cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

- - - - -

Touring Vs. Limited

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 Kevdela (converted)

Kevdela (converted)
  • Guests

Posted May 12, 2005 at 10:12 pm

Hi,
I'm going to be trading in my '98 Plymouth Breeze for a 2001 PT Cruiser, and found a Touring Edition thats about perfect. But whats the difference between the Limited Edition and the Touring Edition? I've seen plenty of Limited Editions, but found that the touring is a bit uncommon.
Thanks!!

#2 41Mopar

41Mopar
  • Inactive
  • 81 posts

Posted May 13, 2005 at 10:06 am

Hi,
I'm going to be trading in my '98 Plymouth Breeze for a 2001 PT Cruiser, and found a Touring Edition thats about perfect.  But whats the difference between the Limited Edition and the Touring Edition?  I've seen plenty of Limited Editions, but found that the touring is a bit uncommon.
Thanks!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kevdela, there are many differences between the 2001 Limited Edition and the Touring Edition PT Cruiser.I'll try to cover as many as I can recall. They are:
1 The Limited Edition always has shiny chrome (16") wheels
2 it always has leather / suede seats
3 It always has a cargo net in its storage compartment
4 it always had 4 wheel anti-lock disk brakes (front and rear)
5 in short it usually came with all the options the average person would want.
I happen to have bought and still am driving a 2001 PT Cruiser LE. As I recall the Touring Edition was equipped to give its owner a firmer ride and a tad better handling (but it came with the same shoddy Goodyear Eagle LS tires). The TE also came with less 'luxury' equipment and a lower price. I believe that there were only 3 model trims in 2001, which were the Base, the Touring Edition and the Limited Edition whicch was the 'top of the line' in 01. This changed in 03 when the turbo-equipped GT model was added . All 03 and later models have the body colored bumpers and exterior mirros which do not fold in (cheaper for DCX to make).
At age 63, I'm certainly not into the 'spirited' driving style but really wish I could keep every feature I have and add the 180 hp turbo engine. It is available in the 05 LE but certain other features are either hard to find or no longer available.
Best of luck to you no matter which model line you choose. I believe you will find the PT's build quality to be better than that of your Breeze and that you will find that it really has a lot more useful room and, assuming its former owner took decent care of it, the Cruiser will be more dependable. Again, goog luck and please let us know what you wound up with.
r
41Mopar

#3 Kevdela (converted)

Kevdela (converted)
  • Guests

Posted May 14, 2005 at 05:10 pm

Excellent. Thanks for the reply and info!
I had rented a base PT last summer (an '04 i believe) for a few days and, found it to be both versatile, and very nice to drive. My Breeze has the 2.4L, so I know more or less what to expect from the engine, but like the availability of the 5 speed, something I had always wished the 2.4 in the breeze had been offered with.
Thanks again.

Edited by Kevdela, May 14, 2005 at 05:15 pm.

#4 neal

neal
  • 245 posts

Posted May 14, 2005 at 06:15 pm

IN 2001 the main difference between the LE and Touring was in the leather seats (as mentioned), the moonroof, and the luxury touring package (the chrome wheels) were all included. The suspension, drivetrain and brakes were the same (4 wheels disc/ABS were an option on both in '01) So depending on how that '01 is configured (it could have the moonroof, and deluxe touring and ABS added as packages) it could be as good as an LE, minus the leather seats. Hope you enjoy it!

#5 41Mopar

41Mopar
  • Inactive
  • 81 posts

Posted May 19, 2005 at 11:20 am

Hi,
I'm going to be trading in my '98 Plymouth Breeze for a 2001 PT Cruiser, and found a Touring Edition thats about perfect.  But whats the difference between the Limited Edition and the Touring Edition?  I've seen plenty of Limited Editions, but found that the touring is a bit uncommon.
Thanks!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kevdela, as usual, Neal is correct. But I would strongly suggest that you check that Touring Edition out very thoroughly. Make a list before you go to examine that Touring Edition (i.e., if you haven't already bought it.) Make sure that it has :
1- ABS w/ 4 wheel disk brakes (far easier to maintain when they're worn)
2- the drawer under the front passenger's
3- the rear luggage cargo net
4- the handy rear luggage compartment cover / mini-picnic table

I think the PT Cruiser is a bit heavier than your Plymouth Breeze, a fact that
makes it more crash-worthy (hopefully, you won't have to prove this). But this may serve to make it slightly less responsive than your Breeze was. Again good luck with your choice.
41Mopar

#6 mpearis

mpearis
  • Inactive
  • 88 posts

Posted June 11, 2005 at 09:18 am

My '01 is a touring edition with ABS and moonroof, great car and I don't want leather seats anyway. Mine is early production so no underseat tray and only ft. window switches on the dash which is a pain, make sure the one you buy has all 4 window switches on the dash. Enjoy!

