cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

Hello Trans Guys....symptoms Of Solenoid Failing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 dno36

dno36
  • 250 posts

Posted March 5, 2005 at 10:52 am

What are the typical signs of a failing solenoid pack??

I have NOT been told the same thing twice.

I have a '92 A604 Voyager that has started acting funky.

Can you help??

Thanks in Advance,

DNO.

#2 fnkychkn

fnkychkn

swollen member

• 990 posts

Posted March 5, 2005 at 11:03 am

solenoid pack contains 4 solenoids and 3 pressure switches. symptoms vary depending on which component in solenoid pack is defective. after rebuilding a604/41te trans for 6 years, i have to say that solenoid pack was the defective part in at very most 5% of cases.
just how "funky" is it acting?

#3 dno36

dno36
  • 250 posts

Posted March 5, 2005 at 11:19 am

solenoid pack contains 4 solenoids and 3 pressure switches. symptoms vary depending on which component in solenoid pack is defective. after rebuilding a604/41te trans for 6 years, i have to say that solenoid pack was the defective part  in at very most 5% of cases.
just how "funky" is it acting?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the quick reply Mav.
It first started to slip a bit, especially when the first R-D engagement of the morning.
Then it became more frequent. I noticed that when I did the "shut the car off in neutral" thing, it would resume normally for a decent amount of time.
Now the slipping has gotten worse and I am afraid to drive it.

Thanks Again,
DNO.

#4 fnkychkn

fnkychkn

swollen member

• 990 posts

Posted March 5, 2005 at 11:30 am

delayed engagement can be the result of anything from low fluid level to leaky piston seals. some have even been due to improper valve body check ball clearance.
check fluid level and condition. have your TCM scanned for codes and CVI's.
most likely cause is leaky seals. if you don't want to teardown and repair right away, i suggest using some kind of seal sweller like wynn's trans fix.
good luck

Edited by mav_mech, March 5, 2005 at 11:31 am.

#5 dno36

dno36
  • 250 posts

Posted March 5, 2005 at 11:34 am

delayed engagement can be the result of anything from low fluid level to leaky piston seals. some have even been due to improper valve body check ball clearance.
check fluid level and condition. have your TCM scanned for codes and CVI's.
most likely cause is leaky seals. if you don't want to teardown and repair right away, i suggest using some kind of seal sweller like wynn's trans fix.
good luck

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I did change the fluid and filter when it started slipping.
There was quite a bit of junk in the pan, but the fluid looked good. I shall try the Wynns material.
Thank You.
DNO.

P.S.....any other ideas out there.

D.

#6 dno36

dno36
  • 250 posts

Posted March 6, 2005 at 07:24 am

Is there any way I can read the trans codes at my home??
It will cost me $140 to have my van towed to a shop to have it read.

I live a considerable distance from a real town and if I tow it somewhere, I want to make sure I am going to have the work done there, so...
Yesterday afternoon I talked to an independant trans shop about this issue. They said they've had at least 200 of these A604 in their shop, and 1 was in there yesterday.

He told me the pump is probably failing and that is a common issue with these trannys. But when I questioned the fact that when I shut it down in N, the shifting improves, he said, if it wasnt that, it could be some garbage inside the trans that was getting in one of the valves.

Either way it would need to came out and get rebuilt.

Again, there seems to be a ka-zillion opinions as to what needs to be done.

I am sadder now, and do not have the $1500 they are asking for a rebuild.

I am draining a bit of fluid today and adding the Wynns trans fix to see if that helps.

)o:

DNO.

#7 fnkychkn

fnkychkn

swollen member

• 990 posts

Posted March 6, 2005 at 08:37 am

it may take a few hours for the seals to swell enough to stop losing pressure, depending on how severe the condition is. you don't need to drain any fluid, i think trans fix comes in a 8 oz. bottle. just add it in. allow engine to reach operating temp. shift trans to all gears many times as fluid transfer through pistons is very slow. once you are satisfied that fluid has reached all parts of your transmission. allow 8 hour cold soak and try again.
good luck

#8 dno36

dno36
  • 250 posts

Posted March 6, 2005 at 05:17 pm

Perfect, Thanks Mav.
However, I searched for 2 hours, phone and by car to find Wynns here. I could not. So I bought Lucas TransFix ( 24 oz. bottle ).
Hopefully this is a good product, at least comparable to the Wynns.
Thanks Again,
DNO.

#9 valiant67

valiant67

Rich, Corinthian Leather

• Supporters III
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 22,469 posts

Posted March 6, 2005 at 07:22 pm

I used Lucas in my LeBaron, and several others on the board as well. It worked for my slow to engage tranny for a while.

#10 dno36

dno36
  • 250 posts

Posted March 6, 2005 at 07:58 pm

I, at this time, am sad........
1. The Lucas vs. Wynns thing.
2. This afternoons test drive went, well, not well at all.
2a. The trans, while shifting through the gears had a good bit of a shudder in the 1-2 shift also.
2b. The trans had a distinct semi-high pitched whine which was quite noticable and not previously appearant.
2c. When it finally got to the 40+ m.p.h./lock-up arena, it shuddered very noticably, but after it engaged the whine in the trans went away, and it ran quite well.
2d. When I went to turn around, The trans slipped badly and seemed very bad, but after almost coming to a complete stop it did continue.
2e. On the way back, the 2nd 1-2 shift it again shuddered badly this time sending the trans into limp mode. Wheeeee, aint this fun.
2f. After limping home the van would not move in the driveway, F, R or any other.
Not being a pro, and without the scanner thing available, I am about ready to punch the van. But unfortunately, I really need it to run and get me to my jobsites. No van= no $$. Can you say catch 22.

I am really lost now. :(

I hope the Lucas stuff did not make things much worse.

Any other ideas out there??

Thanks again,

DNO.

Edited by dno36, March 7, 2005 at 03:50 am.

#11 dno36

dno36
  • 250 posts

Posted March 8, 2005 at 01:57 pm

Another question..........if you read the last post you shalll se I am quite lost but am coming back down to Earth thanks to Mav.

Question is, why does the trans refuse to move the car after it does its shudder/slip thing when I bring it back from a test drive, but if I start it the next day, I can drive it "normally"??

I just dont understamd,

DNO.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.