Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

- - - - -

Slim Jim Mini Van Locks

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 coupster (converted)

coupster (converted)
  • Guests

Posted February 25, 2005 at 11:20 pm

Slim Jim mini van locks.
Is this an easy thing to do with the Chrysler mini vans?.In the past 18 mos..I have had 2 different mini vans (locked up)stolen from my driveway. Both times I have found them within a few miles of my home..No broken windows, or locks. yet they always destroy the steering column to drive them off...This last time they stole the middle row of quad seats..Are the Chrysler door locks easy to pick or slim jim, or are there a lot of keys that will just open the doors and not the steering wheel ignition switch..Thanks

#2 gene - neonexpres

gene - neonexpres
  • Inactive
  • 1,726 posts

Posted February 26, 2005 at 01:13 am

I've noticed that the technique to open doors now during a lockout is to use an air badder to pull the window frame away from the body and use a long bar to pop the pdl.

I wonder if the same ppl stole both vans. Are they newer vans with the Sentry key?

I myself haven't tried using a slim jim yet. Used to pop locks using a coat hanger.

#3 Hankster

Hankster

Curious Shadetree Tinkerer

• 1,516 posts

Posted February 26, 2005 at 07:25 am

I have seen several that have had a screwdriver forced through bettween the bottom of the door handle and door skin. My van has a hole there on the pass. side.
Hank

#4 cliffw (converted)

cliffw (converted)
  • Guests

Posted February 26, 2005 at 08:33 am

A couple of years ago my daughter locked my keys in my 94 I made a slim jim from a piece of flat steel - took me about 15 seconds to get in and I'm not a pro.

#5 whatsinanugget

whatsinanugget
  • Inactive
  • 45 posts

Posted February 26, 2005 at 09:25 am

A couple of years ago my daughter locked my keys in my 94  I made a slim jim from a piece of flat steel - took me about 15 seconds to get in and I'm not a pro.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:blink:

#6 99caravan

99caravan
  • Inactive
  • 280 posts

Posted February 26, 2005 at 10:22 am

Having seen the locksmith unlock the van in under 10 seconds with a slim jim, I would say that it's not difficult at all.

#7 Hankster

Hankster

Curious Shadetree Tinkerer

• 1,516 posts

Posted February 26, 2005 at 10:43 am

Thats why I use a "club" on my steering wheel. That way the thieves will hopefully steal a van down the street because its easier.
Hank

#8 XX29J9 (converted)

XX29J9 (converted)
  • Guests

Posted February 27, 2005 at 08:39 pm

Get a Chevy Venture van without OnStar.

Why? Well, the other day as I was walking across a parking lot I saw a deputy sheriff using a slim jim on the driver's door of a woman's Venture. As I walked back to my mini upon leaving the store, the same deputy sheriff was using a slim jim on the passenger's door of the same Venture. :unsure:

Totally unreliable as well as unscientific conclusion? Those Venture's are veritable fortresses. :rolleyes:

I wonder if anyone walked by and said, "Hello, OnStar?" :P

#9 int_53185

int_53185
  • Inactive
  • 326 posts

Posted February 27, 2005 at 08:54 pm

I'd bet if you had the alarm system and had it activated..the van wouldnt start....also...if a door is opened the alarm will sound....

#10 gene - neonexpres

gene - neonexpres
  • Inactive
  • 1,726 posts

Posted February 27, 2005 at 11:59 pm

Get a Chevy Venture van without OnStar.

Why? Well, the other day as I was walking across a parking lot I saw a deputy sheriff using a slim jim on the driver's door of a woman's Venture. As I walked back to my mini upon leaving the store, the same deputy sheriff was using a slim jim on the passenger's door of the same Venture.  :unsure:

Totally unreliable as well as unscientific conclusion? Those Venture's are veritable fortresses.  :rolleyes:

I wonder if anyone walked by and said, "Hello, OnStar?" :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Depends if he had training or not.

