cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

Window Switches

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 Rich Hutchinson

Rich Hutchinson

I'm so far behind I thought I was in first place.

• Forum Leader
  • Others:Supporters (L2)
  • 4,778 posts

Posted July 19, 2005 at 03:50 pm

I'm thinking the two switches for the rear (as well as the 'locked out' logo) should be lit at night, right?

Ours aren't. The fronts are, as is the 'unlocked window' logo.

So far, that's it on the list for the dealer to look at.

#2 Bob Hohn

Bob Hohn
  • 844 posts

Posted July 19, 2005 at 06:40 pm

that would be part of Chrysler's "cost save" measures. Neither my '04 or my mom's 04 light either. I believe they started eliminating stuff like that in the '03 model year.

#3 Rich Hutchinson

Rich Hutchinson

• Forum Leader
  • 4,778 posts

Posted July 19, 2005 at 06:53 pm

Really? Hmm. Did they just not use a bulb? The switches still have the (for lack of a better term) 'window' for the light. The top lights but not the bottom?

If I didn't know better, I'd say I could not believe they would do that....

#4 Bob Hohn

Bob Hohn
  • 844 posts

Posted July 20, 2005 at 06:35 am

I don't know what they did to do that. I noticed also when I had my '04 Neon, they had removed the lights for the power locks and all the power window switches but the driver's switch. Btw, I believe they elminated the illumination for the power window switch on the PT's also.

#5 Rich Hutchinson

Rich Hutchinson

• Forum Leader
  • 4,778 posts

Posted July 20, 2005 at 06:58 am

Interesting. I've learned that the PT too had lighted power lock switches.

It's kinda cheesy removing something like that. I mean, it's not that big a deal, but it's a nice touch to have them lighted. I'll have to pop out the center switch and see if it's just a missing bulb.

#6 Bob Hohn

Bob Hohn
  • 844 posts

Posted July 20, 2005 at 11:25 am

Don't know what I was thinking when I typed my last post, but I meant to say they eliminated the power mirror switch illumination and the glove box lamp. Of course mine being a limited it would have been nice to have the fold away/heated mirrors they used to have on them too. Apparently MANY things were elminated, but the price was not lowered until the '05 model year WAY after they eliminated everything.

#7 Rich Hutchinson

Rich Hutchinson

• Forum Leader
  • 4,778 posts

Posted July 20, 2005 at 04:57 pm

Hmm. I thought the mirror controls were lit on ours. Haven't driven much at night yet :)

I noticed the glove box didn't have a light.

Maybe they cut stuff to pay for the Turbo ;)

#8 Bob Hohn

Bob Hohn
  • 844 posts

Posted July 21, 2005 at 06:52 am

I don't know Rich, it is funny how they priced the '05 models. Too me it looks like they turned the Limited equipment level down to the Touring and severly decontentd the Touring to lower the prices. At this point I guess I am in a love/hate relationship with my PT. Love the pretty good build quality and power, but hate the shaky idle and sometime very questionable shifting of the wonderful 41TE. I am finding out the intake manifold is a compromise being made of aluminum. They are using a plastic one on the late '05 and up. Suppose to offer much better flow, and more even flow than the aluminum one. One of my complaints with mine to the local dealer was sooty exhaust and cylinder 1 being quite a bit richer running than the others. Guess that will be something I have to live with, as it appears to be caused by the design of the intake manifold. Do not like the rough shaky idle when in Drive with the A/C on. It didn't do that when new. Dealer claims of course nothing wrong because there are no codes. I have tried even putting in the recommended NGK V power spark plugs thinking the idle would improve, but no. I have found that my fuel economy goes up about 2 mpg by using premium vs regular unleaded. I have also picked up a solid 1 mpg running Amsoil. I think they didn't do a very good job calibrating the computer for the Turbo Lite. I cannot really complain about my fuel economy right now, as I am getting close to 27 mpg and it is an automatic. I was only getting 22-24mpg when running the regular unleaded and running regular dino oil. I have almost 9,000 miles on her now, and I have tracked every tank of gas and what brand of gas as well as maintanence that has been done.

#9 Rich Hutchinson

Rich Hutchinson

• Forum Leader
  • 4,778 posts

Posted July 21, 2005 at 08:13 am

Is that intake manifold across the board or just the turbos? Ours was built April 14 '05. No idle complaints here (though I'm coming from a '95 Neon SOHC with the original cam, replaced in '96 to ease NVH...)

The car just hit 1000 miles on the way in this morning. Average MPG to this point is 20.6 on 4 tanks, I'm sure it'll improve. Mostly local driving. Same type of driving netted me 25 mpg average on the old Neon (auto as well). Interesting about the premium fuel upping the MPG....it offsets the higher fuel cost?

They definitely lowered the price the easy way; lowered the content. Most, but not all, of the deleted equipment can still be added. Some permanent deletions (alarm on Touring, package shelf on Base) are a bit odd. Adding cloth seats to the Ltd, IMO, is a good idea. Not everone likes leather.

I think they also trimmed it down so that when people compare the '05 to the refreshed '06, they'll say 'Wow, look at all the stuff they made standard!'. You know, short attention spans and all :)

#10 Bob Hohn

Bob Hohn
  • 844 posts

Posted July 21, 2005 at 10:42 am

I hear yah on short attention spans!

