cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

96' T&C transmission leak

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Duderoy

Duderoy
  • Inactive
  • 13 posts

Posted December 22, 2003 at 10:12 pm

OK, this tranny is starting to leak bad. I pulled the tranny pan and replaced filter and installed cork gasket thinking this was the problem. No fix. My question is there is tranny fluid kind of everwhere on the lower half. How do I tell where it is coming from? Can I power wash it all off without damage? I have been told the solenoid pack could be the problem. I have removed the cover to the solenoid per Chrysler TB ( overheating problem). I just don't know where to start. Thanks, Dan :angry: :blink:

#2 backyardwonder

backyardwonder
  • Inactive
  • 606 posts

Posted December 22, 2003 at 10:18 pm

It could still be the pan leaking if it's all over the lower edge. Pan could be twisted; lip could be bent; bolts could be stripped out; could even be over tightened.

I wouldn't get under there with a power washer. Might blow things away you would like to keep, like wiring, etc.

#3 goin420

goin420
  • 78 posts

Posted December 23, 2003 at 04:42 am

Probably the safest way to clean the transmission is with cleaner soaked rag and perform it the manual way with some elbow grease. An easier way is to use some aerosol solvent and safety goggles (for the splashback of solvent).

It could still be the gasket. There was a tsb calling out a re-usable gasket that had this info:

A reusable silicone gasket has been developed to replace the RTV method of sealing the automatic transmission oil pan. Due to more frequent Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) change intervals and the possibility of the fluid foaming if it comes in contact with uncured RTV it is recommended that this gasket be used in all applications.

NOTE: THIS GASKET CAN BE REUSED UP TO THREE (3) TIMES.

PARTS REQUIRED:

**1 05011113AA Gasket, Transmission Oil Pan, 31TH**
**1 05011114AA Gasket, Transmission Oil Pan, 42LE**
1 05011115AA Gasket, Transmission Oil Pan, 41TE/AE

Other areas for possible leaks would be the axle seals or possibly the cooling line hose area.

#4 Mikey

Mikey
  • Inactive
  • 253 posts

Posted December 23, 2003 at 09:04 am

2 common places for the 41TE to leak are the solenoid pack gasket OR front seal ($35 part, few hundred to replace, It's between the Torque Converter and pump on the transmission input inside the bellhousing).
My suggestion as already indicated, clean the bottom pan, bell housing area and front leading area by the solenoid pack. Then at the next 'wetting', use a BRIGHT LIGHT and follow the trail.
removing the inspection plate on the lower bellhousing will indicate if the front seal in leaking.
A VERY TINY trail from the solenoid mating surface is a weeping gasket here. If it needs replacing, be SURE to keep this area clean. Use and don't reuse cloths or paper towel when cleaning these surfaces. Small dirt pieces, hardly seen by our eyes, can cause malfuntions in the solenoid pack which show up as shifting, slipping and maybe shuddering.
People I know, 1 guy in particular, has had a weeping front seal for over 4 years now on his '93 Voyager. He RARELY adds fluid, the leak is that small. But enough to keep the pan/bell housing damp and give him a drip every 4-5 days. He says he will get it fixed when something else happens........Maybe he's not so wrong.
My $.02 and experiences.... :)

#5 Lost Pup

Lost Pup
  • Inactive
  • 9 posts

Posted December 23, 2003 at 04:11 pm

Try the local Bay Car Wash to clean the trans. I took my rhino ramps with me in the early morning hours when there are no customers or employees around. Put it up on the ramps and power wash the trans from both sides of the van. You can also pre-soak with cleaner prior to the wash if needed. Caution applies so spray indirectly.

I did replace the pump seal at 50k miles on our 96 T&C LXI. I pulled the trans and took the trans and converter to the local shop. I purchased the rebuild kit and supplied it as well. Total for a complete rebuild was about $800.00. The effort to remove the trans was considerable so I did not wish to drop it again. Knock On Wood.....

Edited by Lost Pup, December 23, 2003 at 04:16 pm.

#6 RossT

RossT
  • Inactive
  • 199 posts

Posted December 24, 2003 at 04:52 am

A VERY TINY trail from the solenoid mating surface is a weeping gasket here.

Micky. I have a small leak from this area only when the van sits overnight and the temp falls below 20 degrees. It did this when new and the dealer replaced the
solinoid. The fix did last for about a year and a half but now it's leaking again and out of warranty (2000 GC 3.3).

Is this solinoid gasket easy to replace, and is it expensive? Can you get just the
gasket or do you have to buy the solinoid to get it? Any adivise on changing this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

#7 fuzzcan

fuzzcan
  • Inactive
  • 9 posts

Posted December 24, 2003 at 09:10 am

I replaced my gasket twice before realizing that it was a loose clamp on one of
my tranny lines. It would only leak after getting below -10c. The bottom of the vehicle was a mess. I cleaned it the way Lost Pup did.

#8 Mikey

Mikey
  • Inactive
  • 253 posts

Posted December 24, 2003 at 09:27 am

As Fuzzycan also brought up, the hoses at the transmission end also are known to leak. I've tries tightening these only having to replace then with the 'moulded' ones from the dealer. But This leak you can see from above (after removing the intake resonator). The leaking hoses will also wet the top of the tranny as well.
The solenoid gasket is replaced by removing all the intake plumbing and air filter all behing the driver's headlamp. Then remove the cover and plug assy, (both are screwed on). Then there are 2 (if I remember corretly ) 10MM bolts hold the pack onto the tranny. After removing the solenoid pack CAREFULLY clean the surface on the tranny and the bottom of the pack. As I said before, I DO NOT reuse any wipes/towels in this area as not to get any dirt in the passages.
The gasket is a thin metel if sort. reminds me of a head gasket, Probably because of the pressures it must seal. Then reassemble.
Care and Caution are my biggest advice. Not a difficult job for the weekend mechanic.

#9 kuhnzoo

kuhnzoo
  • 27 posts

Posted December 24, 2003 at 09:29 am

I had a pretty awful ATF leak on my 2000 GC. Turned out to be the transmission cooling hoses running to the radiator/auxilliary cooler. Replaced them and no more leak!

Good Luck!

#10 RossT

RossT
  • Inactive
  • 199 posts

Posted December 24, 2003 at 11:10 am

Thanks for the advise. I am sure mine is not coming from the hoses, but I will check again.

#11 captoats

captoats
  • Inactive
  • 166 posts

Posted December 24, 2003 at 09:47 pm

I always power wash the transmission and engine at the car wash and never had a problem. Best way to find the leak is to start with a clean paitent so blast away.

#12 Duderoy

Duderoy
  • Inactive
  • 13 posts

Posted December 24, 2003 at 11:23 pm

Man, I'm new to this site, but this is all very good info. I hope to know where the leak is soon now. Thanks

#13 RossT

RossT
  • Inactive
  • 199 posts

Posted December 24, 2003 at 11:30 pm

Another way to find a leak is after you clean and dry the area, sprinkle talc or baby powder all over. You can then see where the powder absorbs the moisture.

Just make sure you clean again before you do the repair.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.