cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

- - - - -

1998 Grand Caravan Instrument cluster

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 jimmcg (converted)

jimmcg (converted)
  • Guests

Posted January 25, 2004 at 09:02 am

All of the guages on my 98 Grand Caravan Sport went dead. I checked the fuse and it was good. I don't however have any voltage at the fuse itself. The Hayes manual I have shows a diode on the input of the fuse. A blown 10 cent diode can bring down anything. Anybody know where this is located...in the junction panel itself, maybe? I have seen other "fixes" that I will try. The shop says I need a new cluster, which I somewhat doubt being that there is no voltage there. Thanks...Jim

#2 jimmcg (converted)

jimmcg (converted)
  • Guests

Posted January 25, 2004 at 09:26 am

I used one of the "fixes I read on another board and it worked. I pulled/reseated the IOD fuse. It is a 10 amp fuse in the power distrubution box under the hood. It is all by its loansome at the top of the unit (closest to the windshield). All the gauges came back. Hope this help someone else. Its a cheap test.

#3 John Wood

John Wood
  • 10,650 posts

Posted January 25, 2004 at 09:53 am

The diodes are on the junction box, under the lower left dash (knee bolster area). You will see the junction box and be able to identify it because of all the relays in it.

The diodes are situated with 2 on the left and 2 on the right (far left and far right of the junction box). They are next to the larger square relays.

Of the 4 diodes, lower left is #1, Lower right is #2, upper left is #3, and upper right is # 4.

It looks like, coming out of your ignition switch, the hot wire is dark green with red stripe which goes to one side of the diode. Then through the diode (D1), it goes through fuse 2 on the junction block and then up to the instrument cluster via a red with white stripe wire.

So check fuse 2 with your test light for power on both sides. Pwr on one side means bad fuse and power on no sides may mean a bad diode, but be sure there is power on one side of the diode before condeming it.

If all that checks out, also be sure you have power on the pink wire feeding the instrument cluster. That appears to come from fuse 10 in the PDC under the hood.

This information is based on an earlier model, but I believe things stayed the same from 96 through 99.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Edited by John Wood, January 25, 2004 at 03:00 pm.

#4 John Wood

John Wood
  • 10,650 posts

Posted January 25, 2004 at 10:00 am

OK, Isee you found the problem, just before I posted, but tuck this information away anyhow. I'll keep in mind that IOD fuse if I ever have that problem.

Glad you did not get suckered into buying a new cluster.

You know they would have put it in and when it didn't work, they would have found the fuse problem. But you would have been charged for a new cluster anyhow, and the dealer would have made a nice profit. :angry:

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.