is because of a wire. The one (and only, thankfully) that I had go bad on me was because of a broken wire. You couldn't tell, because it was broke inside the insulation, but if I were to move the wires around while someone cranked the engine over, it would fire up when the wire was in a certain location. As soon as I let it go, the car died again.

Poor design? I'd have to agree with you. They should have had some sort of support or stress relief on the wire where it come out of the sensor. But then again, they would never be able to make money off replacements that way :P

#4 rocky2

rocky2
  • Inactive
  • Others:Invalid E-mail - contact admin
  • 506 posts

Posted October 25, 2003 at 09:38 am

Maybe there a magnetic forse on the star that gets weak that sends a signal then fails to cross the air gap.

#5 dodgemjohn

dodgemjohn
  • Inactive
  • 30 posts

Posted October 25, 2003 at 10:04 am

We have a lot of mail processing machines at the post office that have hall effect sensors on them. A lot of them don't ever move at all and they go bad. It's not a big problem but it happens here and there. Must be after so many hours of current going through them, they tend to break down. I just know they do fail.

#6 cddburd

cddburd
  • Inactive
  • 72 posts

Posted October 25, 2003 at 03:27 pm

Had a similar problem with my 90 voyager 2.5 l. Replaced map sensor, temp sensor, and a lot of other parts , even the computer contol. My van would start in the morning or when cooled down and run fine for 5-10 min. and then die. Let it sit for a minute and it would start and run fine all day as long as it didn't cool off. This went on for weeks till I replaced the coil in the distribitor and not even a sputter for the last 3 years. Had the veh in to dealears and could not help because it ran fine and would not quit completely. It was an intermitent problem and hard to diagnose, but all is fine. Great engine with 278,000 km . Just keeps on ticking

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated car-related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2014 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.