Well, remember I have a Turbo so were not talking the same deal. I am at a break even as far as $$ goes for the fuel economy. I filled up yesterday morning and it was $2.519 for Exxon Supreme vs 2.319 for the regular. Part throttle power is GREATLY improved with the premium, in fact makes it WAY to easy to spin the tires. Owner's manual specifically points out that regular(87 octane) be used for the "turbo-lite" engine, so who knows. A friend of mine who works for Siemens that has been into Chrysler Turbo's for years says ALL turbos should be run on premium for an optimum spark curve and general performance. They make the controllers there for our cars. About 6 or 7 weeks ago my mileage was down to 21mpg. I drive at least 84 miles daily for my commute. About 60 miles of that is driven at 55mph, mainly to conserve fuel. I have the option of driving on the local limited access highway, but speed limit is 65mph and that is just too fast for the PT's to get any decent fuel economy. Anyway, he suggested that I make sure the gap on the plugs was exact(which is .050 for the turbo), and to switch to premium gas. Two of the plugs were gapped at .052. Corrected that. Mileage shot back up to around 25-26. Since I went to the Amsoil, mileage went up to 27. I historically was a Mobil I user, but since Barry had talked me into trying out the Amsoil, it is pretty much what it is cracked up to be.

#11 Dave

Dave

It's me, Dave

• Supporters
  • Others:Superfriend
  • 20,650 posts

Posted July 21, 2005 at 01:03 pm

I found 65-75 mph was not a problem to get 26-27 mph on the highway - using premium. This is a five-speed though with the full turbo. I will check the gap and change the plugs at some point.

#12 Bob Hohn

Bob Hohn
  • 844 posts

Posted July 21, 2005 at 01:26 pm

Dave,

Probably should have started another thread for this.... :unsure:

What does your 5 speed tach at 65mph? Mine is right on 2500 rpm. I haven't compared directly yet to see how much exactly I lose driving at 65 yet. Coming soon though! My commute is pretty consistant for that type of stuff now. The guy said you could go as low at .045 on the plugs. DON'T go past the .050 on the turbos though. Seems to be what I have read on the SRT4 forums. Those guys seem to like the NGK's too. My Champions were pretty used up at 4500 miles, I was VERY disappointed in them.

#13 barry

barry
  • 320 posts

Posted July 22, 2005 at 06:51 am

Bob - what AMSOIL weight are you now running and what are your change intervals? I can't bring myself to run more than 8-10,000 changes on the NEON but have continued the 15,000 changes on the Ram (with a filter at midpoint).

Hope all is well!

#14 Bob Hohn

Bob Hohn
  • 844 posts

Posted July 22, 2005 at 07:22 am

Barry, because the PT is under warranty, I will only be going the maximum recommended change, which for the Turbo is 6mos/5000 miles. Yeah I know expensive way to go, but the underhood heat is UNREAL on the turbo PT's. This is the second time I have had Amsoil in my PT, 0w/30 both times. My previous oil change was with Havoline SM rated 5/30. I was initially impressed with it, but it got a really bad odor around 2500 miles, which prompted me to change it out a little early. That did not happen when I had the Amsoil in there, even though the Amsoil went for 6mos(3100 miles). To be honest with you, the primary reason for going with the Amsoil is that my experience is you get a little quieter engine operation and a measurable increase in fuel economy(solid 1 mpg improvement). I was not getting that with Mobil I, unfortunately. Besides the fact when I ran Mobil I in my mother's PT(same exact as mine except for color), the engine was rather noisy during warmup. Sorry, but I just cannot get past the fact that a simple oil change can make your engine noisy, as this didn't start till the oil was changed to Mobil I and went away after switching brands(her's has Havoline right now). I have not used Mobil I in my PT. Honestly, we had PM'd each other about the extended changes in the Neon's, and after my experience I had with my '00 Neon(screwed engine), you'd be CRAZY to go beyond 5-6,000 miles on a change. Neon engines just seem to be extremely rough on oil. I do not see where that extra 2-3000 miles is worth the chance of ruining the bearings. My experience with Neon's and my family's experience with them is when you go with extended changes/and or letting them get low on oil(even a quart down) is very BAD for the bearings in them. 2.0 engines do not sound very good anyway, and when they have bad bearings the really sound bad!

#15 JimW

JimW
  • 118 posts

Posted August 7, 2005 at 09:28 pm

For the record, (and in answere to the orginal question):

On our '03 Touring --

the dash switches for the front windows labeled "AUTO" are illuminated, the rear window dash switches and the rear window switches on the console are not.

On our '04 Limited --

the dash switches for the front AND rear windows are all illuminated, the rear window switches on the console are not.

Neither of the power lock switches are illuminated on either car.

I've looked at the switches on the '03, it doesn't look like there's anyplace for any bulbs...perhaps they're LED's...?

#16 Rich Hutchinson

Rich Hutchinson

• Forum Leader
  • 4,778 posts

Posted August 8, 2005 at 09:56 am

That's the second time I've heard that. Weird, though not unexpected. LEDs are likely. Haven't had time to explore ;)

#17 imickey503

imickey503
  • Inactive
  • 34 posts

Posted May 3, 2007 at 07:54 am

thre incadesent lamps, and they die really esially

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.