cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

Switch Replacement On A604 Transmission

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 pbowen

pbowen
  • Inactive
  • 6 posts

Posted June 25, 2004 at 09:47 pm

I am replacing the transmission in my 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan with one from a 1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager. The engine (3.3) and transmission combo are the same for both. I have ran into one problem. There is a single electrical connection on the transmission that is slightly different. This plug is located just below the shift arm (inch or two below the base of the shaft the shift arm connects to) The plug is about 1 1/2 inches long and an inch wide. It has 9 pins in it. On the 1998 the pins are round, on the 1999 they are flat. I believe (80%) that this is the PRND safety switch.

My local Chrysler dealership thought the two could just be switched. But this guy wasn't 100% sure and no one else was around. He could not tell me how to do this. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to remove this switch. The base of it is round. I can't tell if it pulls straight up or has to be screwed out, or if it can even be removed. I am afraid to break it.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#2 madhater

madhater
  • Inactive
  • 66 posts

Posted June 26, 2004 at 12:55 am

according to my automatic transmission service group tech manual--

chrysler 4 1te (a604) new transmission range sensor

change beginning at the start of production 1996, some models equipped with the 41te (a604`) transaxle repalced the PRNODL and Neutral Safety Switch with a transmission range sensor

REASON to provide a common Shift Lever Position Senor and Transmission Contol Module (TCM) logicv system with the used in the 42LE (A606) transaxle for duarbility and reliability.

Parts Affected 1. PRNODL switch the previously used has been eliminated and replaced with the new transmission range sensor
2. Neutral Switch the previously used transmission switch has been elimanatated and replaced with a Transmission Range Sensor
3. Transaxle Case the casting of the case change with the elimination of the two threaded holes for PRNODL holes and Nuetral Safety Switch an access hole has been added to accomidate the new TRS Sensor Connector as the switch which is mounted on the valve body
4. Valve Body the manual arm shaft and roostered comb assembly and the valve Body changed in design to accommedate the mounting of the new TRS sensor
5. TCM the logic system flash into the computer program changed to accept the open and closed state of the new Transmission Range Sensor with the PRNDOL and Neutral Safety Swtich having been inagrated into one Intergraged Change Sensor the new logic system now has to utilize the one sensor to determine start up functions, refersee lamp operation as well as foward drive range shift and converted clutch strategies
6. interchangablities NONE of the updated parts listed above will interchange with any of the first designed parts used in the previous model vehicles between 1989-1995 first designed parts must be used with first desinged models and second design parts must be used with second deign models 1996--and above :blink:

Edited by madhater, June 26, 2004 at 12:57 am.

#3 madhater

madhater
  • Inactive
  • 66 posts

Posted June 26, 2004 at 01:18 am

[QUOTE] I cannot for the life of me figure out how to remove this switch.
this switch is attached to the Valve Body.. . from the inside of the transmission, don;t quote me on this ...i am looking at a picture. <_<

Edited by madhater, June 26, 2004 at 01:24 am.

#4 shak911

shak911
  • Inactive
  • 716 posts

Posted June 26, 2004 at 07:42 am

this switch is attached to the Valve Body.. . from the inside of the transmission, don;t quote me on this ...i am looking at a picture

Madhater, yes I'll quote U because you're 100% correct, the switch is part of the manual shifter assembly, which is bolted onto the valve body, it comes out from the inside, after disconnecting the linkage and dropping the valve body which comes after dropping the oil pan etc...( I went thru this when I took my 41te apart few months ago.) it's a comb switch and it's much too big for that hole, you're only looking at the connector.

There must be a reason why they made the 2 connectors different, I would not swap them, I have a 99 and my back up lights were intermittant, contact cleaner on both side of the connector, no trouble since then, I know that because I have one of those sonar type transponders.

Sam

#5 pbowen

pbowen
  • Inactive
  • 6 posts

Posted June 26, 2004 at 08:37 am

Well, I guess this is the question then. How hard is it to replace the switch and should I? Will there be a bunch of stuff to have readjusted?

I have a complete drivetrain from a 98 to put into my 99. The transmission from 99 (the one being replaced) has never given me any problems. The 'new' transmission from the 98 is an unknown quantity. It came from a lease vehicle with 78,000 miles on it. I will assume that the fluids were never changed.