Before the security dept @ the hospital I work for got one of those bladder setups, I wouldn't let them near a vehicle.

One time, I offered to fix a visitor's Mitsu Colt. The security guards popped the bars off both front door locks...so now the poor lady couldn't lock her car.

Another time, my friend left his lights on, which killed his battery (he leaves the keys somewhere in the vehicle and carries the remote with him. He had a Ford Ranger.The security guards spent hours trying to open his doors.

He gave me permission to try and get his truck open. One of the security guards was being a d*** and wouldn't let me use the slimjim (After the sargeant on duty gave me the go ahead.

So, I used a metal coathanger. It took me a 1/2 hour. It would of been a hellava lot quicker if I knew the vehicle or had the slimjim :angry:

#11 wrench

wrench
  • Inactive
  • 59 posts

Posted February 28, 2005 at 01:04 am

Thats why I use a "club" on my steering wheel. That way the thieves will hopefully steal a van down the street because its easier.

I thought the Club was a neat idea too. Until I picked the lock on a Club in two (yes - 2) seconds.

Easiest lock I ever picked.

The best anti theft device is a hidden toggle switch that disables the ignition or fuel pump circuits.

#12 97 plymouth neon expresso

97 plymouth neon expresso
  • 552 posts

Posted February 28, 2005 at 01:48 pm

I thought the Club was a neat idea too. Until I picked the lock on a Club in two (yes - 2) seconds.

Easiest lock I ever picked.

The best anti theft device is a hidden toggle switch that disables the ignition or fuel pump circuits.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's not that easy to "pick" when installed properly (backwards) on the steering wheel.

#13 bluer101

bluer101
  • Inactive
  • 124 posts

Posted February 28, 2005 at 10:56 pm

It's not that easy to "pick" when installed properly (backwards) on the steering wheel.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To slim jim a Dodge caravan is very simple. I can do it under 5 seconds. Dodges are some of the simplest cars to do along with Ford. As for the club those are just a simple, no need to pick the lock, I will not post the method but worked everytime for me. :) I should know since my last job was a repo man.

Edited by bluer101, February 28, 2005 at 10:56 pm.

#14 97 plymouth neon expresso

97 plymouth neon expresso
  • 552 posts

Posted March 1, 2005 at 09:08 am

I know the club can be easily defeated, and if someones wants that perticular vehicle (reposession, custom parts order, etc,) they can and will steal it. I still think it's a deterrent to the casual thief or joyrider who will move on to easier pickings.

#15 vh45b62

vh45b62
  • Inactive
  • 34 posts

Posted March 1, 2005 at 08:50 pm

I drive a '94- 2.5/ 5-speed w. 146000...

... monday, 200 miles from home, 7-am, and cold ...I pull over to check on a driver in a fender-bender.... only to realize I had locked my self out !! In desperation, with a state trooper looking at me, I unscrewed the antenna and presto ! ... I was able to pop the lock and make my exit...

#16 wrench

wrench
  • Inactive
  • 59 posts

Posted March 2, 2005 at 01:10 am

Actually, it is. I had to do it that way the first time. A customer left a rental truck parked in the way of the shop door, and while we had the truck keys - we had no key to the Club he left on the steering wheel. Working on it that way was how I found how easy it was. I use handmade picks - not commerical ones. Picking locks ain't as hard as some people make out. It's also not as easy as Hollywood makes it onscreen. Honda trunks locks are just as easy.

Hardest: Isuzu and Volvo.

B)

#17 wrench

wrench
  • Inactive
  • 59 posts

Posted March 2, 2005 at 01:14 am

with a state trooper looking at me, I unscrewed the antenna and presto ! ... I was able to pop the lock and make my exit...

SHHHHH! Now the whole world knows that one!

:D :D

B)

#18 tkyoshi

tkyoshi
  • 261 posts

Posted March 2, 2005 at 02:48 pm

Well how are the newer vans?

I know that the older models like the 95' were quite easy to break in to, but have they improved the locks over the years?

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated car-related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2014 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.