cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

- - - - -

1998 breeze 150000+ miles Oil Light

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 detheridge (converted)

detheridge (converted)
  • Guests

Posted December 24, 2003 at 05:22 pm

My 98 breeze has had some serious problems. Since october i've had to replace the the spark plug gaskets, head cover gasket, fuel module, engine vac, catalytic converter, exhaust manifold.

I'm having the problem that when the engine is warm (driven for about 15 miles or so) and you push the clutch in, the rpm's drop below 1000 -- the oil light comes on.

There is plenty of oil, with no apparent oil loss.

It has a new oil filter.

Anybody out there who can tell me what's wrong and how it can be fixed?

#2 gene - neonexpres

gene - neonexpres
  • Inactive
  • 1,726 posts

Posted December 24, 2003 at 05:36 pm

I would first replace the oil pressure sending unit. It is located in the middle of th block, side closest to firewall (towards the rear of the car).

My oil light was coming on @ idle, being inconsistent. I replaced the unit, no light since.

#3 KOG

KOG

KOG

• 5,837 posts

Posted December 24, 2003 at 09:54 pm

I've seen defective sending units on Caravans as well. It's not a bad idea to use a mechanical guage to check pressure if you're ocncerned about engine wera, but you might just want to replace the sending unit. If your car has a gauge as well as a light observe the gauge as well. The light never came on on the last 3.3 with a bad sending unit, but the gauge would show low pressure.

#4 detheridge (converted)

detheridge (converted)
  • Guests

Posted December 26, 2003 at 10:31 am

I tried to just eyeball for it. What does the Oil Sending Unit Look like? Will I have to use a special tool to get it out? Are there any posted instructions on the web on how to change this out (especially on a Plymouth Breeze).

#5 valiant67

valiant67

Rich, Corinthian Leather

• Supporters III
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 22,451 posts

Posted December 26, 2003 at 10:40 am

They make a specual socket for the sending unit. I'd get the sending unit and either buy or borrow the socket from the parts place. Once you know what the sender looks like, put the car up on ramps. To see it, look up the back of the block from under the car.

#6 gene - neonexpres

gene - neonexpres
  • Inactive
  • 1,726 posts

Posted December 26, 2003 at 11:59 pm

I'm pretty sure a metric combonation wrench will work fine, just don't remember the size...

I have access to a lift, which makes it easier. I had a harder time unplugging/disconnecting the sensor (dang those little red clips)...

#7 Craig123

Craig123
  • Inactive
  • 1 posts

Posted October 11, 2009 at 06:34 pm

I tried to just eyeball for it. What does the Oil Sending Unit Look like? Will I have to use a special tool to get it out? Are there any posted instructions on the web on how to change this out (especially on a Plymouth Breeze).

I had old red oil can red light on dash, I had plenty of oil. I went to advance auto parts bought a oil sending unit, my engine 2.0 liter 1996 sohc, 1996. Sending unit is in bad place on block firewall side half way up the block close to transmission. I bought a deep socket that fit the new sending unit. It took me half an hour to disconnect the electrical connector, jes I hope that engineer who designed those connectors is in a defferent line of work like washing diapers. What an idiot!!!!! The socket was a bit loose for my old sending unit, but I put some cloth in the socket to take up the loosness and unit came off.

#8 rampage

rampage
  • 345 posts

Posted October 11, 2009 at 08:32 pm

It's a 1 1/16" special oil switch socket. Auto Zone has them. 8-10 bucks I believe. I'm on our fourth switch now. Got the last one at Parts America. As mentioned the plug is a PITA. 97 Breeze 2.0.

Edited by rampage, October 11, 2009 at 08:39 pm.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.