cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

98 Grand Caravan Won't Crank Or Start

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 Nitromethane

Nitromethane
  • Inactive
  • 18 posts

Posted September 9, 2004 at 06:52 pm

A couple days ago my 98 3.8 Grand Caravan would only start and then immediately stall. It was warm and after a while it started and was fine for 4 days. Today it won't even crank. When I turn the key all of the dashboard warning lights work as they should, but when I turn the key the engine won't crank. I checked the voltage at the starter and it was present. After turning the key and holding it in the crank position there was no voltage at the solenoid. I tried a new starter relay, but still wouldn't crank and no voltage at the solenoid. While trying to remove the relay the cover came off. If I physically push the relay the engine will crank, but not start, even with the key in the run position. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

#2 wcroyal (converted)

wcroyal (converted)
  • Guests

Posted September 9, 2004 at 09:04 pm

Maybe the ignition switch? I had a similar problem in my Acura last spring.

#3 A. Murphy

A. Murphy
  • 2,786 posts

Posted September 10, 2004 at 01:06 am

If I physically push the relay the engine will crank, but not start, even with the key in the run position. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great stuff. That's a test.

Do you hear the Fuel pump whirr for about 3 sec when you turn the key to RUN?.
If not you have a ASD relay problem, If yes, then we had better get thinking.

You might try removing the cover from the ASD realy and close the contacts on it, then close the contacts on the starter relay, see what happens.

Other items you might check, is there 8~9V present at the MAP sensor supply. This is powered directly from the PCM, and if not powered, may indicate a PCM failure.

#4 Geo

Geo
  • Inactive
  • 181 posts

Posted September 10, 2004 at 08:39 am

I second the ASD relay. Easy to check. That dumb little thing can really make your van do strange things. Geo

#5 Nitromethane

Nitromethane
  • Inactive
  • 18 posts

Posted September 10, 2004 at 11:01 am

Great stuff. That's a test.

Do you hear the Fuel pump whirr for about 3 sec when you turn the key to RUN?.
If not you have a ASD relay problem, If yes, then we had better get thinking.

You might try removing the cover from the ASD realy and close the contacts on it, then close the contacts on the starter relay, see what happens.

Other items you might check, is there 8~9V present at the MAP sensor supply. This is powered directly from the PCM, and if not powered, may indicate a PCM failure.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, yes the fuel pump makes noise.

I was thinking the same thing with the ASD relay, I'll try that.

If that doesn't work I'll try to scan the PCM, maybe a fault is recorded.

#6 sckjhharris

sckjhharris
  • 133 posts

Posted September 21, 2004 at 09:05 am

Any progress?

If it won't crank then maybe it doesn't think it is in Park or Nuetral. As a safety feature it will only crank in these two gear states. Set your parking brake, shift to nuetral, and try cranking.

#7 Nitromethane

Nitromethane
  • Inactive
  • 18 posts

Posted September 21, 2004 at 09:57 am

Any progress?

If it won't crank then maybe it doesn't think it is in Park or Nuetral.  As a safety feature it will only crank in these two gear states.  Set your parking brake, shift to nuetral, and try cranking.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I've already tried that, but it didn't work. I replaced the ignition switch and it was fine for over a week and then the problem came back. I tried to scan the computer but got the message: MIL is off.

Bad PCM? The automatic transmission part of the computer scans OK.

#8 johnny5 (converted)

johnny5 (converted)
  • Guests

Posted September 21, 2004 at 11:57 am

I have the same problem there is no signal from the pcm to starter relay and no spark (when you jump the starter relay ) ......also the gas and temp gauge don t work when it decides to do this..... I have a feeling it is a problem with the factory alrm or the bcm module ,I have already tried the pcm and ig switch .. the problem is the van will start and go at any time so you really dont know if it fixed until it never happens again , I will keep you informed ....john

Edited by johnny5, September 21, 2004 at 11:59 am.

#9 Nitromethane

Nitromethane
  • Inactive
  • 18 posts

Posted September 21, 2004 at 07:42 pm

I have the same problem there is no signal from the pcm to starter relay and no spark (when you jump the starter relay  ) ......also the gas and temp gauge  don t work when it decides to do this..... I have a feeling it is a problem with the factory alrm or the bcm module ,I have already tried the pcm and ig switch .. the problem is the van will start and go at any time so you really dont know if it fixed until it never happens again , I will keep you informed ....john

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, it's not the ecm. I figured out the scanner and no codes were stored. MIL is off, is just the code for no check engine light. Someone had suggested that the arm that goes down the steering column and turns the ignition switch may be out of adjustment. Any thoughts?

