cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

Adding Refrigerant

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 adomin1000

adomin1000
  • Inactive
  • 32 posts

Posted June 18, 2005 at 11:52 am

Where can I find the low pressure valve on a 3.3L V6 1990 Plymouth voyager. I need to add some freon 12 to it, but can't seem to find it. Also, are the old R12 fittings made so you don't accidently add to the high pressure side? Thanks.

#2 95cirruslx

95cirruslx
  • Inactive
  • 509 posts

Posted June 18, 2005 at 12:02 pm

you add it to the low pressure side so the bigger line which is located close to the firewall just before the expansion valve.

#3 KOG

KOG

KOG

• 5,841 posts

Posted June 18, 2005 at 04:10 pm

High side fitting will be near radiator support in condensor line. It will be a smaller fitting requiring an adapter to connect to your gauge set. And as with all A/C systems you can get it backward. Don't.

#4 SnoMan

SnoMan
  • Inactive
  • 812 posts

Posted June 18, 2005 at 05:50 pm

you add it to the low pressure side so the bigger line which is located close to the firewall just before the expansion valve.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its AFTER the expansion valve for low pressure because it is still high pressure before the valve.

#5 KOG

KOG

KOG

• 5,841 posts

Posted June 18, 2005 at 06:56 pm

Rigth, it's after the expansion valve on the large line. And it's the only fitting anywhere near the expansion valve.

#6 95cirruslx

95cirruslx
  • Inactive
  • 509 posts

Posted June 18, 2005 at 09:15 pm

that's what i said, on r134a system you can't get it wrong because it won't fit on the high side.

Good luck

#7 AllanC

AllanC
  • 2,303 posts

Posted June 18, 2005 at 09:38 pm

In 1990 I believe the mini-vans were still using the C171 Chrysler rotary compressor. On that model the AC suction port for charging the system with refrigerant is on the compressor body near the pulley end. It will be a 7/16 inch screw fitting. The discharge port is on the discharge line near the AC condenser. It is smaller 3/8 inch fitting.

#8 JFH

JFH
  • Inactive
  • 1,255 posts

Posted June 20, 2005 at 08:20 am

that's what i said, on r134a system you can't get it wrong because it won't fit on the high side.

Good luck

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't believe Chrysler began using r134 until the 1993 models so the 1990 Plymouth voyager should be an r12 system unless it has been upgraded to r134.

#9 adomin1000

adomin1000
  • Inactive
  • 32 posts

Posted June 20, 2005 at 10:06 am

I don't believe Chrysler began using r134 until the 1993 models so the 1990 Plymouth voyager should be an r12 system unless it has been upgraded to r134.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For sure it's a r12 system. Has r12 stickers and when my girlfriend had some freon added when she first got it, she said that it was hard to get and had to go to a specialty shop. I myself am new to cars. My thing is computers, but I've been learning on my girlfriends van. So, as far as trying to find the low pressure valve, a little bit more specifics would help. And hopefully I can get some pictures taken and get some help while I'm at it. So, can I get some adding Freon for dummies help please? :) Also, is the low pressure valve accessable from the top? Thanks

Edited by adomin1000, June 20, 2005 at 02:59 pm.

#10 adomin1000

adomin1000
  • Inactive
  • 32 posts

Posted June 20, 2005 at 03:01 pm

Also, how many cans are usually needed to fill an empty tank? I don't want to underbuy.

#11 AllanC

AllanC
  • 2,303 posts

Posted June 20, 2005 at 03:30 pm

The suction port is on the compressor, pulley end. It probably should have a cap on it. When cap removed, port looks like a schrader or tire valve. You can reach the suction port from above by reaching down between engine and condenser fan. Only do this with engine NOT RUNNING. You have to be licensed to buy R12 refrigerant. Newly manufactured R12 for sale or import into the US has been banned since Dec 31, 1995. What R12 refrigerant that is available to licensed technicians is recycled and reclaimed (returned to original purity) refrigerant from salvage vehicles and refrigerators. Depending whether your van has rear AC or not, refrigerant capacity is around 40 ounces. There should be a label on the underneath side of the hood or on the AC fan condenser shroud that states the capacity.

#12 adomin1000

adomin1000
  • Inactive
  • 32 posts

Posted June 20, 2005 at 04:36 pm

Ok, so what about replacements like freeze 12? I've heard that you can add them without having to evac the old system.

Also, how am I supposed to get to it with the AC running to add to it?

Edited by adomin1000, June 20, 2005 at 04:40 pm.

#13 AllanC

AllanC
  • 2,303 posts

Posted June 20, 2005 at 07:48 pm

Do a search with google.com on text "freeze 12 refrigerant" and you will find useful information. Freeze 12 is a blend of R134a and R142b refrigerant. R142b is a HCFC refrigerant. Since it is chlorinated (like R12) you need a license to purchase it. You should not just mix various refrigerants as you upset the balance of cooling due to specific properties of the components. Freeze 12 is a blend. That means it needs to be charged as a liquid to keep the proper proportions going into the AC system. Over time if you have a leak, the different vapor pressures of the 2 blended refrigerants will cause different leak rates. That means the proportions in the blend change and this can seriously effect cooling. You really cannot "poor boy" AC work. You need a good vacuum pump and a manifold gauge set that connects to both the discharge and suction side of the system. Also you need to understand how pressure develops in the system and have some understanding of safety considerations. Open the incorrect valve on the manifold gauge set at an improper time while charging or monitoring pressures, and you can cause a rupture in the charging device and cause personal injury/death. I am not trying to scare you away from learning about AC service but you do have to understand the principles and safe operation.

#14 adomin1000

adomin1000
  • Inactive
  • 32 posts

Posted June 27, 2005 at 03:55 pm

What would be the tire looking valve on top of the engine of my voyager?

I'll post pics as soon as I find my camera cable.

#15 AllanC

AllanC
  • 2,303 posts

Posted June 27, 2005 at 05:16 pm

The schrader tire valve on top of 3.3L V6 engine is the port for measuring fuel system pressure.

#16 adomin1000

adomin1000
  • Inactive
  • 32 posts

Posted July 1, 2005 at 05:33 pm

This is the only other valve I found. It was up against the firewall. I couldn't find anything along the motor and pulleys other than the pipe that lay flat on the engine, but someone said it was not it. Is this the lowend valve?

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 adomin1000

adomin1000
  • Inactive
  • 32 posts

Posted July 1, 2005 at 05:51 pm

And if I'm not mistaken, I think that's the expansion valve on the right side of the third picture.

#18 SnoMan

SnoMan
  • Inactive
  • 812 posts

Posted July 1, 2005 at 06:26 pm

And if I'm not mistaken, I think that's the expansion valve on the right side of the third picture.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Looks like a hot water/heater control valve to me

#19 AllanC

AllanC
  • 2,303 posts

Posted July 1, 2005 at 11:19 pm

In all 3 pictures the schrader valve circled in red is the AC suction port. This line and the smaller liquid line above it end in the expansion valve. The expansion valve has a 2 wire connector attached to the AC low pressure switch. This keeps the AC clutch from engaging if the refrigerant charge is too low. SnoMan makes reference to a flow control valve for the heater. Picture 3 shows the heater core inlet/outlet tubes on the firewall. One tube has no hose connected to it so the heater core has been bypassed.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.