cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

- - - - -

1990 Jeep Cherokee 4.0/ Doesn't Start

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 DMAN2983 (converted)

DMAN2983 (converted)
  • Guests

Posted September 15, 2004 at 10:34 am

About a year ago I bought a 1990 Jeep Cherokee 4.0. It had a brand new engine with only about 12,000 miles on it with about 120,000 miles on the chassis. When I bought it, it ran like a brand new vehicle. Then about eight months ago it started to develop an intermittent starting/stalling problem. At first it would stall at red lights but then start back up right away. I remembered the guy who sold me the Jeep telling me to only use premium gasoline. So I starting paying an extra 20 cents a gallon and the problem went away. Then about two months later it developed a starting problem. Every once in a while I would get in to start it and the motor would turn but not start. Then after 15 min of just sitting there, it would start right up. This problem persisted for a couple months, and while it was annoying I never got it checked out because I knew it would start.

#2 al sullivan

al sullivan
  • 1,662 posts

Posted September 16, 2004 at 12:34 am

for the starting problem i'd take a good look at the crank sensor(i believe there's
an update with an over lay kit).
for the stalling at idle i'd check the EGR valve.you could make a temporary gasket
and block it off.also consider replacing the 4 relays on the right fender.

Sully

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.