I also don't know if they used the correct fluid. When I drained the fluid on the 1998 it smelled burnt. Don't know how bad that really is, or if it indicates they put in dexron. Also the sheet metal on the 98 is severly rusted. The metal on the outboard side is bubbling with corrosion and I don't know if this part is easily replaceable or available. (the tranny did drive ok in its last vehicle, I drove it)

I am just trying to set myself up with the best option here. Any recommendations are appreciated it.

Thanks,
Patrick

#6 shak911

shak911
  • Inactive
  • 716 posts

Posted June 26, 2004 at 09:02 am

doing a tranny RE+RE, is a tough job especially if you don't have the needed tools, and some help, it can be a back-breaking assignment, I did it recently and my feeling is never again, besides why would you want to replace a known quality with an unknown, did I miss something? replacing the switch is a breeze compared to replacing the tranny, you can practice on the 98, what is the switch doing/not doing anyway...

there should be nothing to readjust as far as I know.

Sam

#7 pbowen

pbowen
  • Inactive
  • 6 posts

Posted June 26, 2004 at 09:09 am

Shak911, the point is that I want to keep the known transmission. However the plug is what is slightly different. That is why I am trying to keep the one I know and swap just the switch. I am not sure what you mean by RE + RE. Rebuild I assume?

If I remove the pan from the tranny will the switch be visible to be removed? or will I have to delve much deeper into the tranny.

Patrick

#8 shak911

shak911
  • Inactive
  • 716 posts

Posted June 26, 2004 at 09:47 am

RE+REstands for remove and re-install I think...

No the switch is attached to your manual shifter post, that's the one you connect the linkage to from the cable that comes from the lever on the steering column, you'll have to drop the oil pan then remove about 24 small bolts on the valve body( either philips or torx, can't remember...) then you pull down the the valve body with the shifter attached to it it, I took some pix, send your email and will send them to you. wait wait..just click on my name and you should see a pic there.

sam

#9 pbowen

pbowen
  • Inactive
  • 6 posts

Posted June 26, 2004 at 11:05 am

Shak, thanks. I think I undestand now. The picture helps alot. If I understand you correctly, undoing those bolts this whole assembly should just drop straight down? I can't really tell from the picture, but I am assuming at that point that changing the switch is pretty straight forward. Do I need to be concerned about any adjustments at all when reassembling this, are there any touchy parts? Or again is it pretty straight forward?

Just don't want to get in over my head without having some knowledge of what is going on.

I was also considering just changing out the entire wiring harness between the two vans, complete with computers at all. Not sure if that is an easier/better idea , but with the whole drivetrain out it would not take very much. Any reasons not to do this that you can think of?

Thanks,
Patrick

#10 shak911

shak911
  • Inactive
  • 716 posts

Posted June 26, 2004 at 03:52 pm

Patrick, it's really up to you to answer the Going over head question, I think it's straight forward, the pix shows the valve is split (2 pieces are sandwiched together)
so you won't be going that far, once you remove all the proper bolts, you can just ease it down, remember to keep your mouth shut while under there, or you'll be sampling some atf+3, the switch assembly slides over the manual shifter post, and secured by one screw, but you have not said why you want to replace the switch?

When my tranny broke, back in January, having heard and read so much about the 604, I wanted to see one on the inside as the diagrams were not comprehensive enough if you never visited one before, but after tearing it apart, and confirmed my suspission of the problem I found few places that were glad to rebuild it for me, it is a lot easier, it took the guy 1 hour to do it,so you can think the same way, try it and if you're stuck, then seek the pro help, if you decide to do it and I'll post the procedure .

Sam

ps: the original pix is clearer than what showed on the website, send ur email if u want it.

added: take a peek again at the pix, I cropped it.

Edited by shak911, June 26, 2004 at 07:39 pm.

#11 pbowen

pbowen
  • Inactive
  • 6 posts

Posted July 5, 2004 at 12:44 pm

I have ventured on to remove this unit and change out the switch. However when I lowered the assembly two pistons, about 1 1/2 inches wide by 2 inches tall dropped out. Along with the pistons dropped two large springs and one small spring.

It is obvious the small spring goes inside one of the larger springs, but which one?? I need someone to verify my assumptions that one has the smaller spring in it and one does not (case one flew off and I didn't see it). I then need to know which one do I put the spring in? The holes are aligned lengthwise along the car, one behind the other.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Patrick

#12 shak911

shak911
  • Inactive
  • 716 posts

Posted July 5, 2004 at 12:55 pm

Patrick,

drop me a note with your email, I'll try (later) to scan some diagrams and email them, I was afraid this might happen,

sam

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.