#10 johnny5 (converted)

johnny5 (converted)
  • Guests

Posted September 22, 2004 at 09:03 pm

A couple days ago my 98 3.8 Grand Caravan would only start and then immediately stall. It was warm and after a while it started and was fine for 4 days. Today it won't even crank. When I turn the key all of the dashboard warning lights work as they should, but when I turn the key the engine won't crank. I checked the voltage at the starter and it was present. After turning the key and holding it in the crank position there was no voltage at the solenoid. I tried a new starter relay, but still wouldn't crank and no voltage at the solenoid. While trying to remove the relay the cover came off. If I physically push the relay the engine will crank, but not start, even with the key in the run position. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I SENT YOU A MESSAGE BUT I DONT KNOW IF IT WORKED

THIS HAS WORKED WITH OTHERS
NEXT TIME IT HAPPENS TURN KEY ON GAS GAUGE SHOWS E
HIT TOP OF DASH HARD (DONT BREAK THOUGH)
NOTICE GAS GAUGE COME TO LIFE
START YOUR ENGINES
PROBLEM WITH DASH CIRCUIT CAUSES VEHICLE TO GO TO ANTITHEFT MODE ?????
DEALER ONLY SHRUGS ..NEVER HEARD OF IT ???
LET ME KNOW HOW YOU MAKE OUT....JOHN

#11 Nitromethane

Nitromethane
  • Inactive
  • 18 posts

Posted September 23, 2004 at 06:34 am

I SENT YOU A MESSAGE BUT I DONT KNOW IF IT WORKED

THIS HAS WORKED WITH OTHERS
NEXT TIME IT HAPPENS TURN KEY ON GAS GAUGE SHOWS E
HIT TOP OF DASH HARD (DONT BREAK THOUGH)
NOTICE GAS GAUGE COME TO LIFE
START YOUR ENGINES
PROBLEM WITH DASH CIRCUIT CAUSES VEHICLE TO GO TO ANTITHEFT MODE ?????
DEALER ONLY SHRUGS ..NEVER HEARD OF IT ???
LET ME KNOW HOW YOU MAKE OUT....JOHN

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, I did notice the gas gauge does read E. I'll try that.

I even tested the battery, it was weak and I swapped it with a good one...no luck.

Funny thing I did notice.. I set the alarm and then opened the door. The alarm triggered, the lights flashed, but no horn. The horn worked in panic mode.

#12 Nitromethane

Nitromethane
  • Inactive
  • 18 posts

Posted September 23, 2004 at 03:32 pm

Thanks, I did notice the gas gauge does read E. I'll try that.

I even tested the battery, it was weak and I swapped it with a good one...no luck.

Funny thing I did notice.. I set the alarm and then opened the door. The alarm triggered, the lights flashed, but no horn. The horn worked in panic mode.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey John, thanks for the tip.

Sure enough the gas gauge was dead, I gave the dash a WHACK, the gauge moved and the engine started.

Bad connection in the dash wiring?

#13 sckjhharris

sckjhharris
  • 133 posts

Posted September 24, 2004 at 08:35 am

Where do I go to learn more about the alarm system and how it can affect (the way it prevents) vehicle starting.

I have a van that won't start. I got a different computer. The guy at the junk yard asked if I had the security system or not. I assume I do. The key fob is just like my other GC with the panic button and all. I never did anything to test it for an alarm, but I assumed it was there. Anyway, I got this other computer and it doesn't fire the fuel injectors. The gas gauge, though, does show fuel.

Could the injectors not firing be something the computer is doing on purpose or should I just suspect I have a bad computer?

#14 Nitromethane

Nitromethane
  • Inactive
  • 18 posts

Posted September 24, 2004 at 09:10 am

Where do I go to learn more about the alarm system and how it can affect (the way it prevents) vehicle starting.

I have a van that won't start.  I got a different computer.  The guy at the junk yard asked if I had the security system or not.  I assume I do.  The key fob is just like my other GC with the panic button and all.  I never did anything to test it for an alarm, but I assumed it was there.  Anyway, I got this other computer and it doesn't fire the fuel injectors.  The gas gauge, though, does show fuel.

Could the injectors not firing be something the computer is doing on purpose or should I just suspect I have a bad computer?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, I don't know much about the alarms. I'm pretty sure the key fob looks the same. The only thing that is different (that I've noticed) is that the ALARM SET light on the dash stays illuminated for about 30 seconds after the doors are locked by the remote. I'm sure mismatching comptuers would cause problems.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.