#7 mitchrydyr (converted)

mitchrydyr (converted)
  • Guests

Posted July 4, 2005 at 06:50 am

The leather seats have the side impact air bag in them. The air bag splits the seam open when it pops out, so NEVER put seat covers on them. There's a patch on the side of the seat that says SRS. It means Supplimental Restraint System.
Cloth seats don't have airbags.

Sorry about that misinformation on cloth seats. What I meant to say was something more closley to the quote I found on the ptcruizer.com website.

"Supplemental side air bags are included with optional leather-trimmed seats, but otherwise are a stand-alone option."

That's what happens when my brain doesn't want to wait for my fingers to catch up.

Thanks Cudapete.

Edited by mitchrydyr, July 6, 2005 at 04:50 am.

#8 Cudapete

Cudapete
  • 3,939 posts

Posted July 4, 2005 at 10:55 am

I have an 01 TE. My cloth seats have airbags in them.

#9 Dave

Dave

It's me, Dave

• Supporters
  • Others:Superfriend
  • 20,642 posts

Posted July 4, 2005 at 12:52 pm

Breeze had a 2.0 liter Neon engine so the PT will probably be similar (about 1 second 0-60 slower with stick though) with weight countered by the extra 40% of a liter.

Breeze won the JD Power durability award as I recall and was a very well made vehicle. PT's probably got a better record but it's not like going from a 1994-production Neon...or a 1976 Volare for that matter ;)

To really get the difference between limited and touring just visit kbb.com - you'll find they listed Limited options as "Touring and..." ... the Touring did have a firmer suspension when the PT was new but I don't know if that survived to 2003, lots of other things seem to have fallen by the wayside.

#10 Rich Hutchinson

Rich Hutchinson

I'm so far behind I thought I was in first place.

• Forum Leader
  • Others:Supporters (L2)
  • 4,778 posts

Posted July 4, 2005 at 04:34 pm

Breeze won the JD Power durability award as I recall and was a very well made vehicle. PT's probably got a better record but it's not like going from a 1994-production Neon...or a 1976 Volare for that matter ;)

If my '05 PT is as reliable as my '95 (build date 12/94) Neon I'll be happy indeed :)

To really get the difference between limited and touring just visit kbb.com - you'll find they listed Limited options as "Touring and..." ... the Touring did have a firmer suspension when the PT was new but I don't know if that survived to 2003, lots of other things seem to have fallen by the wayside.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, it seems '03 was the big change year (until of course the upcoming '06). They added the turbo and body colored bumpers but 'decontented' in a few areas.

#11 Dave

Dave

It's me, Dave

• Supporters
  • Others:Superfriend
  • 20,642 posts

Posted July 5, 2005 at 07:47 am

Rich, you got a "new" Neon, mine was 9/94! Non-modular clutch, bad turn signal, weak rear springs - all fixed later.

Yup, 2003 was the decontenting year, all right...even my GT is missing some features the original base model had! But I guess that's also when they put in the rebates.

#12 Rich Hutchinson

Rich Hutchinson

I'm so far behind I thought I was in first place.

• Forum Leader
  • Others:Supporters (L2)
  • 4,778 posts

Posted July 5, 2005 at 08:07 am

Wow, you did get the 'beta' version :) Although mine had the turn signal go also. But other than the infamous HG, rear main seal, and in May the radiator, there weren't any high buck issues. And the HG was done for $100.

I think '03 was when they also stopped the folding mirrors...

In '01 and '02 the Touring was definitely a bit more than just a short list of popular options, which is what it is now.

But hey, it's the first car I've had that came with a trim badge ;)

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.