cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

- - - - -

Monster Minivan

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted February 6, 2004 at 04:05 pm

Just curious (someting I've been thinking about lately). Has anyone ever lifted a minivan?

My thoughts would be to take a pre 91 van and lift it. Prefferable an AWD. I think with the hard lines on this version it would look like an SUV.

Anyone done this or seen it done?

Thanks.

Rob

#2 malcom

malcom
  • 919 posts

Posted February 6, 2004 at 04:42 pm

Just buy a real SUV and have fun with it. Minivans are not SUVs. Don't waste your life on changing it.
Peace and Happiness.

#3 eyknough

eyknough

Abnormal User

• Inactive
  • 623 posts

Posted February 6, 2004 at 04:45 pm

I don't think you'll find a pre 91 with awd. (I think they started awd in '91 or '92)

If you plan to lift an awd van I'm not sure you'll be able to find longer half shafts for either the front or back (especially the back).

Plus lifting the van by means of longer struts and the such, the extra leverage caused by the extra length should be taken into account.

I hear the strut bearing is set in nylon!!! Extra leverage on that baby probably isn't a good idea.

#4 BrokenVans

BrokenVans
  • Inactive
  • 32 posts

Posted February 7, 2004 at 02:48 am

That thing would roll over more than your mom. :P

#5 Hankster

Hankster

Curious Shadetree Tinkerer

• 1,516 posts

Posted February 7, 2004 at 08:11 am

If you really need to do this set the body onto an existing 4 wheel drive truck chassis. The vans dont have enough of a frame.
Hank

#6 gene - neonexpres

gene - neonexpres
  • Inactive
  • 1,726 posts

Posted February 7, 2004 at 10:10 am

If you really need to do this set the body onto an existing 4 wheel drive truck chassis. The vans dont have enough of a frame.
Hank

like this :D

http://monsterphoto.iwarp.com/roll.htm

#7 DSMLVR

DSMLVR

Retired Chrysler Employee

• 1,067 posts

Posted February 7, 2004 at 10:23 am

THAT is an AWD , GO ANYWHERE , Minivan. :D

#8 Dodgeboy49

Dodgeboy49
  • 667 posts

Posted February 7, 2004 at 01:43 pm

I like that a lot! You might be able to put in about an inch of spacing on the struts and rear springs, but thats about it. Get yourself a 4X4 Dakota, a sawzall and a welder and have some fun! By the way, if the Wright Bros. limited their activities to the practical and safe, we would still be flying like a penguin. :lol:

#9 eyknough

eyknough

Abnormal User

• Inactive
  • 623 posts

Posted February 7, 2004 at 03:08 pm

OH God! A woody beaver grocery getter monster 4X4.

Wouldn't have to worry about the nylon bearing setting that way!

Something occurred to me though... Do driveshafts generally have to be longer for a lift? I seem to recall they don't unless it's a huge lift.

#10 shottovy

shottovy
  • 842 posts

Posted February 7, 2004 at 04:07 pm

The first one we are making plans to build will be a mini monster mini, no larger than 33 inch tires. Want to be able to drive it on the street, plow snow and pull a car trailer with it.

I am also negotiating on a 4X4 chassis from a Ramcharger. So, we may be planning a second mini monster mini. B)

#11 Bob_Sheaves

Bob_Sheaves

What color are the clouds in your world?

• Supporters III
  • 9,730 posts

Posted February 7, 2004 at 04:59 pm

The first one we are making plans to build will be a mini monster mini, no larger than 33 inch tires. Want to be able to drive it on the street, plow snow and pull a car trailer with it.

I am also negotiating on a 4X4 chassis from a Ramcharger. So, we may be planning a second mini monster mini. B)

There are 2 main areas you need to be concerned with:

1. The front "subframe" depends on the wheelhouse for structural support. To lift and install 33" tires, you will need to fabricate a new front suspension-the struts ain't gonna take the load. There are 2 quick and dirty ways out of the problem-build an engine cage similar to the coilover conversion Ranger prerunners common in the southwest, then utilize either the twin traction beam Ford style lift (cut, turned, and lengthened beam) kits from Camberg or Donahoe Racing, OR utilize a Toyota Tacoma A-arm style "Cadillac kit" from Chaos Fab that includes long, high strength half shafts you can mate to the AWD Chrysler transaxle.

2. The DeDion rear suspension is going to give you fits with driveline angle between the differential and the wheel ends-you will need to build a custom set of dual Rzeppa joint halfshafts with a plunging center section to handle the joint angularity.

A smaller area of concern is the distance between the front floor at the driver's feet and the distance to the center of the front tire. To install a 33 inch tire, you will need to do one of 2 things-either move the front wheels forward (making the halfshaft problem worse) or spread the track width out about 4 inches perside. The latter will increase the stability of the finished vehicle, without conpromising the foortwell.

If you are interested in more info-feel free to PM me or email me.

Best regards...

#12 shottovy

shottovy
  • 842 posts

Posted February 7, 2004 at 05:56 pm

Hi Bob:

I will be using my 'quick and clean' approach. Never did like the expression 'quick and dirty' it implies procedures I stay away from. I plan on using complete 1/2 ton rolling chassis in my projects. The under body structure of the Caravan/Grand Caravan is what will make this easy, when you remove the front sub frame and rear suspension the C/GC body is still structurely sound, it does not fall into pieces like a pickup. The body lift needed will be designed into the chassis to body adapters.

#13 shottovy

shottovy
  • 842 posts

Posted February 25, 2004 at 02:11 am

Someone beat me to it. This one has more body lift than I plan to use. Check it out: Mini Monster Mini

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.